Anyone ran a food Van before?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Just thinking it over as a second income source and wondering how much of a ballache it is getting all the hygiene and food certificates off a council. And generally any other experiences of running one to think about.

Such a venture is notorious for being 'protected by gangs'. Certification may be the lesser problem!

I remember the hot dog cart wars in the west end, got a bit nasty with the barrows getting turned over and fisticuffs. Also happened with the roasted chestnut mob too, same sort of agro, think it was just rival operators.
Even buskers get stroppy, unwritten rule that they only get so long at a good spot, overstay and it all kicks off.

Just thinking it over as a second income source and wondering how much of a ballache it is getting all the hygiene and food certificates off a council. And generally any other experiences of running one to think about.

Don't forget it won't be just your van that you will need to pas food hygiene for, if you store or prepare any of you food at home then your storage/food prep/kitchen will have to be up to standard and inspected as well

A friend at Wiltshire County Council looked after this aspect of registration and certification of mobile food sellers. The individual also had to be registered.

He used to attend car boot sales etc as it came under the remit of the Public Protection section. Quite strict.

I had a catering trailer a good few years ago, horrible time. Very hard to get a decent location, always someone trying to cause aggro. I always had a problem finding a storage location, landlords always wanting silly storage fees. I never made any money at it, I lost a good few bob. But obviously, if you get a great location combined with all the other boxes ticked, could be a reasonable income. As regards to a second income source, it is very hard work and can take up too much of your time.

Good opportunity at the newly opened today Cambridge North railway station.

Apparently no food or drink facilities, thought the rail company would have been happy to take the coffee shops rent money

Back