Ant eating Wasp

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
surly its there are ant's legs sticking out from the wasps mandibles or my eyes playing up ? :O)

Last edited:
Gil nice work and great wasp behaviour shots

surly its there are ant's legs sticking out from the wasps mandibles or my eyes playing up ? :O)

No those are mouth parts of the wasp as seen here on a more ordinary UK wasp not sure what they are called ants have them too Ants, wasps and bees are related

Wasp 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Too many on the general forums looking for macro gear dismiss Raynox

Too many on the general forums looking for macro gear dismiss Raynox

I'm pretty new to the available equipment for Macro I have to admit. I've enjoyed the convenience of the Raynox microscopic attachment, being able to put it on and remove it dependant on the size of the specimen and how close I can get to it. I do find it impossible to setup a tripod quickly enough here as the insects are so intelligent and you can see them turn their heads as you approach and many of them simply fall of the leaf or twig as a defense mechanism of they notice you, which seems to pretty regularly. The undergrowth is so dense, forget finding them again. I've therefore had to work handheld and grab shots by 'swaying' in and out, using a focus setting that doesn't give too much magnification with the attachment and using a small aperture to help. The results aren't always perfect as you can imagine and so I attempt this several times until I get something I'm happy with - with regards where the focus plane is.

I'm finding that my D750 is too slow at shutter actuation when using live view and this is a major hindering for capturing sale moving creatures in the ground. When it's in focus, by the time you press the shutter button and it actuates, the insect had wondered closer to the camera frustratingly resulting in many back focused photos.

Perhaps it's time to move to mirrorless with focus magnification and peaking.

Would be interested to understand the other options to a Raynox attachment. What would the benefits of other equipment be? What do other people use?

Focus stacking sounds interesting but again out here it's very hard to find much that stays still giving time to setup a tripod and take multiple exposures without any movement

Last edited:
Focus stacking sounds interesting but again out here it's very hard to find much that stays still giving time to setup a tripod and take multiple exposures without any movement
My OMD Em1 mk2 does hand held in camera stacks

My OMD Em1 mk2 does hand held in camera stacks
The subject needs to be still and you need to be good at keeping the camera still. Have you had success with it.

Not likely for a subject like this.

Does the camera do a burst and build the stacked image in body, or do you have to use computer software to build the stacked image afterwards? Is it a case of focusing on the leading edge first and letting the camera automatically take multiple exposures while it automatically adjusts focus for you? Do you have any more examples :).

Does the camera do a burst and build the stacked image in body, or do you have to use computer software to build the stacked image afterwards? Is it a case of focusing on the leading edge first and letting the camera automatically take multiple exposures while it automatically adjusts focus for you? Do you have any more examples :).
It bursts and builds in the body, but also gives you all the images as well. I have the manual but a friend has the real book, not by Oly and tells me that the shots stacked are not in a linear sequence, something like front, middle, back then the inbetweens.

I'm not sure with how the Olympus colours look. I'm quite keen to go Fuji for fun, and try the XH-1. Not sure if anybody shoots Macro with that body.

I like the colours I get from my Olympus cameras :olympus:

Back