Anyone had a vaccine Jab?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Not really sure I could avoid a meteor if it came down, they go pretty fast!
You haven't watched enough Apocalyptic movies! They hang in the air for an age while people scramble to leave the city and if you're the 'good guy' most of them will miss you anyway

Edit My Images
Yes
You haven't watched enough Apocalyptic movies! They hang in the air for an age while people scramble to leave the city and if you're the 'good guy' most of them will miss you anyway
That's why I wouldn't be that bothered or change my driving style, I'd just double check my dashcam was working so I could sell the video, first to the news channels, then to Disney!

Last edited:
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Any of you that just had the jab in the last few days suffering? Curious, as a few have said that they just had it and no ill effect, but they might have been premature - I know I was after mine! Boss phoned me to see how I'd got on, as some of the other staff were feeling ill that evening. I was all "Grand! nayr a bother" but had to text them next day to say I felt like someone had dragged me through a thorn bush, backwards!

nilagin

Daniel-san
Suspended / Banned
Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Any of you that just had the jab in the last few days suffering? Curious, as a few have said that they just had it and no ill effect, but they might have been premature - I know I was after mine! Boss phoned me to see how I'd got on, as some of the other staff were feeling ill that evening. I was all "Grand! nayr a bother" but had to text them next day to say I felt like someone had dragged me through a thorn bush, backwards!
I had mine on Thursday, feel great, not even a sore arm.

Edit My Images
No
Had mine Wednesday, sore arm for 2 days and a slight headache the same evening, Thursday i felt fine.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Had mine on Monday, wrote off Tuesday as I felt dreadful (and strange feelings of dread too), arm felt like it had a red-hot needle in it on Tues, Weds it felt like it had had a red-hot needle in it. That has gradually improved and today I can raise my arm above my head without any pain but still a bit of mild discomfort at the injection site. From a mood/condition perspective, just Tuesday, was otherwise right-as-rain on Weds (arm nothwithstanding).

Edit My Images
Yes
Pal had his [ Oxford one ] on Monday - slept badly - chills all night.
Tuesday much better , but arm a bit sore. Slept 11 hours that night.

Now other than arm still a bit sore back to normal

Nod

As good as a wink to a blind horse
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wondering if my mystery fever last weekend may have been a delayed reaction to the jab. Had a covid test (negative) just in case (very well organised, if a bit overstaffed) and the fever only lasted a few days. Would still have the second jab, even if I knew that there would be a similar reaction.

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
2 weeks after jab. Been very tired for a few days, chills and feeling rough yesterday.

Can't be sure they're connected though.

Edit My Images
No
I had a bad headache kick in about 5 hours after the jab. About 8 hours after the jab I had the chills. I went to bed early with hot blanket on and took paracetamol.

The headache lasted into the next day but the chills went after a couple of hours. Arm a bit sore a day or two later. My OH had a worse sore arm but nothing else.

I’ll take the second jab [emoji4]

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Had the first one going for the second next friday.
No effects from the first so hopefully the next will be the same

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my AZ jab earlier at 2pm, I’m starting to feel really fatigued like you do when you’re unwell, but no other symptoms. I’ll just turn in early tonight and see how I am tomorrow.

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
If needed do you think they will stop the first jab until after they have completed the second jabs.

Sky

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
If needed do you think they will stop the first jab until after they have completed the second jabs.
If they don't keep enough back to give people their second jabs within the twelve weeks, they may have to give a third one, so I would imagine so.

Nod

As good as a wink to a blind horse
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
I reckon the annual covid jab will be the norm, just like the flu jab is for many of us already.

Sky

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I think you're right Nod. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case as they will have to keep up with all the new variants as they spring up.

Name
A
Edit My Images
No
I had mine a couple of weeks ago (Pfizer) and, other that a very slightly sore arm for a couple of days, I did not have any side effects.

I have heard that you are more likely to have side effects from the second dose than from the first but who knows...

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Was ok overnight, a little stiff this morning and quite achey this afternoon after a 9K walk. Wife has slightly iffy tum but otherwise ok at the 23 hour stage.

*edit* now 24 hours after innoculation I have a temperature & shivers. :rolleyes:

:angelic:

Last edited:
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No

"Your second dose will be innocuous, the second dose is very mild in comparison to the first," said Prof Pollard, who ran the Oxford vaccines trials.
However, he did warn that some data suggested the second Pfizer dose might lead to slightly more side effects than the first.

That's comforting at least , at least for those of us who suffered after first round of AZ

It suggests in that article that side effects may be age related too, the older you are the less likely you are to experience them. I experienced similar to the author minus the vomitting, thankfully,

Last edited:
Name
Heather
Edit My Images
Yes
I think they are not booking any first vaccines in April to take the (possible) shortages into account so that they can do the due second ones within the twelve weeks.

Edit My Images
Yes
My mother had a phone call today from the medical centre to book her in for her second jab this coming Friday. She was one of the first wave to get vaccinated (same day as the Queen apparently!), so it seems they've taken the second dose into account and are progressing as planned with it.

Had my first vaccination last Saturday (AZ) and I've not noticed any obvious side effects other than a tiny red pimple at the site of the injection. Having said that, I'm taking Ibuprofen at the moment due to having a trapped nerve, so that might have masked slight aches or stopped fever or chills. There's no signs of any bruising at the injection site either, I put this down to totally relaxing my arm before the injection and looking away - the looking away isn't because I'm squeamish, it's to stop any involuntary tensing of the muscle when the needle goes in. I find this minimises the risk of the muscle being bruised.

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
My second jab was booked at the same time as the first

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
My mother had a phone call today from the medical centre to book her in for her second jab this coming Friday. She was one of the first wave to get vaccinated (same day as the Queen apparently!), so it seems they've taken the second dose into account and are progressing as planned with it.

Had my first vaccination last Saturday (AZ) and I've not noticed any obvious side effects other than a tiny red pimple at the site of the injection. Having said that, I'm taking Ibuprofen at the moment due to having a trapped nerve, so that might have masked slight aches or stopped fever or chills. There's no signs of any bruising at the injection site either, I put this down to totally relaxing my arm before the injection and looking away - the looking away isn't because I'm squeamish, it's to stop any involuntary tensing of the muscle when the needle goes in. I find this minimises the risk of the muscle being bruised.
Ibuprofen will be ineffective for a trapped nerve, you need something like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline.

Last edited:
Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my AZ jab earlier at 2pm, I’m starting to feel really fatigued like you do when you’re unwell, but no other symptoms. I’ll just turn in early tonight and see how I am tomorrow.
I'm only now starting to feel normal again. Had a really rough night on Saturday, felt like I had the proper flu with a banging headache, uncontrollable tremors/shivering. In bed all day Sunday, felt a little brighter in the evening, but now I'm 90%. Was pretty rough for 12 hours though, not felt like that since I was young and had the flu.

Looking forward to the second one! :banana:

Edit My Images
Yes
Ibuprofen will be ineffective for a trapped nerve, you need something like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline.
Thanks for your concern, I can assure you that it is appreciated. :) My GP prescribed a combination of Ibuprofen (plus a stomach protectant, Lansoprazole) and Paracetamol as a first step in pain control. When the sciatic pain was at its peak I did discus this with him and was prescribed Gabapentin. However, after reading the many possible side-effects (including drowsiness), and weighing up the likelihood of them, I decided against taking it, reasoning that I'd skip that step and go on to Morphine if and it became absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, it hasn't come to that yet; currently the pain has subsided to an ache, discomfort and numbness, so I'm still on the NSAIDs two or three time a day (as I find the need) to take the edge off that while I await the result of hospital tests (an MRI scan and EMG test) as to the cause and, hopefully, a remedy to it. Honestly, all those millions of years of evolution, and it seems we're still not very well made! ;)

Edit My Images
Yes
My second jab was booked at the same time as the first
Mine too, after receiving the NHS letter I booked both appointments via the NHS vaccination website, as it wouldn't accept just a single booking. Unfortunately, I had to book two different vaccination centres (in nearby towns) for the first and second dose, as the first centre didn't allow me to book a second appointment there. A week last Monday, 5 days before the first vaccine appointment I'd booked (last Saturday), my local GP practice phoned me up to offer me an appointment in my own town on the Friday! There was no option for (or mention of) this on the NHS website when I booked! Still, it's better to offer two meals to a starving person than none at all, I suppose! To avoid any vaccine going to waste I told them I'd keep my original booking for the first injection, so they could contact someone else and allocate my (local) place to them.

I think it would be all too easy to criticise this as poor organisation; however, when you think about the logistics of contacting and vaccinating the whole UK population (or at least offering them the option of this) I think the government and NHS has done a pretty amazing job so far, and my thanks go to them for this. Credit where it's due. (y)

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a bad headache kick in about 5 hours after the jab. About 8 hours after the jab I had the chills. I went to bed early with hot blanket on and took paracetamol.

The headache lasted into the next day but the chills went after a couple of hours. Arm a bit sore a day or two later. My OH had a worse sore arm but nothing else.

I’ll take the second jab [emoji4]
Basically mirrors how I felt. I struggled to sleep though as I ached all over as well as having the headache and chills but once I hit the paracetamol around 4am I was feeling better by about 9am. I never got a sore arm mind you.

My wife got the jab today so I'll be interested to see if it affects her in a similar way.

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for your concern, I can assure you that it is appreciated. :) My GP prescribed a combination of Ibuprofen (plus a stomach protectant, Lansoprazole) and Paracetamol as a first step in pain control. When the sciatic pain was at its peak I did discus this with him and was prescribed Gabapentin. However, after reading the many possible side-effects (including drowsiness), and weighing up the likelihood of them, I decided against taking it, reasoning that I'd skip that step and go on to Morphine if and it became absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, it hasn't come to that yet; currently the pain has subsided to an ache, discomfort and numbness, so I'm still on the NSAIDs two or three time a day (as I find the need) to take the edge off that while I await the result of hospital tests (an MRI scan and EMG test) as to the cause and, hopefully, a remedy to it. Honestly, all those millions of years of evolution, and it seems we're still not very well made! ;)
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, at least your GP seems to have given you a fair few options to help ease it.

I took Gabapentin to see if it might prevent my cluster headaches, it didn't along with the many other off label use drugs i've tried over the years.
Did help my back pain a lot though and if taken at night the drowsiness was a bonus, can't say as I had any other problems though.
Not a fan of the stomach protecting drugs, didn't react well to Omeprazole when I took it a few years ago.
Amitriptyline in small doses helps a lot of people with nerve pain, but i've never taken that one.

Having similar problems myself with nerve damage after the flu jab was administered poorly.
Not taking anything for it . tried too much over the years to try and ease the bad nut.
One other thing that might help is steroids, every now and then I have a short sharp course of Prednisolone.
Breaks up very bad bouts of the headache and feel a lot better in general albeit fairly briefly.

Hope whatever you do helps, constant pain does get rather wearing after a while.

Edit My Images
No
I had the vaccine jab, last week. Was sick for two days, but other than that I'm relieved I've done it. Hopefully, the world starts picking up the pieces and getting normal again.

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Mine too, after receiving the NHS letter I booked both appointments via the NHS vaccination website, as it wouldn't accept just a single booking. Unfortunately, I had to book two different vaccination centres (in nearby towns) for the first and second dose, as the first centre didn't allow me to book a second appointment there. A week last Monday, 5 days before the first vaccine appointment I'd booked (last Saturday), my local GP practice phoned me up to offer me an appointment in my own town on the Friday! There was no option for (or mention of) this on the NHS website when I booked! Still, it's better to offer two meals to a starving person than none at all, I suppose! To avoid any vaccine going to waste I told them I'd keep my original booking for the first injection, so they could contact someone else and allocate my (local) place to them.

I think it would be all too easy to criticise this as poor organisation; however, when you think about the logistics of contacting and vaccinating the whole UK population (or at least offering them the option of this) I think the government and NHS has done a pretty amazing job so far, and my thanks go to them for this. Credit where it's due. (y)
There are two systems to make sure no-one slips through the net - the national one and the GP led one. Go through the national system (letter and web site) and you book both jabs at the same time. That system uses the bigger centres which are usually in action all day every day. GP surgeries have grouped together to use smaller centres which operate as and when, which can be closer to where you live. They notify by text or phone and you book the first then wait to be invited again to book the 2nd. The two systems sometimes run at different speeds. I had the letter before the text and was able to get a next day booking at my nearest 'big' centre, but like you my 2nd is somewhere else. My partner had the text first and went to the GP led centre his surgery is using, but had a week's wait.

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
GP surgeries have grouped together to use smaller centres which operate as and when, which can be closer to where you live. They notify by text or phone and you book the first then wait to be invited again to book the 2nd.
Mine was at a GP surgery a few miles away, they booked me in for both appointments in the initial phone call, only got a couple of days notice for the first one
Must work differently depending on the area you live

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Felt ok for about 10 hours after jab then terrible chills, slight headache and aches that lasted for about 48 hours.

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically mirrors how I felt. I struggled to sleep though as I ached all over as well as having the headache and chills but once I hit the paracetamol around 4am I was feeling better by about 9am. I never got a sore arm mind you.

My wife got the jab today so I'll be interested to see if it affects her in a similar way.
She feels pretty much the same.