Any IT consultants on here?

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Having been at home for a few weeks now following my redundancy I am getting really cheesed off with recruitment consultants and the whole job hunting thing. :bang: I've had a few agencies ask if I wanted to do consultancy work and I need to know the real life ins and outs, pitfalls etc.

I didn't really want to go down that route as in three/six/nine months you are looking for more work and it is a right royal pain the arse this time round. I'm also aware of IR35 and wanted to know if anyone had used an umbrella company as approved by the taxman.

Any comments appreciated!

I have been a 'consultant' (not IT though !) since my 'dundancy Colin ... :D

Not over-complicated and Ian is right regarding IR 35 ... just need to sort your own NI payments, find a decent accountant ... there are one or two around ... ;) ... and stay under the VAT threshold with your income and then you don't even need to bother sorting a limited company out either ... :D

HTH ... but you can call me if you want a chat about my long term (?) experience at anytime ... or if you are needing a chat or moral support I'm happy to meet up for a coffee and a chat in the week ... :shrug:

:p

I am an IT consultant since returning to work after taking voluntary redundancy.

I am using ParasolIT as my umbrella company and can recommend them as they take all the hassle away and also have a fully approved expenses and pension scheme to minimise the tax exposure.

See also ir35calc

PM me if you want to discuss further.

I used to use Prosperity4 before going permie.

Has IR35 actually gone as far as the inland rev are concerned its still around ?

Hacker

What job are you looking for? experienced in? I may be able to help

Thanks for the offer old_man, I work in information security mainly around risk, compliance, ISO and governance, I'm not a techie but obviously have a broad understanding.

Got three interviews this week for permie roles but it doesn't hurt to have ones finger in another pie. :D

My son is using an umbrella company and has been doing so for some time now. It's good to find a decent one - and best to avoid the worse.

He was very unfortunate with his first choice of umbrella company and since extracting himself from them he's now seen how decent companys operate. He's also been with agencies who have told him they are happy to deal with any umbrella except... the one he started with.

Avoid P4 like the plague.

Avoid P4 like the plague.

I never had an issue with them to be honest, but it was a few years ago. :D

Anyway all umbrella companys days could be numbered as the Inland Rev are looking to tackle the Managed service company "problem" in April 2007. linky

Back