anyone got a PPI refund?

Name
Edit My Images
No
I thought i would give it a go so am filling the form in. The section where it asks you to justify your complaint im a bit stuck with. I took out a credit card 18 years ago and PPI came with it, im pretty sure all i filled in was a form in the branch and handed that in. No one was giving advice on anything. Since it was never "sold" to me as such, im just wondering the best way of wording things. If anyone has successfully got anything back how did you word it?

I've just done it by calling my bank (natwest) and went through the process on the phone - took about 20 minutes. I don't recall ever being sold any, so said just that. I don't recall being sold any. Seems I was, and that I may be eligible for a refund...

I took out a credit card 18 years ago and PPI came with it

at no extra charge? did you know it came with it at the time? did it cost you anything extra? was it a benefit included in a bundle of a paid for current account like Natwest Gold account or similar?

Well it's a percentage of what you owe each month. In principle a good idea but in practice never been used. I'm just wondering if the fact I ticked the box on the form with no advice would make me eligible or not. Worth the price of a stamp to find out I guess, 18 years worth is a new lens or two :D

Isn't the point that ppi was mis sold (i.e. Self employed aren't eligible) or forced on people.. For example I had a loan where they would only approve the request if I took ppi.

Also if it's an active account you claim on and are successful don't be surprised if they ask for any outstanding balances to be cleared and account is closed.

Yeah well that's fine, they lose twice though so it's up to them

Same as you, I took a couple of loans 20 years ago that had PPI. I have the forms from my bank yet to fill in, just haven't got round to it.

I did a reclaim a couple of years ago for my Dad, he had been self employed his entire working life and as such PPI would have been no use to him but he had it on one credit card, that was with CitiBank I wrote a letter too them short and sweet outlining why it was mis sold and with my dads full name, DOB and address and requested they investigate any and all accounts for him with them...they wrote back about a week later to say that they had locatated two accounts and that they were investigating them for any refund due, and also giving the actual details to those accounts...

About two weeks after that they made an offer of a little over £13,500 to cover the PPI, Charges and interest on the charge total at 8% for about 15 years and asking how he would like to be paid

I made a claim based on the recollection that I wasn't given the option, and had I been I would have declined based on the fact that I was in (Relatively) secure employment and that sick pay, or in the worst case,redundancy would have easily paid of the debt.
This was backed up by the demonstrable fact that any subsequent dealings where insurance was offered it was declined. They paid up without any further comment.
I don't believe that, at the time, it was a case of hard sell on the insurance front so much as ticking the boxes on your behalf.

A couple of years ago I made a claim. It took a year to sort out and a lot of persistence, letters etc but I got £12000.

i went through Gladstone Brooks for my PPI claim. Best phonecall i made in a long time.
you basically fill all the forms out over the phone & they send them to you for you to sign.
couple of months later you get some nice cheques in the post. i got about 18g from Barclaycard & 6g from Natwest.
had to pay gladsone brooks their comission but i still came out around 17-18 grand better off.
my Billinghams would be a lot lighter if i hadn't done it lol

Unfortunately I never had any. At the the 8% interest it would have been a nice earner. I think someone tried to say I had to have PPI and I told them they were lying as it was on moneysaving expert that it was misselling. Might have been comet for an interest free thing for a washing machine. Long since shredded the paperwork.

Never had it and I was hot on DDs so anyone that took it would have had to pay it back immediately.

Thats the thing, who keeps paperwork from decades ago and how could you remember if you were told to tick the ppi box or not. The people working in the bank at the time are long gone no doubt so how do they determine one way or the other if it was fairly sold or not. Ah well, I stuffed the forms in the post this morning and will see what happens. They were pretty easy to fill in so I don't see the point in using a third party to do it. Their cut makes letting agency renewal fees sound fair.

Last edited:
So what is the cut off term 15 years, 20 years or no time limit?

None. You just need proof you had it. But there will be a cut off imposed in the next year or two for all claims.

I did it when it all first kicked off. Got about 2k back. And yesterday got a letter from the PPI company saying they maybe able to get more. Through that in the bin though.
The PPI company I used charged 34%. It's worth doing, you can do it yourself, lots of letter templates you can use.

You've just inspired me to raise a query re my graduate loan. I've no idea if I was sold PPI with it... but worth checking.

I thought i would give it a go so am filling the form in. The section where it asks you to justify your complaint im a bit stuck with. I took out a credit card 18 years ago and PPI came with it, im pretty sure all i filled in was a form in the branch and handed that in. No one was giving advice on anything. Since it was never "sold" to me as such, im just wondering the best way of wording things. If anyone has successfully got anything back how did you word it?

Pretty simples: "I am unsure if I ever paid for PPI that I was unaware of". Easy enough as there have been many instances of banks lumping it on without saying a thing.

TBH though, I suspect for most people it might read "I was too stupid to realise I was being ripped off".

To be fair I think it's a good idea on loans. If you lose your job they still want the monthly payments made after all.

Maybe, in some circumstances, in which case it would be morally dubious to claim it back.

I must admit that when I applied for my current mortgage 22 year ago (just 3 years left to go, c'mon! c'mon), I did claim on the PPI twice when I was out of employment so it had served its purpose, but I've recently voluntarily stopped paying into it as I'm a home carer but could still manage to maintain the payment on what is a small mortgage on my own anyway.

However, what I am a bit annoyed is that I also "had" to take on a separate life insurance policy that came with the mortgage and it's only a couple of years ago that I also cancelled that. It just felt like I have no need for it as I come close to the end of my mortgage as part of streamlining my outgoings what with me being single with no children (much the same when I took the policy on 22 years ago). Could I claim on that, then?

Last edited:
I must admit that when I applied for my current mortgage 22 year ago (just 3 years left to go, c'mon! c'mon), I did claim on the PPI twice when I was out of employment so it had served its purpose, but I've recently voluntarily stopped paying into it as I'm a home carer but could still manage to maintain the payment on what is a small mortgage on my own anyway.

However, what I am a bit annoyed is that I also "had" to take on a separate life insurance policy that came with the mortgage and it's only a couple of years ago that I also cancelled that. It just felt like I have no need for it as I come close to the end of my mortgage as part of streamlining my outgoings what with me being single with no children (much the same when I took the policy on 22 years ago). Could I claim on that, then?

I don't think so.
As far as I'm aware, a mortgage company will insist that a life insurance is in place before agreeing to loan.
They cannot, however, insist that the insurance is one of their products. The lendee can purchase insurance from any appropriate company.

If they DID insist you took out their insurance, then they have breached regulations. (As they stand now....I didn't have a mortgage 22 years ago :) )

Back