Antartica and South Georgia - penguins, whales, birds and seals

Edit My Images
Yes
Some pictures I took whilst on our recent trip to Antartica and South Georgia - just an amazing trip.
Not totally happy with the quality of all my pictures but overall the experience beats worrying about settings, focus and just looking through a camera the whole time!

Seeing over 50,000 king penguins in one colony just blows your mind...

The Owl was shot in Patagonia

Just figure out how to link to individual pics sos few shown here.

More on the link below...

Flickr Link

Last edited:
The iceberg and the whales is an absolute stunner!

Thanks very much, Every lucky really, taken from a Zodiac, yo can just see the Kayaks in the BG, the iceberg was about the size of St Pauls.

An amazing experience having these whales feeding right round us.

Thanks very much, Every lucky really, taken from a Zodiac, yo can just see the Kayaks in the BG, the iceberg was about the size of St Pauls.

An amazing experience having these whales feeding right round us.

I didn't notice the kayaks at first. They really give a sense of scale to the iceberg.

This has to be one of the best images I've ever seen on TP. Congrats!

Last edited:
Not sure how this is done? Can I upload?
I tried to share the link to a single image but it didn't want to show it...
When I tried to upload it said it was too large for the server...
I see you cracked it, but have a look HERE for future reference, sizes etc

Excellent set of shots, but I just hope the tourism is controlled to places like this.

What a fabulous trip, and some great photos there. :)

The whale fluke shot is amazing - it looks like a big framed photo we used to have in our lounge as a kid - that's like the money shot for whale fans! I was just in Iceland and we saw a humpback but not close enough to get a fluke shot like this! <3 Did they happen to name the whales you saw? I follow WDC and had adopted a humpback for a year and it would be interesting to know which whales these are and if they are known ones. I hate small boats, but i think i would be tempted, just to get that close to my favourite whale, it might make me forget that im hating every minute lol

I do agree that i hope the tourism is being heavily monitored here, us humans are right s*** bags! i've always wanted to go to the Galapagos islands but part of me now feels too intrusive in doing so.

but stunning photos - what an experience! a few pretty pennies for that one!

What's up with the quality. I'd be made up with shots like these.

The company we travelled with was called OneOcean, Canadian, and I was really impressed by the quality of briefings, safety and attention t detail. For example before we landed on South Georgia we had to completely go over all boots, jackets, trousers and camera bags to ensure there was not a scrap of material which might contain seeds or pests. The boat only carried 95 guests (plus crew) and all the landings were carefully organised and agreed in advance. All boots were disinfected before and after every landing.

I know that numbers have increased but it's been a long time dream of mine to travel there and if they do start to control access then I'm glad I've made the trip now. It really was one of the most stunning places I've visited.

I've also been lucky enough to visit the Galapagos and the main islands are much busier, however once you get away from this then it is very quiet and remote.

I need to upload some of my whale flukes and ask for identification.

What's up with the quality. I'd be made up with shots like these.

Some of my other shots are not as sharp as I'd like, or too much noise/cropping, don't get me wrong I'm really pleased but when I looked at some the on-board resident photographer got I was a bit jealous. On the other hand he's spent years doing this type of work

What a wonderful experience I am so so jealous that is the trip of a lifetime. They are all beautiful images and special in their own way but the one with the twin tail flukes I'd print as large as possible and it'd get pride of place in my home or anywhere else for that matter. Thank you for putting them here.

Some of my other shots are not as sharp as I'd like, or too much noise/cropping, don't get me wrong I'm really pleased but when I looked at some the on-board resident photographer got I was a bit jealous. On the other hand he's spent years doing this type of work
The penguins and seal one is begging for a caption.
That's my favorite btw.

I had a dream there was a pod of fin possibly humpback whales, and an orca off the thames estuary and they were lunge feeding and spy hopping and i was getting great photos! sadly all a dream!

I really do love that fluke close up!

WHAT tour were you on to get these. They are amazing shots!!!! love these!

WHAT tour were you on to get these. They are amazing shots!!!! love these!
Thank you - It was a One Ocean expedition trip to South Georgia and Antartica. Very good company, but I'll admit it was the most expensive holiday I've ever booked in my life (my retirement present to myself after 25 yrs of running my own business)
If you do decide to go don't miss South Georgia...
https://www.oneoceanexpeditions.com/antarctica

Damn it makes me sad looking back at these pictures...
however in September we should finally be off to High Greenland and the NW Passage after this was cancelled last year.

Take me with you or get me off of this planet. ;)

Back