Non UK Antarctica

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Antarctica at the beginning of February and wondered if anyone else here had been?
Any tips or suggestions of things to make life easier when it comes to photography?

Equipment I'm currently taking:
Canon 5DMK1v
Canon 80D
Lenses all L series
16-35 IS F4
24-105 IS F4
70-300 IS F4
Macbook pro with Luminar and Photoshop
Back up Hard drive
Black rapid strap and Peak design clip

I was debating also taking my monopod, but when I took it to the Galapagos I never used it once.

We are also visiting Chile, the Falklands, South Georgia and Patagonia

Last edited:
It doesn't exist and no one actually goes there. I've been watching too many flat earth videos :)

Off the top of my head - what about a neutral density filter or two? You will probably not always want to shoot at daft apertures or very high shutter speeds.
Lots of batteries because of the temperature

Last edited:
Have you contacted Canon and asked them about using their cameras and lenses in such low temperatures? There may be an external battery pack you can tuck into your jacket to keep it warm and operates more effectively.

Its not actually that cold at that time of year, back then I took:-
1Ds mk2
5D Mk1
16-35 F2.8L
24-70 F2.8
70-200 F4L is
300 F4L is
1.4 Extender
small laptop, rugged hard drive

The F4s are always a good move because of weight. When we first went walking nearly everybody wore virtually every item of clothing they possessed and after 20 minutes started to take them off again. Many thin layers is always good. Didn't take a tripod and never missed one but a lightweight tripod could be good. Its brilliant... Have fun

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping the 70-300mm will be sufficient, especially if I use it on the crop camera (same difference though really). It's why I chose this lens rather than carry 2 to cover the range.

Totally agree with F4 zooms for travel, sunsets aren’t very good in february.
Have a great time

I think you're well sorted on the kit front. I've just got back from a trip to Antarctica and I took:
5D Mk IV
7D Mk II
100-400 Mk II
24-105 f/4 L Mk II
16-35 f/4 L
Laptop

Pretty similar to your setup. The 100-400 lived on the 7D Mk II, and I switched between the 24-105 and the 16-35 on the 5D Mk IV.

If you're willing to flesh out your itinerary a bit - where you're going and especially how you're travelling there and around - I'd be happy to offer any tidbits of advice that occur to me based on my recent experience.

I'm not taking a tripod. With the wet landings you make it's just an unnecessary extra. This is what I found with the monopod in the Galapagos.

We are flying into Santiago (2 nights here), then Punta Arenas (2 nights), this is to ensure we are in position in case of flight delays or cancellations. We fly to the Falklands to join our Expedition ship and explore here for 2 days, South Georgia for 4 days and then Elephant Island (but I'd be surprised if we get an opportunity to land). After this we spend 5 days in the Peninsula before returning to Punta Arenas. We have 4 nights in Torres del Paine, Patagonia before we move to El Calafate and finally Buenos Aires. All told we are away for a month.

This was always my dream trip unless I could also get to visit Scott's cabin on the opposite side of the continent, (not likely given the cost and distance). So it's my retirement treat after running my own business for the last 27 years, when I could only take a maximum of 2 weeks off.

Stewart - I'd be very interested to hear any tips our thoughts from your experiences

Have you contacted Canon and asked them about using their cameras and lenses in such low temperatures? There may be an external battery pack you can tuck into your jacket to keep it warm and operates more effectively.

I used my 5D Mk IV and lenses at -35c air temperature in Siberia last year they were fine

Also fly my Mavic Pro out there with no problems (think the min operating temperature is something like 0c)

Heading off on Monday, via Chile, the only issue is the weight of my gear as we have a strict limit on one flight of 20kgs per person (or 40kg per couple) INCLUDING hand luggage. Despite trimming everything back and bearing in mind we are away for a month, our total stands at 45kgs.

I'm thinking I'll have to wear the cameras and slip another lens in my pocket!

Only thing other I've added to my original list are a pair of Polarising filters which were recommended to me.

Last edited:
Can't offer any advice other than to keep spare batteries close to your body (to keep them warm) and to stick any depleted ones in a different pocket in a similarly warm place - if the cold has hastened the depletion, warming them up should get some extra life out of them.

Most importantly, have a great trip!

Have a great time... shouldn't be too cold, probably down to -4 or something like that at worse.

I'm sure it will be great, 2 years in the planning and somewhere I've always wanted to travel to.

Wow, you have some fabulous images on that link. I'm so jealous, I would love to visit South Georgia and visit my hero's grave (Shackleton) as well as all those amazing vistas and wildlife.
Love the Two whale tails image.....are those kayakers in the background?

Did I mention......jealous;)

Just had a look through your flickr link...…..wow, particularly those crowded penguin shots are amazing.

Back