Any hedgehog experts?

Cockney

I asked Admin for a user title
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
We have a hedgehog that feeds in our garden, we've had one for many years.
I recently put up a new security light, with sensor, which stays on for 10 mins. It illuminates a fair bit of the garden. I noticed the hedgehog triggered it last night.
Is there any danger of it scaring the hedgehog off or using our garden to feed.
If so the light will be put on a timer.

@Tringa has hedgehog experience ... personally I doubt it will have a negative effect but that's an uninformed answer. :)

We have a hedgehog that feeds in our garden, we've had one for many years.
I recently put up a new security light, with sensor, which stays on for 10 mins. It illuminates a fair bit of the garden. I noticed the hedgehog triggered it last night.
Is there any danger of it scaring the hedgehog off or using our garden to feed.
If so the light will be put on a timer.

Although the hedgehog(s) in our garden usually appear well after dark and we don't have a security light, in my limited experience, I don't think it will have much of an effect.
Sometimes at night the light in our conservatory is turned on, which illuminates part of the back garden, and now and again we have seen the hedgehog going about its business.

A security light will be much brighter than an internal light but I think the hedgehog will get used to it.

What did the hedgehog do when it triggered it last night?

However, as I said, this is based on limited experience.

Can I recommend getting a trail camera then you can see what happens, and also spend lots of time seeing what goes on in the garden at night?

Dave

Although the hedgehog(s) in our garden usually appear well after dark and we don't have a security light, in my limited experience, I don't think it will have much of an effect.
Sometimes at night the light in our conservatory is turned on, which illuminates part of the back garden, and now and again we have seen the hedgehog going about its business.

A security light will be much brighter than an internal light but I think the hedgehog will get used to it.

What did the hedgehog do when it triggered it last night?

However, as I said, this is based on limited experience.

Can I recommend getting a trail camera then you can see what happens, and also spend lots of time seeing what goes on in the garden at night?

Dave

Cheers Dave. It seemed pretty unfazed when it was in the "spotlight"last night.
I have another i/p security camera I need to get around to fitting at the back. That has night vision. :)(y)

In my experience, any wildlife will build confidence on their surroundings over time. Typically they will avoid the light initially until they feel safe from predators. Once that safety is established then they should be ok. I'm not a hedgehog expert but have seen everything from rats to rabbits to foxes all become accustomed to light from floodlights/security lights after a week or two.

We have a hedgehog in garden and it trips security light most nights, has been here for a couple of months so assume its not bothered.

edit- been thinking of getting a trail camera, any recommendations?

Last edited:
I have a security camera that I use exclusively for hedgehog watching. And a dedicated LED light that I have mounted to shine in the hedgehog area, so I can record/watch in colour. And none of them seem bothered/disturbed by the light. We have upto 6 visitors in our garden, with two houses occupied most nights.

Back