Ants Portraits

Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a while since my last post in here, haven't got much chance to do the bugs hunt and the weather didn't help neither. However, summer is coming and hopefully we all can find more critters to photograph with.
Here are some shots I took in Hong Kong countryside, nothing spectacular, as I only had a limited time spent in there and those ants were all on the tree!! Anyway, hope you will like them:)

Nice to see you back Icy and lovely pics of the Ants, Keep it up and post more.

Great set of shots. Can't believe the detail.

Thanks Robert:)

I do indeed… like Robert says, cool details! (y)

Thanks Daniel:)

Huge fan of Ants having my own leafcutter ant colony, so love your pic very much. :)..

Thanks Andrew:) I like ants as well but they tend to move very fast;) I was lucky to get those shots.

Nice to see you back Icy and lovely pics of the Ants, Keep it up and post more.

Thanks Graham:) Happy to be back and hope more bugs coming:D

Nice set, great detail.

Thanks Leroy:)

Superb set Icy

Thanks Neil:) Warming up for the busy (hopefully) summer:D

Nice set Icy. I particularly like the first four, most especially #2 and #3.

I'm still not finding much at all this year by way of insects etc. :(

Thanks Nick:) Me neither, I haven't seen much in my garden ever since I got back which is quite depressing. I think I will go to the local nature reserve more often this year to find more bugs.

Thanks Gary:)

Very nice work Icy #4 is my fave

I LOVE these...can you tell me what lens you use for these, settings etc....Im a beginner and would love to one day be able to produce something like this!

I LOVE these...can you tell me what lens you use for these, settings etc....Im a beginner and would love to one day be able to produce something like this!

Thanks Kelly:) I was using a Nikon D7100 with a Sigma 105mm and Raynox 250 attachment, also a Nissin i40. My setting with the mentioned is normally 1/200, F.13 - F.18, depending on how small the bug is. If without the Raynox, I tend to use 1/200,F.11. The flash and a home-made diffuser is a must.

My setup:

Inside the chocolate tube, I put a layer of tin foil on the side and a cut-off packaging form in between the flash and external diffuser. @GardenersHelper has more experience about diffusing the flash and with excellent result that you can seek advise from him.

Just go out and practice and you soon will be able to take great macro shots but be warn, it is highly additive:D:p Any questions,just ask and I will answer as my best with my limited knowledge;)

Kelly
Have a look at these threads

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

and if you are up for an epic try here (be warned I mean epic Nick has some great info though)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-dslr-primes-a-journey-of-exploration.531050/

@GardenersHelper has more experience about diffusing the flash and with excellent result that you can seek advise from him.

@kellyamina, I have a rather odd setup which probably won't be much help to you. I suggest you have a look through the Show us your macro rig thread to see the variety of setups people here have invented, many of them very inexpensive. Everyone has their own favourite, and people often try several different setups before finding what they are most at home with.

be warn, it is highly additive:D:p

Very true. :)

Thanks everyone! Hof, that's quite a set up, I have lots to learn! I have a Nikon d7100 and a sigma 105 too...... ill have a good read of the links, thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Hof, that's quite a set up, I have lots to learn! I have a Nikon d7100 and a sigma 105 too...... ill have a good read of the links, thanks!

You are welcomed and just start a new post if you encounter any queries, as you can see here that we have a lot of lovely members with tones of knowledge are willing to help:)

Just take you camera out to the garden and start shooting:D

Back