Another Shortie

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Superb Steve - just goes to show you don't need to be afraid of high ISO if you get the exposure right

Love the first pose with the raised wings but they're both really good shots

Mike

Superb Steve - just goes to show you don't need to be afraid of high ISO if you get the exposure right

Mike
Thanks Mike , one of the big advantages I have found having switched to Sony mirrorless in that what you see in the viewfinder is real life , so I cranked the ISO up until the exposure was right in camera and suffered no real noise issues at 12800. In my canon days I would have dialled in some exposure compensation at what I thought was required but still some guesswork involved and may have resulted in an under exposed shot which could have given me problems in pp.

A couple of beauties, Steve.

The more I see of shots taken with Sony gear, the more I think a change would be in order, how do you think the 200-600 compares in quality to my Canon 500f4LIS?

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I know someone who is besotted with sony now, especially the zebras feature for exposure.

I was really close to switching to Sony myself but wasnt sure if the 200-600 was fast enough and I couldn't come close to affording the 600mm f4.

Looks like you're doing just fine with it though

Mike
Thanks Mike , one of the big advantages I have found having switched to Sony mirrorless in that what you see in the viewfinder is real life , so I cranked the ISO up until the exposure was right in camera and suffered no real noise issues at 12800. In my canon days I would have dialled in some exposure compensation at what I thought was required but still some guesswork involved and may have resulted in an under exposed shot which could have given me problems in pp.

You have grasped the way with that Sony gear Steve .two superb images far better than any from your canon days ,and I know the one important bit your not mentioning both of these will be handheld to

I know what you mean, I know someone who is besotted with sony now, especially the zebras feature for exposure.

I was really close to switching to Sony myself but wasnt sure if the 200-600 was fast enough and I couldn't come close to affording the 600mm f4.

Mike
I had the same doubts about the lens Mike but they quickly disappeared , it is tack sharp on either the A9ii or the A7Riv , I was planning on getting the 600F4 at some point but genuinely not sure I would see a huge difference now considering the cash outlay required so may not bother.

A couple of beauties, Steve.

The more I see of shots taken with Sony gear, the more I think a change would be in order, how do you think the 200-600 compares in quality to my Canon 500f4LIS?
My previous set up was a Canon 1DX and the 500F4mk2 Canon prime lens and I had used Canon cameras all my life but in all honesty I see very little difference in the quality of my end results and in many cases the Sony images are better. The 200-600 when mounted on my A9ii is blisteringly fast , sharp and the speed of focus and tracking ability of the combo far surpasses anything I have ever experienced with Canon. The big difference is obviously F4 vs F6.3 but again I have not missed the F4 apeture as much as I thought I would but obviously would prefer F4 if I could have it.

Mike
I am thrilled with the Sony gear for all sorts of reasons Mike that I am sure you are aware of and have not regretted the switch for a second.

You have grasped the way with that Sony gear Steve .two superb images far better than any from your canon days ,and I know the one important bit your not mentioning both of these will be handheld to
Thanks mate and yes you are correct , the tripod has not bee out of the house since the day the new kit arrived and I can hand hold the set up all day on a good shoulder strap as you have witnessed from our recent day out.

Steve, what stunning captures

Two "Cracking" shots, nuff said.

George.

To get a quality shot like this in low light conditions is a testament to your skills..superb...(y)

Mike
I don't think my Canon 7D MKII could cope with that ISO - but I could be wrong but of course this is a lot more expensive.

It'll be a bit too far for a 7d2, but it still shows how you can push the ISO out of your comfort zone. For the 7d2 I think 3200 is about as far as you can go, 6400 with good technique and a sharp file exposed over to the right.

Mike

It'll be a bit too far for a 7d2, but it still shows how you can push the ISO out of your comfort zone. For the 7d2 I think 3200 is about as far as you can go, 6400 with good technique and a sharp file exposed over to the right.

Mike
I shot with a 7D2 for a number of years and would agree with Mike's comment , dont recall ever taking a shot over 3200 and I always that was pushing it too far.

Mike
How does technique help with ISO?

How does technique help with ISO?

Getting the exposure over to the right of the histogram as far as possible without blowing highlights in any important area, getting the focus absolutely bang on, ensuring the file is as sharp as possible with good hand holding or tripod techniques, timing your shot so the subject is as large as it can be (for the composition you're after) in the frame, be it waiting for it to come close, or good fieldcraft, then good processing.

All these things go in some way to avoiding noise

Look at Steves shot here and the techs - ISO 12800 and 1/1600th being the important ones. Loads of people would have tried to keep the ISO to 3200, reduce the shutter speed a stop, then recover the exposure later in post. However, Steve has made sure he has enough shutter speed to get it sharp, and looking at the bright areas in shot, I'd guess (could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time!) that the highlights were close to blowing so he had a really good file to process, and the end result speaks for itself.

Had he gone ISO 3200 and 1/800th he would have had a mushy shot despite the 2 stop ISO difference

Mike

Last edited:
2 very well handled shots, just excellent.

Back