Anyone else woken up by the lightning storm last night??

Certainly was woken last night, it even took the power out for half an hour.
Didn't get the camera out. Perhaps I should have...

It was so hot that I didn't get to sleep before the thunderstorm rumbled through at around 2am this morning in South Cheshire. It seemed to be a pretty big storm, with lots of frequent sheet lightning and some occasional forked lightning strikes too, many of which lit up the whole area like a giant flashgun. Thunder was loud and long at times too. I decided not to try to photograph it as I didn't have a clue what exposure settings to use... and it was too hot for me to want to faff about with kit at that time in the morning.

Woke me. (Sheffield). Last thing on my mind was "get camera". Good shot though.

Very nice shot, I’d be quite happy to have taken this one.

George.

Came past here at around 22:30 but was above the clouds. Fairly continuous son et lumiere show for 45 minutes or so but no visible forks for us.

TBH, I reckon the light pollution helps make the shot, throwing the trees into a sharper silhouette than they would have been just lit by the lightning.

Came past here at around 22:30 but was above the clouds. Fairly continuous son et lumiere show for 45 minutes or so but no visible forks for us.

Similar to here but I'm just a bit further north so about 2315 and never got to sleep. Storm cells to the left of me, storm cells to the right, stuck in the middle with...........continuous lightning above cloud in all directions except overhead for over two hours (sorry, couldn't resist it, and probably showing my age). I did think obout getting a camera but wouldn't have got anything worthwhile.

I was woken about 02:30 by a loud bang, looked out the window, everything was in place, I guessed Trump hadn't launched,
so went back to bed. No idea what happened after that though.

Yes around 2:30 in Lincolnshire. Lots of sheet lightning and a few cracking forks to be seen. Didn't take any pictures but did enjoy the show

Great image!
I was told it was pretty spectacular and loud here too in Norfolk....didn't hear/see a thing though!
I had to sleep with ear plugs in due to the fan being on full blast all night....wow it was hot!!!
Hit 36°C in Norwich today!!

Low clouds meant there were just flashes across the sky. I did get the camera out, but photos of lit up clouds don't do any thing for me!!

Back