anyone effected by the snow?

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a nice slack day today, and yesterday, lol, due to the snow and terrible roads, anyone else have that joy?

Nope

We've not had any serious snow her for donkeys years, it must be the tropical weather we get here in the NW of England. :D

was rubbish here for 3 days, now raining, lol

Snow? Here in the Pennines? :shock: Well, er, actually, no. None at all. :LOL: We exported it all to Kent. 8)

silkstone said:
Snow? Here in the Pennines? :shock: Well, er, actually, no. None at all. :LOL: We exported it all to Kent. 8)

You will be pleased to know it all arrived safely!
snowman snowball

Well, since I am from Buffalo (the self-proclaimed "Snow Capital of the World", since the blizzard of '77) I'd like to know how much snow you guys consider serious? A few days ago we got 15 inches and it was nothing. And so far this season we are up to 85 or 90 inches total (and was warm until January).

Also, let me know if you would like a little more snow. I think we can spare some too and suppliment Silky's snow. [smilie=l:

When I was a kid, we'd regularly get 18" of snow every winter and it would be no big deal.
Now for some reason we get 1/4" and the country comes to a standstill, schools close, trains don't run, traffic comes to a grinding halt everywhere.

I did a tour of Bosnia in 2000 and on December 18th we had 2 metres of snow overnight! (that's why I remember the date!!) We all had to dig ourselves out of the Corrimecs. The locals were driving around as normal as if it were nothing (though a few did end up in the river Vrbas - only to be found after the thaw!).

We seem to have lost the ability to cope with mild inclemency. With cars being relied on for practically everything these days, if we can't drive, we cease to function.
Kent gets the worst of the snow in the south, but how many households in Kent have snow chains in the garage, or even know how to put a set on?

to be fair, we are rubbish at snow in this country, 4" here it caused chaos!

Arkady you're right. However, when you mentioned our nations reliance on cars, you missed out the fact that, although we as a nation rely heavily on our cars, no one has the ability to drive them anymore.
A mere bit of water and it causes people to crash, because they have no real driving skills. They can move a vehicle yes, but no one can drive anymore. Thats why it comes to a standstill nowadays.

It does tickle me that this country can't deal with a dark cloud let alone a dusting of snow.
In other countries (canada for instance), an extra foot of snow, means an extra 5 minutes on your journey. Here it would mean empty shelves at Asda, and a broadcast by Tony Blair urging the people not to panic.

I was watching the news earlier in the week, and there was actually on screen the word WEATHER WARNING in big red letters, and the presenter said (I kid you not), It is expected there could be up to TWO INCHES of snow!! (It was exclaimed like it was a serious problem), I expected a punchline or a giggle, but nothing. Deadly serious.

It's almost laughable really how no one can cope with a bit of snow. When I were a lad (eeeee), everyone used to just get on with it. We had a rare day off school due to frozen weather. Not because of the trouble the teachers had getting in, but because of the old boiler system breaking down and the school being frozen. Sometimes we even had to go in through that. I remember lessons sat in my coat and gloves.
Everyone just got on with it. A bit of cold ne'er did us any harm :D

And no, I'm not 50+ I'm 28! :D

your right bod, the driving was an issue around here, though as Fungus will tell you the A20 at Lenham gets a couple of foot of snow drifting over it every time it snows hard!

Hey all, someone from Toronto, Canada here,lol. Alot of people still panic over snow here too! You would think it would be no big deal, but last year I remember them calling the army in to clear the snow and that was a huge joke. I lived in Barrie at the time which is about an hour north of the city. Meaning we got alot of more snow than torontonians and it was a huge joke. It's just snow. Deal with it, or move! Why whine about it right? I skated my kids to school today,lol. Yesterday all the snow was melting due to temperatures above seasonal values, and today it's -25 with the windchill factor. So with a "flash" freeze as they call it, we skated, well the kids had a blast, I on the other hand tried my damndest not to fall on my ass and break a hip. It was quite comical. Anything can be fun if you just take the time to enjoy it. Anyway have a great day all.
Regards, jewel.

Back