Anyone going "abroad" on a birding holiday this or next year

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at a few place to go as S Africa is probably a miss in early 2018, (bloody house has burnt down) ..........

these people look good, prices reasonable and good reviews ... Central/South America would be interesting ....... and my wife always likes to "get rid" of me for a week or two

http://www.naturetrek.co.uk

Hi Bill,
Sorry to hear your house burnt down, hopefully insured.
Is there anything that you especially want to see?
! can recommend:
Trinidad - Asa Wright. Fantastic birds but service 'relaxed' (a few years ago)
Belize - Chan Chich was good with hotel guides very good
Tobago - Bird guide Newton George
We did a week around Quito staying at various lodges - excellent birds (san Jorge Birding trail)
Glenn Bartley trips also appeal to me, I like his style.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results

What about a meet up with @Pitter ? I'd love to be able to see some of the wonderful species he has out there.

(the birds don't seem too shabby either :D )

Last edited:
What about a meet up with @Pitter ? I'd love to be able to see some of the wonderful species he has out there.

(the birds don't seem too shabby either :D )

Haha I was thinking the same with @Pitter (about the amount of lovely feathered varieties he has) :)

Sorry to hear about the house Bill :(

Colombia would be good. I've heard Costa Rica is really good for birds too?

Thanks Guys

House - we have an eighth share, giving us 6 or 7 weeks a year which we can push to 8 .......... it also gives us part ownership of the Nature Reserve ...... 28 of the 34 Houses were completely destroyed as was the Nature Reserve ....... in the area 600 houses were destroyed..... google Knysna fires.

Fire was 7th June and rebuilding has yet to start ... but demand for builders in the area is causing problems plus so many insurance claims ........ the costs of rebuilding look to be covered as are the interior fittings, but not any stuff that the co-owners, (as they are called in S Africa), have left there.

It's a beautiful spot and I am sure numerous small mammals and similar have been killed

BEFORE

House_10a.jpg

House_5a.jpg

House_6a.jpg

AFTER

House_1.jpg

House_4a.jpg

Birding holiday - would go on a small group organised tour - not too strenuous or basic - Columbia, Equator or even Brazil look good, but I may just opt for Botswana or even The Kruger ........ would like to go with a group of "similar" people!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
Sorry to hear your house burnt down, hopefully insured.
Is there anything that you especially want to see?
! can recommend:
Trinidad - Asa Wright. Fantastic birds but service 'relaxed' (a few years ago)
Belize - Chan Chich was good with hotel guides very good
Tobago - Bird guide Newton George
We did a week around Quito staying at various lodges - excellent birds (san Jorge Birding trail)
Glenn Bartley trips also appeal to me, I like his style.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results

Thanks John

at my "age" there has to be a certain degree of comfort and security ..... that's why I worry about S Africa ....... and tend towards Southern Africa .......... I think that I need an organised tour with well established hides etc., as all I would really want to do would be to take images of birds and eat and sleep well.

Naturtrek ...... their office are near where we live in the UK seem ideal ....... I'm going to "check them out" the next time we are in Winchester

Real shame about the house hope it gets rebuilt as soon as possible
We have traveled with naturetrek three times to India Zambia and Botswana
they are excellent tours well organised and always seem to have nice people in our group
We are more into big cats than birds but they do lots of birding tours it's worth phoning them and asking for a brochure

Last edited:
Actually for those interested there are half a dozen or more birding tours in Colombia. Easy to find on Google. Now that the country has established peace with the FARC guerrilla many areas that were formerly no-go have opened for safe birding. The government in fact has programs to encourage improved infrastructure for birding tourism.

Back