Any Amateur Radio operators here?

I've joined two 891 groups on FB, another two on Reddit, and an FT8 group on FB as well (Plus a Yaesu owners group). There's not a lot of info out there for a Mac and the 891. One I get it working, I'll do a write up....

@Jelster you should be able to just pretty much plug and play the FT891 into a Mac, using the USB connection. What software are you using on the Mac? I use JTDX for FT8/4 on a MacBook connected to Kenwood rigs but it should be just as easy with the Yaesu rig. I use MacLoggerDX for logging and that works quite happily with JTDX for logging contacts directly.

I've swapped over to JTDX and managed to get my first FT8 QSO - into Austria. 20w on 20metres.

Thanks for the direction Lindsay....

@Jelster Excellent!! Glad to hear it, well done. So glad I could help.

You will want to tweak or play with the decode settings over time, ie fast or medium and so on. My gear isn't on at present but I'll note my settings in JTDX and PM them to you when I next fire up the shack.

Last edited:
I’ve done FT8 on a Mac with my Yaesu FT991A, getting rig control working was a bit of a faff, because the radio has a sound card built in, it only needed one USB cable :)

Well this FT8 is a blast on low power. 20w into Brazil on 20M through a HWEF for 40 and no ATU.....

Due to health I'm stuck indoors at the moment, and this is definitely providing some relief.

@Rob 80386 The 891 doesn't have a sound card, but it does a USB port. I think, in time, I will find a cheap used Windows laptop just for my Radio stuff.

Just passed my Full licence exam :)

now have to wait a few days to get my new callsign

We done Rob, nice one.

I'm G3VGR, licensed since May 1966 but not been active for the last 4 years. I used to be keen on DXing and contesting, all on CW, but fell out of love with the hobby and sold off most of my kit, including the Elecraft K2/100 that I built from a kit. I still have an IC706mkIIG in case the bug bites me again

Well today I worked the Azores, on voice, on 10m. I've managed it on FT8 a few times, but I love working 10m SSB. I'm considering making a 2 element cubical quad for 10m, just not sure where I'll put it.

Ordered an ATU today in the Black Friday deals, and bought one of those cheap Chinese dual band handhelds for £20. I have a 2m repeater not far from me, it is over a hill but with a dipole outside I should access it OK.

I still have an IC706mkIIG in case the bug bites me again

I remember when the 706 came out, I was working for Lynchy at the time, complete game changer they were... Everybody wanted to work mobile, myself & Chris Taylor (who now manages Moonraker) had them in our cars and we used to talk on 40m on the way home.....

I have an Icom 706mk2 the I got hoping for coverage of all but 23cm, however I found out when I'd got it it didn't cover 70cm. No big deal. My only problem is sorting a decent mobile antenna, I've tried a Muti tap style but just couldn't get a decent enough SWR. I'm just going to look for a few cheapish whips for single bands in the sales. I have an Icom 7300 and Yeasu FDT400DX for base use, maybe next year I'll treat myself to a base 2/70/23cm rig and have a play with microwaves. Probably beam it towards the neighbour I hate and push 1kw lol.

I have an Icom 706mk2 the I got hoping for coverage of all but 23cm, however I found out when I'd got it it didn't cover 70cm. No big deal. My only problem is sorting a decent mobile antenna, I've tried a Muti tap style but just couldn't get a decent enough SWR. I'm just going to look for a few cheapish whips for single bands in the sales. I have an Icom 7300 and Yeasu FDT400DX for base use, maybe next year I'll treat myself to a base 2/70/23cm rig and have a play with microwaves. Probably beam it towards the neighbour I hate and push 1kw lol.

There's not much out there in terms of VHF/UHF base units, the Icom 9700 being (I think) the only one and you need very deep pockets. An FT 991A will give you the output on 2m & 70cms, but if you could find an old FT736R, you could run it with a couple of amplifiers to give you some decent output. I owned a 736 with the 6m module fitted, bought it from Martin Lynch when I was working there, it came in as a P/X and I snapped it up quickly. It got sold off when I closed my station as it wasn't getting any use. I now wish I had just put it away in it's box and up in the loft. :banghead:

ts2000X will give you everything inc 23cms, also good radio for satelite tracking,
im looking for another not had one for a while, i ran a yaesu ft1000 as my mobile radio sat on the dash board of my volvo FH12 , also ran an end fed wire antenna on the back of the cab 3 mtrs of wire fed with sgc smart tuner, worked the world with it, at one point i was running an old yaesu ft101 z mobile on a dc/dc converter, was a bit dodgy plate and loading while driving but damd good fun, i miss my radios, i need some more
chris M1TRC dah di dah

A lot has changed Chris, I restarted in 2013 after a similar gap and it was a bit of a learning curve if you want to explore the digital modes. To an extent it is made harder or easier depending on what rig you use - the more recent ones have a usb interface which helps.

Well, another first for me: 60m... Had my first 60m QSO this evening.

Anything below 30m was knocking out the broadband router, so I built an "ugly balun" utilising some RG214 I had in the garage, and some 110mm PVC waste pipe.

Tada..... I can now use 40/60/80 without issue.

@Jelster I need to do that too - when I transmit on 80m my smoke alarm goes off! Strange though that it only started happening very recently, so maybe my feeder has gone dodgy.

Well, another first for me: 60m... Had my first 60m QSO this evening.

Anything below 30m was knocking out the broadband router, so I built an "ugly balun" utilising some RG214 I had in the garage, and some 110mm PVC waste pipe.

Tada..... I can now use 40/60/80 without issue.
@Jelster I need to do that too - when I transmit on 80m my smoke alarm goes off! Strange though that it only started happening very recently, so maybe my feeder has gone dodgy.

Ahh the dreaded RF in the shack,
I had that problem with my EFHW wire antenna, anything over 50W of power made my computer crash, sorted it by installing a 1:1 line isolator, moving the antenna feed point to the other end of the garden and burying the coax.
also fitted a ferrite choke to my USB cable going to the rig with a couple of turns through the ferrite, the computer doesn’t complain anymore even with the radio dialled right up full 100W barefoot into the antenna

So, Something really special for me... When the Falklands crisis happened, I was in the TA, and was mobilised to go to the Rhine to replace a unit, so the VP8 callsign has a bit of special place for me as one of the guys that got me involved with the TA moved his family down there a few years after it was over.

I had never managed to work VP8 in my earlier years, even when the sun spot cycle was in a better place. So imagine how I felt when I saw VP8LP pop up on my FT8 screen this morning on 17m.... It took a few attempts, but I got him on 10w....

I love radio....

A couple of interesting vids on you tube about the Falklands how hams got the message out that they had been invaded.

Falklands

Falklands 2

I tried the radio out again the other day (2 meters FM) and left it sat on the calling frequency for about 5 hours whilst I was packing things up for my house move I heard a grand total of zero calls. Before I packed it away I wired the old CB up I used to use a professional tool ( HGV driving) put a mobile antenna on the mount and then had an hours conversation with a group of people about How they were involved in various 11 meter SSB nets and contests on the now legal AM/SSB/FM frequencies. I have to say it seems far more interesting than what is left on VHF here in the Midlands, not one repeater is still in operation that I knew. As a HGV driver I used to spend many hours each day on the repeaters from Scotland to Cornwall until someone came up with ctcss and killed them all for national mobile operation. I was that disappointed that I very nearly chucked the radio away with all the other tat I had sorted out. The only thing that saved it was the fact that when I'm near the coast I can use it to listen to the VHF marine band. Is it only HF that is used now days.

Last edited:
Well, I sorted out my shack RF problem with a choke balun initially but then discovered a bad solder joint in one of the patch leads between radio and antenna switch, so I'm now good for 80m again, and in fact I'm also getting a decent SWR on 60m so have been having contacts there for a new band. Like Brad I've had one rig tuned to 2m FM calling frequency when I'm in the shack, with just the very occasional CQ from a local, and a rather dull sounding local net on another frequency some days. I used to do a lot when I was first on 2m FM back in the 70's, so it is disappointing.

I find I'm spending a bit less time on the radio at present, being fairly busy with work and also in my new awards manager role with the RSGB. Enjoying that though. I'm looking forward to retiring later this year so I have more time for operating and construction (not that I'm very food at the later but I enjoy it).

It seems 2m is dead in a lot of places. I can access our local repeater on my cheap dual band handy, so I leave that tuned into the repeater when I'm in the shack. Must get a cheap 2m FM radio for the car. I know that Moonraker do the Anytone 779UV for £89. It's up to 25w and every UK analogue repeater is pre-programmed, so it has to be worth it for that money.

Have you all had you email about changes to you license with regard to new EMF regulations ? It is going to alter licenses that can transmit more than 10 watts I haven't read it all yet but it's worth a bit of reading ! It says one way of compling is to make sure you do not transmit with more than 10 watts ! From thier website

What do I need to do to comply ?

If you have not already done so, you will need to carry out an assessment to check that your radio equipment operates within the ICNIRP general public limits.
One simple way you could do this is by ensuring your equipment never transmits above 10 W EIRP (6.1 W ERP).
You could also follow any manufacturers’ instructions relating to EMF compliance when you install and operate your equipment or ask a radio industry professional to install your equipment to ensure EMF compliance.
Alternatively, you can use Ofcom’s EMF calculator to work out the compliance distance you’ll need to maintain between members of the general public and your transmitter. In general, higher powers will result in larger compliance distances. You can use the EMF calculator to perform this calculation.
Other acceptable methods are included in our detailed Guidance on EMF Compliance and Enforcement.You’ll also need to keep evidence showing how you comply (see How do I show Ofcom my equipment is operating within the ICNIRP general public

Last edited:
It's really basic stuff though. Using that calculator, running 100w on any HF band is just over 2m. Most of us have our antennas up higher than that, so it will mean no change. In fact, even running a high power DX station on 2m, with a big yagi, won't be too bad as the antenna is generally up above the house, that's plenty of distance.

The RSGB produced a friendly version of the OfCom calculator which I used - I'll try to find the link for it. As Steve says, in reality it makes no difference to the vast majority of us.

I must admit I only every used to use 5 watts or less so it wouldn't have bothered me anyway listening to some of the first comments about this it sounded like a bit of a nightmare but is really a tick box exorcise. I was going to set the radio up in my new house but unfortunately as said before it is totally dead here and the new house is well out in the sticks so proberbly would be worse. I only have 2 meters FM and an old 2 meter SSB radio so I'm stuck to the one band.

I think the one thing we all need to do is to run the assessment then print it out, and keep it with you licence. If you change your antenna system then you'l need to run it again.

BYW, I finally got version 2 of my RF choke set up, and have moved the balun to the long wire up to the top of the gable end. This has resulted in no more issues with the BT router when on40 metres and below. Quite enjoying 60m actually.

Does anyone know of any good UK based Ham Forums ? I have used Transmission 1 in the past but I think it's more biased toward CB and PMR446.

Thanks all

I look at HamRadioDeals but many of the posters are rabid Brexiteers and jingoists, so you need to filter the general discussion forum heavily - although the software used doesn't allow filtering or likes/dislikes. There are some useful technical forums though.

I agree Steve, 60m is a nice gentle band in my recent new experience. That and 30m are my favourites I think these days, until we get more sunspots.

Brad, I sympathise. On 2m I just have a groundplane antenna at about 12 feet high for various reasons, so the best I can get is a twice weekly club net based about 10 miles away and the odd very local amateur on FM simplex. So different to when I was first licensed and us B-licensees could only use 2m and above, the repeaters and ssb section were almost always busy.

Does anyone know of any good UK based Ham Forums ? I have used Transmission 1 in the past but I think it's more biased toward CB and PMR446.

Thanks all

Only one I have found: https://www.hamradiotoday.uk/

But it's very sparsely populated. I tend to use a couple of Facebook groups

Amateur Radio UK - https://www.facebook.com/groups/486485818108768

Radio Society of Great Britain - Unofficial Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539751279628519

M7 and returning licensees – RSGB help and advice - https://www.facebook.com/groups/RSGBnewlicensees

2M can be a bit slow, as Lindsay says, back when we had the old B licence there was much more activity. Personally I'd like to see more band restrictions on the foundation licence. to encourage more use of 70cms, 2m, 6, & 10m.

Lindsay, 30m is one of my favourite bands for FT8, but I know have to wait until the edge of the band going off to find any new countries. Amazingly South America has been open on 18m quite a bit the last few days. Can't wait for 10m to come alive again, 3,000km simplex on FM is pretty cool!

Agree with all that Steve - I wasn't aware of a couple of those fora myself so will take a look.
I've never used FM on 10m, maybe will try that in a couple of years when we are on the up in the sunspot cycle.
Interesting idea - we have the IARU Region 1 award and a 28MHz-specific version, I wonder if I ought to introduce a WARC bands version too (30/17/12m)? We do that for the Worked ITU Zones award. Something to mull over.

Agree with all that Steve - I wasn't aware of a couple of those fora myself so will take a look.
I've never used FM on 10m, maybe will try that in a couple of years when we are on the up in the sunspot cycle.
Interesting idea - we have the IARU Region 1 award and a 28MHz-specific version, I wonder if I ought to introduce a WARC bands version too (30/17/12m)? We do that for the Worked ITU Zones award. Something to mull over.

One of the good things about using a non resonant antenna is that you can use it anywhere... My wire & mAT30 tuner work from 160 through to 6, not that I ever hear anybody on top band, I have S9 of noise here, I'm pretty sure it's a local electric fence keeping the goats in...

2M can be a bit slow, as Lindsay says, back when we had the old B licence there was much more activity. Personally I'd like to see more band restrictions on the foundation licence. to encourage more use of 70cms, 2m, 6, & 10m.

I agree with the band restrictions for various classes of licenses I remember when 2E stations were restricted to various bands and 3 watts ,70cm was covered in them, I think now you just get the Foundation run everything flat out 100 watts whose going to know anyway ! The system does not encourage people to progress. I've always thought if something is hard to get or difficult to do it weeds out the people who haven't really got the passion to do something. I have a couple of scanners from my fathers collection and know where I'm moving to there are at least 3 or 4 70cms repeaters I'll have a listen on them and see if there is any activity then maybe get a 70cm radio. I must admit when they dropped the morse it really peeved me off I had worked really hard to get the A license and the M0 call , I didn't find Morse easy at all ! Then they started issuing M0 calls to everyone. I know a lot of people didn't really like that, that when I started to lose interest and moved away from the hobby.

Last edited:
Foundation is only 10 watts, Intermediate is 50 watts, but who polices it??

My preference would be:

Novice - 70cms, 2m, 6m, 10m. Analogue only on 2m - 25 watts
Inter. - 23cms to. 17m, plus 80m DMR is OK - 50 watts

Last edited:
I've done my assessment on my station, it's more than compliant at full power 100W barefoot, even without line losses taken into account, at the worst all I would have to do is move my antenna to make it compliant, but fortunately I don't have to. :)

Back