Any Cyclists - Tech question ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have replaced my rear freewheel / cassette on my bike (worn out) and my front crank (also worn) and I am thinking maybe I should also change my front front bottom bracket while the crank is off.

My dilemma is the front bottom bracket 'seems' fine - no noises or grating and grinding nothing - it seems in good condition and I think it was replaced in 2014 and it has been replaced a couple of times by me but using the same crank so should I just leave alone and put new crank on or should I replace while the crank is off to save problems later ??

The one time I needed to replace a bottom bracket it had done something like 40k miles.

I'd leave it if there are no obvious signs of wear.

you dont have to replace the bb, what style bb is it? if it sounds and feels okay then id leave it.

i take it you're doing the chain with the new cassette and crank?

Its the sealed cassette type bottom bracket and yes I am replacing the chain. I am sure it feels OK but I will double check

The one time I needed to replace a bottom bracket it had done something like 40k miles.

I'd leave it if there are no obvious signs of wear.

Thanks for the advice :)

If it's the good old thread type (which it sounds like it is) rather than the new-fangled but pretty shoddy press-fit ones then I would leave it, they're basically bomb proof.

i recently removed mine cleaned and repacked it with lithium grease on my giant after 10 years.

15 quid for a new one as per your link i would fit a new one while you are down ther,

Fit a new one, gives you a good chance to clean out the BB shell, gravity ensures all the crud collects in there with nowhere to go.
(drilled a small hole in a steel frame I owned to let the water out)

i recently removed mine cleaned and repacked it with lithium grease on my giant after 10 years.

10 Years :jawdrop: that's impressive - what make is that ? Shimano ?

15 quid for a new one as per your link i would fit a new one while you are down ther,

Yeah that is what I was thinking - its not much money for some peace of mind for years ahead

Fit a new one, gives you a good chance to clean out the BB shell, gravity ensures all the crud collects in there with nowhere to go.
(drilled a small hole in a steel frame I owned to let the water out)

Yes very true - looks like its a new one then

Thanks all for the feedback :banana:

Back