Any baristas (coffee enthusiasts) among us? :-)

Nespresso was good, I found it hard to ensure I had the pods in the house. I also found it hard to find the taste that I liked. But no argument that they aren't convenient. I had it with Nespresso, I had it with Tassimo, I just hate the waste these machines leave behind. For me it was the main motivator to switch, throwing away so much rubbish, not just the pods, but also the packaging. It is just ridiculous, and I'm ashamed I've done that for years.

But definitely convenient, tasty and pretty fool proof.

Cheers! Agree with you on the waste but for me I don't have the space for anything larger so the fairly compact Nespresso machines seem a good fit for me.

I just hate the waste these machines leave behind. For me it was the main motivator to switch, throwing away so much rubbish, not just the pods, but also the packaging. It is just ridiculous, and I'm ashamed I've done that for years.

I was a bit bothered by this as well so looked at the Tassimo site to see what they had to say about it. A couple of clicks later and I discovered that they can be recycled and the local drop off point was on the way to a mate's house. When I took a bin bag full down, they told me that for every pod and wrapper, they got 2p for their charity and since it's the RNLI that makes it a worthwhile stop! The card packaging gets recycled with the rest of the household recycling.

I was a bit bothered by this as well so looked at the Tassimo site to see what they had to say about it. A couple of clicks later and I discovered that they can be recycled and the local drop off point was on the way to a mate's house. When I took a bin bag full down, they told me that for every pod and wrapper, they got 2p for their charity and since it's the RNLI that makes it a worthwhile stop! The card packaging gets recycled with the rest of the household recycling.
Good for you - I can't even take existing bags to a shop to for reuse, let along separate the pods, from the carton, from the airtight packaging, to then having to drive for miles out of my way to a recycling point. Interestingly none of the very few and miles away recycling points are actually registered with the charity commission ;)

So yes it it recyclable but it shouldn't have so much packaging in the first place in my opinion.

View attachment 91229

Nespresso pods can be dropped off at a Collect+ shop.
And, being made of aluminium they can be recycled into more pods, unlike plastic systems where the plastic gets down-cycled.

Still quite energy-intensive, but at least not wasteful of raw materials and less marine waste.

Well that is one tin of illy finished. Very enjoyable.

Also received my tasters from delonghi. Just having my first cup of eightpointnine creme de la creme. Wow that is really enjoyable. Very nice coffee.

I've turned my machine up a notch to four for heat. I prefer it like that.

And the milk frothing is getting better and better.

Last edited:
Just bought one of these, usualy arounf £150 on Amazon but camelcamelcamel price alert thismorning means I got one for £99.99.

Was hoping to pay £125-£130 so really please.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-E...00EZBTRDQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

90533310D5970FE07C3B4EA78FD3BF5C.jpg

Last edited:
So after having a couple of cheap espresso machines and a not very long lived DeLonghi burr grinder, Santa delivered a machine I simply could never justify, a Sage Barista Express (the Mrs clearly thinks I’m ok)

So far I’ve been enjoying a couple of Americanos a day, and all the family have had a Latte. The good news is, as it cost so much, and takes up so much bloody space, it’s getting more use than the previous machines.

Q1; Reading about the beans, I gather I’m supposed to be looking for something I can age accurately, and I’ve no idea how to do that, so far I’ve gone through a bag of Lavazza and a bag from Taylor’s of Harrogate. Now I’m trying some Aldi Colombian, but I’ve no idea how old any of them are.

Q2; other than YouTube, how do I learn how to heat my milk? I’ve done a couple of ‘ok’ flat whites, but I’m well aware I need to understand the texture of my milk, is it just a case of practice?

Anyone tried cold steeping coffee beans?

[Since we're reviving an old thread]

Yes. This is the way I've made coffee for most of the last year.

Ground coffee in a filter bottle, cold water, overnight in the fridge. In the morning heat in a pan or microwave.

Lovely smooth mellow coffee with much more depth of flavour than hot brew. Tried the same coffee both ways and IMO cold brew is much more pleasant. Even the nice stuff in the posh coffee shop down the beach tastes too acidic to me now.

When I heard about an Aeropress I thought "pah, no way I'll spend 600 quid or whatever on a coffee machine". Then I found out theses mythcial devices were 20 quid so I thought "no way that will be any good".

Then I tried one.

Not sure why I'd pay more than 20 quid for any coffee machine now :D

They are awesome. I’ve got a bean to cup DeLonghi coffee maker but I actually prefer the Aeropress

So after having a couple of cheap espresso machines and a not very long lived DeLonghi burr grinder, Santa delivered a machine I simply could never justify, a Sage Barista Express (the Mrs clearly thinks I’m ok)

So far I’ve been enjoying a couple of Americanos a day, and all the family have had a Latte. The good news is, as it cost so much, and takes up so much bloody space, it’s getting more use than the previous machines.

Q1; Reading about the beans, I gather I’m supposed to be looking for something I can age accurately, and I’ve no idea how to do that, so far I’ve gone through a bag of Lavazza and a bag from Taylor’s of Harrogate. Now I’m trying some Aldi Colombian, but I’ve no idea how old any of them are.

Q2; other than YouTube, how do I learn how to heat my milk? I’ve done a couple of ‘ok’ flat whites, but I’m well aware I need to understand the texture of my milk, is it just a case of practice?

It’s a good machine. I have had it since April this year.

All the beans you mention are fit for the bin only. (Will be very old by the time they hit the shelves) Try evolution coffee in Huddersfield (Bean Brothers) for freshly roasted coffee. Use it approx 10 days from roast date and use the bags quickly for max freshness and retention of oils.

YouTube and practice is fine for heating the milk. You’ll get the hang of it soon enough.

Last edited:

have a read of my post 272 on the previous page Phil... a way to practice and get the stretching and microfoaming right without wasting milk...

(it sounds wierd/slightly mad, but, it'll get you a good 90% of the way there if you've got a decent machine with a plain steam wand and not the silly plastic frothing attachments...)

Last edited:
have a read of my post 272 on the previous page Phil... a way to practice and get the stretching and microfoaming right without wasting milk...

(it sounds wierd/slightly mad, but, it'll get you a good 90% of the way there if you've got a decent machine with a plain steam wand and not the silly plastic frothing attachments...)
I read that last night, I’ll have a try. Thanks.

Also get a thermometer so you don’t oversteam the milk and get it too hot.....

Also get a thermometer so you don’t oversteam the milk and get it too hot.....
The fancy Sage milk jug has a built in temperature gauge (but there’s always been thermometers round here, I’m that kind of cook).

It’s a good machine. I have had it since April this year.

All the beans you mention are fit for the bin only. (Will be very old by the time they hit the shelves) Try evolution coffee in Huddersfield (Bean Brothers) for freshly roasted coffee. Use it approx 10 days from roast date and use the bags quickly for max freshness and retention of oils.

YouTube and practice is fine for heating the milk. You’ll get the hang of it soon enough.
Tried the Aldi beans today, they’re terrible, not quite gone in the bin, but I’ve ground them all to take to work for the French press.
The Mrs has brought home some Illy beans (our favourite coffee) and I’ve found a couple of local roasters (not cheap, that’ll be a treat)

Tried the Aldi beans today, they’re terrible, not quite gone in the bin, but I’ve ground them all to take to work for the French press.
The Mrs has brought home some Illy beans (our favourite coffee) and I’ve found a couple of local roasters (not cheap, that’ll be a treat)
I’ve had one for a year or so now, never really found any nice beans, if you achieve what I’ve failed to, give me a shout with what you got please (y)

To be honest most of the bulk roaster or supermarket beans are pretty rubbish. If you can find a small independent shop then that’s much better - failing that then online is a start. I currently use Exchange Coffee (shops in Skipton and Clitheroe as well as online) but also HR Higgins online in the past - seem to remember they did tester selection packs.
There are lots of other places - half the fun is finding them and trying the different coffees!!
There’s a huge variety so it’s difficult to recommend just one bean type - and tastes differ - but a good starter is something like Monsoon Malabar as well rounded but not too powerful, from Exchange I like the French Roast as it’s strong but not at all bitter. Experiment - it’s fun!!

I’ve had one for a year or so now, never really found any nice beans, if you achieve what I’ve failed to, give me a shout with what you got please (y)
Try Columbian Suaz from Rave coffee, can be bought online.

For a double shot
Grind Amount 3 o’clock
Grind size 6-8

Whilst the ‘dead centre’ of the pressure gauge may seem ideal, I always find 12 o’clock a much better balance, at least for my taste.

Last edited:
I bought a Saeco 'Super Automatica' machine 23 years ago. I've used it every day, and it's still going strong. Push the button for a freshly made cup, time after time.
Maintenance is easy. It's never needed a de-calc, as I always filter the water. Grinder, pump and everything still all working without fail. It looks a bit tired because of its age, but it still delivers a tasty cup. I'm scared to get a newer model, because they might not be as well made.

I'm not a coffee nerd. I just like the taste. Especially the Italian brands. And won't spoil it with milk. Only drink coffee with milk if the coffee is crap. IMG_20190103_092228.jpeg

Last edited:
A mate of mine buys fresh beans and roasts them himself using a modified popcorn popper. Smells amazing when he's doing it!

I'm scared to get a newer model, because they might not be as well made.

you're right to be scared. Saeco bought Gaggia in 1999 and were in turn bought by Philips in 2009. First thing Phillips did was ruin the Gaggia Classic by swapping the brass boiler for stainless steel, altering the pressure relief system so it can't be "backflushed" to clean the head properly, and (worst of all IMO) put a time-out on the power system, so you can't leave the machine in standby and let the boiler and head come to a stable heat condition. Basically, the second hand Classics are WAY better than the new ones (and you CAN still get all the parts to rebuild 'em) - but, frankly, if you were buying a stand alone machine then forget the new Gaggia Classic and go for a Rancilio Silvia (and maybe an aftermarket PID kit)

I'm pretty sure I've read that similar downgrading and penny pinching in the design has gone on with the Saeco line :(

I use a plain old cafetiere, I've never really noticed much difference between decent coffee from that and coffee from one of the high end machines, not once creamed up.

I use a plain old cafetiere, I've never really noticed much difference between decent coffee from that and coffee from one of the high end machines, not once creamed up.
I don't think you can make an espresso in a cafetiere.

And if you put milk in it, then that will cover up a lot of the taste.

Also my fully automatic machine requires little effort and time before, and after making a cup.

I don't think you can make an espresso in a cafetiere.

And if you put milk in it, then that will cover up a lot of the taste.

Also my fully automatic machine requires little effort and time before, and after making a cup.

I use fresh cream, but not in the cafetiere, I spoon it in over black coffee. I know there's a lot more you can do with the machines, but since I just prefer my coffee this way it's cheap and cheerful :)

This probably makes me some sort of heretic. For years we've used a Cuisineart bean to jug machine which has been ok if there are a several people that want coffee, and if nobody wants an espresso (or something based on espresso). So we just got a Krups CitiZ Nespresso machine. Still working out which pods to use with what, but have found some we both like including Decaf options.

This probably makes me some sort of heretic. For years we've used a Cuisineart bean to jug machine which has been ok if there are a several people that want coffee, and if nobody wants an espresso (or something based on espresso). So we just got a Krups CitiZ Nespresso machine. Still working out which pods to use with what, but have found some we both like including Decaf options.
Yes coffee from beans means getting the right beans and a machine that does everything right. Whereas instant coffee or those Nespresso instant pods can have a pre mix of a specific flavour in the pod, so it tastes as designed every time.

Last edited:
Yes coffee from beans means getting the right beans and a machine that does everything right. Whereas instant coffee or those Nespresso instant pods can have a pre mix of a specific flavour in the pod, so it tastes as designed every time.
A really good mate in Australia has a professional coffee machine in his kitchen that cost him a considerable number of Aussie dollars. Select your beans, how fine to grind them, how much to grind, amount of water, how hot, how much pressure etc. etc.. After learning how get it all working, it does make great coffee and it pleases him no end.

Me, I can't be arsed with all that. I just want something that makes decent coffee that I like. If it does that every time, I'm good with that. The smartphone camera of coffee machines.. ;)

Yes. Nestle being the Google.
I prefer to avoid big business control in both cases.
There are alternative suppliers of pods now for Nespresso machines, including some 'fair trade' options. We've used Taylor's of Harrogate for beans before. Not tried their pods yet, but probably will give them a try if they are aluminium and therefore recyclable, and make good coffee of course.

I've seen third party reusable pods for some brands of machine; select your own grounds and 'roll your own'.

I've seen third party reusable pods for some brands of machine; select your own grounds and 'roll your own'.
Thanks, that would be interesting once we've established a decent baseline. Would also need to know the options for roll-yer-own Decaf for the Mrs. Still working our way through the 20+ different standard pods at the moment.

My wife just bought her retirement present, i'm a tea drinker, but she seems thrilled to bits with it.
She has messed about with all sorts over the years, but always wanted a good machine and grinder.
IMG_0923 1.jpg

Last edited:
Niiiiice!

My wife just bought her retirement present, i'm a tea drinker, but she seems thrilled to bits with it.
That's the spirit Rich, set her up with a little part time job, with her own coffee shop :D

Back