Anyone know where to get 6"X9" Photopaper?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't find some anywhere :confused-

I know where to get 11x8 and a pair of scissors :)

GfK said:
I know where to get 11x8 and a pair of scissors :)

LOL I can do that with A4, just a bit more expensive :)

Why you need such an odd size, anyway? :ponders:

same ratio as sensor size, I've had a lot of shots lately, mainly :censored: horses where even at 17mm I've needed to go edge to edge. Printing to A4 always ends up in chopping something off.

Oh, I see. I think its just a trait of digital photography that we have to learn to live with.

I've never heard of 6x9 paper anyway and after a look around all the usual places, can only find the more 'common' sizes. You'll probably find you can't get 6x9 frames either.

I generally expect to have to crop pictures slightly anyway, so I try to take this into account when shooting. On the other hand, if you absolutely must have them at 6x9, then A4 paper and a guillotine from Staples will serve you well. ;)

not quite the same but there's always photobox.co.uk

noah said:
not quite the same but there's always photobox.co.uk
And they're a good option at 99p, that's probably what I'll end up with, thanks noah :)

dod said:
And they're a good option at 99p, that's probably what I'll end up with, thanks noah :)

no probs, i was pleased with the results last time i used them :thumb:

I've used photobox in the past, too. Got a couple of 2mpx images blown up to A3 size. Results were bloody amazing.

It's an old problem this which goes right back to the days of plate cameras and the size of those plates dictated the size of picture frames which largely persists to this day. 10" X8" was a contact print from a full plate camera, with 5"X4" being a contact print from a half plate camera.

With film, any reputable processing place should now be able to print on 3:2 paper so you don't get any cropping, but this is one area where the printer paper manufacturers really need to get their acts together.

On a slight aside, www.pixum.co.uk have got a Crimbo special offer of 7p per 6x4 print. Just ordered 88 pictures at just over £8 including P&P.

Not a brilliant size but fine for holiday snaps or proofing a set of images! :)

Always been pleased with the quality too.

SammyC said:
On a slight aside, www.pixum.co.uk have got a Crimbo special offer of 7p per 6x4 print.

Not worth printing your own at those prices

I'll let you know what I think of the printing at that price when they arrive!

I have not checked for a while but photobox do some silly cheap prices on regular print sizes and their quality is tried and tested.

Just a thought

I had a compare Steve and I think Pixum beat them on price at the moment at least.

For Photobox, I advise signing up for their email newsletter. It only comes once every few weeks but they're always running special offers of 25% off this or 50% off that.

SammyC said:
On a slight aside, www.pixum.co.uk have got a Crimbo special offer of 7p per 6x4 print. Just ordered 88 pictures at just over £8 including P&P.

Photobox do a Pre-pay scheme, as little as 6p per photo up to 6"x4½" including P&P :)

Yes, but don't you have to purchase a b'zillion to get the best rate?

Got my prints from Pixum and I'm very pleased with them! The photo I have of the Tokyo sunset that is up in the critique forum has come out perfectly with the foreground being perfect!

I would recommend them to others for at least giving them a try. :)

what sort of turn around do these firms have?

What time-wise?

I ordered them on Friday evening, they were posted on Monday and arrived on Wednesday. They have to come from Germany so probably take a little longer then UK based ones.

Production time:
Orders in 3.5, 4, 4.5 and 5 inch formats: 1 day + shipment
Orders in 8 inch format: 2 days + shipment
Order in poster format (12 inch / 20 inch): 3 days + shipment
Order of gifts: 4 days + shipment

Shipment is 2 days for UK.

SammyC said:
What time-wise?

They have to come from Germany so probably take a little longer then UK based ones.
So is this a German company or and English one based in Germany?

It's a German one who have a UK website.

I have used them three times now and always delivered what I expected.

Cheers Sammy, that’s a great help. I have just had a look at the link you placed earlier in this thread and they also have a German Webby which is great news. Their prices are very competitive and with your recommendation, when I need to start getting some prints done in the near future, I will give them a try. :thumb:

No problem Steve, I'd be very interested in what you think of their prints as I have nothing to compare it too personally.

photobox usually give me next day if i order early in the morning :)

(uk delivery)

Ok, just had delivered another order from www.pixum.co.uk this time for some larger prints.

Ordered:
3 of 4x6
6 of 8x12
3 of 20x30
(all in inches)

Cost was approximately £25 including P&P. Ordered on Friday evening and arrived today (Wednesday). :thumb:

I am REALLY impressed with the quality of the prints, especially the large poster ones. The colours are just as they appear on my screen and the detail is spot on!

One weird thing is that a couple of the prints I ordered were in B&W but when I saved them as a greyscale image the website rejected them. Saving them as RGB values (but grey ones) and they uploaded fine and printed fine too. Very strange! :p

Anyway, they have a special offer on at the moment so they are particularly cheap!

:)

Back