Non UK anyone has shots of Cyprus?

Name
NIkos
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone has ever visited Cyprus and has taken shots? there are many beautiful landscapes, monuments etc and I would like to know if anyone has any collection...

Been lots of times, never to shoot landscapes or monuments though.

been to shoot rallying and to eat drink and R&R. The Troodos mountains are beautiful and dotted with churches and old fashioned Greek villages.

some of the coast is beautiful.

driving is easy, on the Lh side of the road and with English road signs

the food is gorgeous

I’ve been a few times, but not specifically for photography.

I will be going there in late april. Any suggestions welcomed. Going for R&R but will have a small camera with me.

Check out Nicosia, buffer zone, barbed wire. And google varosha famagusta.

I go to Paphos three to four times a year, not for photography purposes but still take general snapshots. Here a link to my Flickr Cyprus photo album.

Just ask if you like to know where the shots were taken.

well didn't have the time to see them all but the top cover is in pafos

Been many times, the troodos mountains are a must see with great monasteries.
Also now you can visit the famagusta buffer zone which entails great photo opportunities of derelict buildings.

I was in the Army between 1964 and 1980 and spent the first three years in Dhekelia, Cyprus. Any photographs I have are all in B&W. self printed in a garrison darkroom. They have lasted remarkably well considering they are now 58 years old. It will have changed all out of recognition now including the ones in the Troodos mountains where the military had a holiday camp for families.

There are a few which were taken in places which will now not be accessible in what is now the Turkish area of Kyrenia on the north of the Island. I remember B&W printing was difficult because of the extreme contrast of bright sun and the landscape composed of bleached white limestone. They are packed away but will dig a couple out and scan them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a few time too, I had an Aunt that lived in Paphos for a few years and we visited her regularly. Tomb of the Kings, Aphrodite Beach/Rock, and there's some old Greek ruins around Paphos point. The area around Turtle Beach & Lara Beach are lovely too.

It's been around 15 years since we've been though, my Aunt passed about 12 years ago.

Here's a couple. Been many times to the nicer half of Cyprus.

2017-10-05_01-47-44.jpg

2017-10-05_01-47-37.jpg

Kyrenia, Oh how it has changed since 1966. The view of the harbour is I believe from the top of the castle walls. That was strictly off limits when I was there and garrisoned by a lot of Turkish Cypriot troops.

These three pictures of Cyprus were shot in 1965ish the first two are of Kyrenia harbour which has been massively redeveloped over the years and the third was Troodos Village square in the summer of 1966. As I mentioned before there was a lot of suspicion towards people with cameras. Image OO3 is of the fort where one of the original colour pictures were taken. Out of sight in all pictures is a pier which was also heavily guarded and at the end was a 4 barrel 20mm anti aircraft gun, fully manned. There was a lot of hostility between the Greeks and Turks, even then.

Attachments

• Cyprus002.jpg
    Cyprus002.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cyprus003.jpg
    Cyprus003.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Cyprus004.jpg
    Cyprus004.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 14
I went once about fifteen years ago - I'd never go back . . .

These three pictures of Cyprus were shot in 1965ish the first two are of Kyrenia harbour which has been massively redeveloped over the years and the third was Troodos Village square in the summer of 1966. As I mentioned before there was a lot of suspicion towards people with cameras. Image OO3 is of the fort where one of the original colour pictures were taken. Out of sight in all pictures is a pier which was also heavily guarded and at the end was a 4 barrel 20mm anti aircraft gun, fully manned. There was a lot of hostility between the Greeks and Turks, even then.
Amazing. Do you have anymore. It's an absolute favourite places of mine.

I went once about fifteen years ago - I'd never go back . . .

I bet you were only there for a couple of weeks. I was there for 3 years. You get acclimatised to the living and customs and I will never forget the GENUINE Kebabs. No greasy reconstituted lamb mince but the genuine article. Brandy at the equivalent of 75p per bottle (Duty free) The Limassol Wine festival was worth going to, partly because the huge vats of that years produce could be drank at will - free.

The modern tourist resort with a bad reputation, Ayia Nappa was non existent, so we used to gravitate to Figtree Bay about 4 miles up the coast towards Famagusta where the sand was pure white and the water deep blue. Oh happy days.

Amazing. Do you have anymore. It's an absolute favourite places of mine.

I do have some more but they are of places like Belapais Abbey and a Roman town, the name of which I cannot remember, I will have to look it up. They will take a bit longer to dig out.

I bet you were only there for a couple of weeks. I was there for 3 years.

No, I was working there for about ten weeks.

I would never go near a holiday resort - I've always avoided them and can't understand how anyone could put up with such an environment.

I bet you were only there for a couple of weeks. I was there for 3 years. You get acclimatised to the living and customs and I will never forget the GENUINE Kebabs. No greasy reconstituted lamb mince but the genuine article. Brandy at the equivalent of 75p per bottle (Duty free) The Limassol Wine festival was worth going to, partly because the huge vats of that years produce could be drank at will - free.

The modern tourist resort with a bad reputation, Ayia Nappa was non existent, so we used to gravitate to Figtree Bay about 4 miles up the coast towards Famagusta where the sand was pure white and the water deep blue. Oh happy days.

I do have some more but they are of places like Belapais Abbey and a Roman town, the name of which I cannot remember, I will have to look it up. They will take a bit longer to dig out.
Maybe Salamis?
We looked at getting married at Belepais Abbey at one time.
To be it's such an amazing country, it had changed even over the 20 or so years I've been going but still lovely people, a real feel safe atmosphere I once left my camera and wallet at a bar and a worker came running after down the street after me with it.
Shame it's annoying to travel there either fly to the south or via turkey.

Spot on Salamis it is. I remember being on the beach there and the water is very shallow, there being little tide in the Med. and you could see bits and pieces of Roman pottery in the sand for anyone to pick up. Yes I have pictures of salamis and some of Belapais abbey as well. That at the time I was there under Greek Orthodox Control but now it is in the Turkish held north, I wonder what it is like?
No, I was working there for about ten weeks.

I would never go near a holiday resort - I've always avoided them and can't understand how anyone could put up with such an environment.

Although it is a very small island the tourism is mainly on the south. There is a lot of places where you can travel and I imagine it is very much as it was when I was there. Looking at detailed maps there is very little development away from towns like Larnaca, Limassol, Famagusta or Nicosia.

Soldiery being soldiery we used to wind up the Greek Cypriot Police when we drove past a police station we would turn off the ignition on the minibus and then after a couple of seconds turn it back on again. You could depend on getting a double backfire as loud as gun shots. I suppose we were lucky not to get shot at ourselves. :oops: :$

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Spot on Salamis it is. I remember being on the beach there and the water is very shallow, there being little tide in the Med. and you could see bits and pieces of Roman pottery in the sand for anyone to pick up. Yes I have pictures of salamis and some of Belapais abbey as well. That at the time I was there under Greek Orthodox Control but now it is in the Turkish held north, I wonder what it is like?

Although it is a very small island the tourism is mainly on the south. There is a lot of places where you can travel and I imagine it is very much as it was when I was there. Looking at detailed maps there is very little development away from towns like Larnaca, Limassol, Famagusta or Nicosia.

Soldiery being soldiery we used to wind up the Greek Cypriot Police when we drove past a police station we would turn off the ignition on the minibus and then after a couple of seconds turn it back on again. You could depend on getting a double backfire as loud as gun shots. I suppose we were lucky not to get shot at ourselves. :oops: :$
If I remember I'm put some more photos on all the ones i have on my phone at the minute are too big.

I was in Cyprus with the United Nations- ( Army) based in Nicosia and various other places Mt Troodos and My Olympus guarding those massive white Radar globes - my tour was for 2 years and I loved it- I do have images somewhere - I'll have a look for them

Les :)

When were you there? The security of the radar 'golf-balls' was down to the RAF Regiment when I was there, the UN were confined to areas where there was likely to be conflict between the Turkish and Greek population and the Troodos area was predominately Greek.

I wonder if the 'golf balls' are still there?

When were you there? The security of the radar 'golf-balls' was down to the RAF Regiment when I was there, the UN were confined to areas where there was likely to be conflict between the Turkish and Greek population and the Troodos area was predominately Greek.

I wonder if the 'golf balls' are still there?
Not there as far as I remember, lot of army bases though all over the place.

Were these army bases Greek, Turkish or U.N. The British were confined to bases in Akrotiri, Dhekelia and a radio station in a place called Ayios Nikolaos just south of Famagusta (and of Course Troodos, where the radar was part of the early warning system in the Cold War)

Back