Any metal detecor enthusiasts on here ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I used to use a metal detector years back when I was a teenager and loved it. Saw one for sale in Maplin (500 standard) reduced from £100 down to £40 and thought I might have a go again

Anyone know anything about the Maplin Standard 500 - is it any good THIS ONE

There was a thread on this before Christmas. Some useful info in that one.

Thank you for that link

Crikey things are more complicated with metal detecting then when I was a kid. Some on that thread saying you need to spend at least £500 on one I had a really cheap machine and found loads of stuff. Coins, pen knives etc... Great fun !!

Maybe different now :confused:

Do you have land available with permission ?

Nope it won’t ,very few councils allow it . I was into it very deeply for around 40 years and as you have been advised you really need to spend in excess of £500 to get good results ,yes you will find items with the cheaper machines but soon get frustrated by the lack of decent finds . These days as well there are different frequency for various types of finds low frequency for large deep finds, mid range for general finds ,and high frequency for thin silver and gold .and as Allan says land to search is the hardest thing to find

I used to use a metal detector years back when I was a teenager and loved it. Saw one for sale in Maplin (500 standard) reduced from £100 down to £40 and thought I might have a go again

Anyone know anything about the Maplin Standard 500 - is it any good THIS ONE

I trust you've seen the BBC's excellent 'The Detectorists'?

Nope it won’t ,very few councils allow it . I was into it very deeply for around 40 years and as you have been advised you really need to spend in excess of £500 to get good results ,yes you will find items with the cheaper machines but soon get frustrated by the lack of decent finds . These days as well there are different frequency for various types of finds low frequency for large deep finds, mid range for general finds ,and high frequency for thin silver and gold .and as Allan says land to search is the hardest thing to find

Yeah it seems hard work to find the place to do it -,so is the beach allowed ?

I trust you've seen the BBC's excellent 'The Detectorists'?

No I haven't was it good ?

Yeah it seems hard work to find the place to do it -,so is the beach allowed ?

No I haven't was it good ?
only on some a lot of them now need a permit ,AND you need a pulse machine if you intend to go onto tidal sand as the mineralisation will play havoc with a land machine ,like wise a pulse machine is no good on land .best bet is to pop into w.h.smiths and pick up a copy of metal detecting mag or the searcher both will have current machines ,costs and where to buy from . maplins machines b.t.w are basically a no no .the only two places I would buy from are regton in Birmingham or Graeme rushton at unearthed in cumbria.
the best analogy I can suggest is would you prefer to do wildlife photography with a 1dx and 500f4 or a point and shoot ,both will take photos and you might get lucky with the latter ,but I know what I would use

Last edited:
then again sometimes you get lucky this is just one of my finds from over the years and your looking at around a grand for that one coin .I detected daily for about 25 years.another gold coin I found was used by whites metal detectors in there advertising and earned me £400 in in fees never mind the coin value . i.but take into account that detectors have been around for 50 years now and finds do not get replaced .
gold angel henry viii by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you - I will hold off with the Maplin then. I was only tempted as it was closing down price (£100 > £40) so thought I would Re-kindle old hobbies

I will look into it proper (y)

Last edited:
Join a local club and talk to the members re machines

I was big into detection years ago , Did time as Chairman of the Essex Detector Society , Also started my own club years ago , " Essex Pastfinders " the club is still running , Yes good time all legal ,with club land to detect on

Re beach detecting a permit may be needed see the link

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-and-coastal/coastal/metal-detecting/

Join a local club and talk to the members re machines

I was big into detection years ago , Did time as Chairman of the Essex Detector Society , Also started my own club years ago , " Essex Pastfinders " the club is still running , Yes good time all legal ,with club land to detect on

Re beach detecting a permit may be needed see the link

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-and-coastal/coastal/metal-detecting/
Went on a few digs down that way with the ncmd a long time ago .i was also very active on line to ,there used to be a bloke around Colchester that was seeding fields with gold coins and charging yanks 2 or 3 grand a week to go on the fields of gold .total fraud some of the finds were fresh out of the tumbler LOL

Went on a few digs down that way with the ncmd a long time ago .i was also very active on line to ,there used to be a bloke around Colchester that was seeding fields with gold coins and charging yanks 2 or 3 grand a week to go on the fields of gold .total fraud some of the finds were fresh out of the tumbler LOL

:jawdrop:

Back