Anyone own a Kia Stonic?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at getting a new car and like the look of these, a test drive is booked for later in the week but keen to get real user opinions too.

I am attracted to this as I can get £2.5k for my car on the scrappage scheme. Its done me well for the 18 months I have had it but is worth a lot less than that and will need a few bits at MOT in March incl. cambelt & tyres, and the roof mechanism didn't work a few weeks ago (Pug 307CC). I want something pretty versatile, with some space for trips and kids but don't need a huge car. These days I am less fussed about badge (especially as I am paying) and more about low cost of ownership and what it comes with. Potentially looking at a Kuga and Qashqai as they are coming up favourably in terms of monthly cost. Mileage is very low, probably done less than 6k in last 12 months)

I drive a qashqai and my wife had a juke. When her lease expired we looked at the Stonic. We were disappointed. You have to get the top spec or else it feels very cheap and tacky inside. The problem is that in terms of lease, once you get to the top specs you’re into high spec qashqai money. I’m paying £300/month for a top spec qashqai, the top spec stonics were only £20 cheaper to lease. We didn’t want to spend that kind of money for a second car but if money wasn’t an issue, I’d have the qashqai over the stonic any day. Different league.

If you’re thinking about the qashqai then the sportage is worth a look.

Last edited:
Thanks. The cheap and tacky feel is something i am concerned about, although a sit in one today and I was reasonably impressed. Yes, the doors are all plastic, but a quick play seemed ok. TBH the 2 model (or possibly the 3) would be the one, not fussed about the extras on the top 4. The Sportage is out as I need a car that is part of the scrapage scheme, although it turns out that the only some will do that and discount so the Kia may be out at the start! Got a test drive in a Qashqai booked too this wee and may look at a Kuga.

Which engine? Been really happy with my Ford 2.0 diesel (shhhh) and now happy with the 3 cylinder 1.0 eco thingy in wife's Fiesta.

Drove the Stonic, seemed like a nice car, better than I thought although engine seemed flat. Drove the Qashqai today and very impressed. Felt Germanic in build and quality, nice engine and drove well.

Back