Anyone still using Aperture?

Name
phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of upgrading OS to Yosemite (or Mavericks) and understand this will only run Aperture 3.6 - I have 3.2.2. Want to be able to migrate my library but don’t want to lose anything. Has anyone done this successfully?

So why not upgrade your Aperture to 3.6? Not sure why you refer to "migration" as it is just a normal upgrade, are you thinking about "Photos" app?

Sorry, should have said - 3.60 does not seem to be available. At least I can’t find it on the App Store.. The migration thing was me getting confused with Photos which I don’t fancy really as quite happy with Aperture. I know it is not supported any more but would like to keep it. Need to upgrade as I don’t receive software updates for Snow Leopard , particularly security updates.

Sorry, should have said - 3.60 does not seem to be available. At least I can’t find it on the App Store.. The migration thing was me getting confused with Photos which I don’t fancy really as quite happy with Aperture. I know it is not supported any more but would like to keep it. Need to upgrade as I don’t receive software updates for Snow Leopard , particularly security updates.
Will aperture 3.6 run on Snow Leopard or is it Yosemite only?

Have you gone to the purchases section on the App store to try and update/reinstall from there?

Last edited:
That's a bit knotty. It is not on the App Store because it is no longer being sold. But it still appears in my Purchases so I could download it again if needed. However, I guess it is not compatible with Snow Leopard so maybe you cannot upgrade Aperture until you upgrade the OS. Maybe this is not feasible for you but what I do in these general circumstances is install a clone of my System on another hard drive/partition/machine and upgrade that to make sure everything works.

Now it is clearer what your problem is maybe someone will have another suggestion.

BTW, I've never had any problem upgrading Aperture and I have also experimentally imported the Aperture library into "Photos" without any problem and still had the Aperture app and library working OK - I seem to remember that the process renames the Aperture library so you have to change the name back or something similar.

Aperture works on the El Capitan public beta though I have read there are "issues" -- not seen any myself. Since El Capitan is billed as a stability release (like Snow Leopard) I have hopes that Aperture will continue to work.

I use Aperture 3.6 and Yeosmite. I need to get lightroom soon as I heard once Yeosmite is the last OS to support Aperture
Yep, which is a real shame, especially because of how crap Photos is.

Hi you need to upgrade the os first then you can upgrade aperture to the latest and last edition.
I think it is a real shame that This is the end of aperture

I have moved totally to Capture One, from Aperture and lightroom.

Although lightroom is still installed.

Thanks for replies - a bit clearer now. Will probably bite the bullet and upgrade the OS then see about upgrading Aperture. It is not shown in my purchases for some reason so will have to figure that one out. Everything is backed up by Time Machine to an external disc so I will have a copy of everything current.

I did this a while back, just updated OS to Yosemite and then got a list of apps that needed updating invluding aperture.
I still use it as it's what I know and will probably just continue using it on my laptop running Yosemite as long as I can.

If you bought your copy of Aperture through the App store, here's how to get Aperture 3.6...

Step 1: move your current copy of Aperture to the trash
Open the Applications folder, and drag the Aperture icon to the trash. This will not delete your photos (unless you managed to put your vault in the same folder, but this would be a rather exotic and crazy setup).

Step 2: install Aperture 3.6 from the App Store
Open the App Store app. Click on the Purchased icon. Find Aperture, and click on the Install button. Aperture will be downloaded and installed.

Loved Aperture but now I have made the move to Lightroom I can see that it is much more advanced. Shame they didn't keep Aperture current

Shame they didn't sell it off for someone more dynamic to build on it, and keep the existing users happy.

Not sure if this is hijacking someone else's thread (and if so, sorry), but I am still using Aperture (3.6). Obviously I can keep using it for a while yet; I don't usually upgrade to a new OS version for 6 months or a year, and Aperture might continue working. But clearly the end is in sight, and I'll need to get something else in time (as will most other Aperture users). The general impression I get is that some folk find the way LR works a bit odd when coming from Aperture, and it seems quite a few have jumped to Capture One Pro. I'm a bit prejudiced against Adobe (for no very good reason, but that's prejudice for you!), and hence biased towards C1P What I don't know is how well it plays with other software tools.

I do almost all my editing in Aperture, and I've only used Elements a few times. Most of those have been pass-throughs to other tools like ColorPerfect, Topaz Simplify etc. I've done some focus stacking with Helicon Focus as an Aperture plugin.

Any suggestions on what software to begin investigating?

I did some beta testing for affinity it was ok but if you have elements it maybe all you need.

What is the final version of affinity like

I loved aperture and was my editor of choice for my Raw processing business. Now I have switched to lightroom and Capture one.

I love Capture One but Lightroom is quicker, with 90% of the quality (my perception)

I binned aperture after upgrading to El Capitan and downloaded Affinity Photo from the App store. Not enjoying it at all. Saying that I am thinking of selling my Macbook and going for this iPad Pro and using it for all my photo editing. I really only do Sports and usually very little editing as if it doesn't look right from the camera it won't make a massive difference what I do to it.

Last edited:
I binned aperture after upgrading to El Capitan and downloaded Affinity Photo from the App store. Not enjoying it at all. Saying that I am thinking of selling my Macbook and going for this iPad Pro and using it for all my photo editing. I really only do Sports and usually very little editing as if it doesn't look right from the camera it won't make a massive difference what I do to it.
Hi Darren,I used Aperture as well and loved it and when Photos came out I slagged it a bit at first but its pretty good and doesn't El capital allow plugins?
The Photo cataloguing is excellent and you can create some great slideshows with music of choice very easily.
I have Affinity Photo and think as a PS alternative is and will be very good but i don't like the raw editing side of it,find photos produces a much more natural looking raw edit.
I use a mac and won't be getting rid,i still have LR and PS and use LR to do my main editing and lens correction then export to Photos to organise.
I have just bought a book on the Photos app,let me know if you want a link and il look for it.
I can't wait for the iPad Pro myself,the screen res sounds as though it will be great to view photos and I have a few Art apps that will use the pencil.
Ive found unless you want to do something Arty with your photos basic editing is all one needs as a rule so i think you won't be disappointed and have more time to enjoy other things.
PS,you look like a fellow guitarist :)

Last edited:
Yes!

I've not read all the above posts so someone might have already warned you - if you update to Yosemite, it will delete Aperture and all your projects and files in in too!!!! This means anything you've processed with aperture will disappear (and NO, you cannot get it back - I spent many frustrating hours in the Apple store with the 'geniuses') and it will delete your photobooks that you've made using it, and anything else that has been done purely in Aperture.

However, you can redownload the aperture program if you bought it online via the apple app store - but you still don't get your files back (unless you've done a time machine backup and reinstall it)

I upgraded to yosemite and all it did was down load the latest version of aperture and the last update that they are doing. I didn't loose any thing, not sure what will have with this new version though

I am still using aperture, I don't want to say good bye to it.. part of me thinks I may as well though, as I can still catalog in Photos and then just use phtooshp as an external editor.. I'm still hanging on for now though, running yosemite on my retina 15 inch.

Lawrence you can always have a boot drive for Yosemite so that you can always have aperture if you want even when Apples latest doesn't even let you run it.

Yes!

I've not read all the above posts so someone might have already warned you - if you update to Yosemite, it will delete Aperture and all your projects and files in in too!!!! This means anything you've processed with aperture will disappear (and NO, you cannot get it back - I spent many frustrating hours in the Apple store with the 'geniuses') and it will delete your photobooks that you've made using it, and anything else that has been done purely in Aperture.

However, you can redownload the aperture program if you bought it online via the apple app store - but you still don't get your files back (unless you've done a time machine backup and reinstall it)

Maria, something else must have caused this; simply upgrading to Yosemite doesn't (at least not for me and many others). I'm happily running Yosemite and Aperture with no worries, and have even heard that it can run on El Capitan, though whether with full capability I haven't heard yet. However, the writing is on the wall for us happy Aperture users.

I downloaded a trial of Affinity, but AFAICS it is a destructive editing, multi-layer program, an alternative for Photoshop (or Elements), not really for Aperture. I'm looking for a non-destructive editing program along the lines of Aperture, that also does the management bit. Looks like I'm going to have to trial LR (strike that, don't want to pay a subscription) or Capture One Pro. But I'll probably put it off until I absolutely have to!

Well...I updated to El Capitan ..guess what? Aperture not working ! ..it still shows as a purchase in the App Store but won't update and re - install , App Store says " temporarily unavailable " ...off to Lightroom it is then ! Shame as I liked aperture .

Well...I updated to El Capitan ..guess what? Aperture not working ! ..it still shows as a purchase in the App Store but won't update and re - install , App Store says " temporarily unavailable " ...off to Lightroom it is then ! Shame as I liked aperture .

It appears from this thread on (what used to be) Aperture Expert (now PhotApps.Expert?) that some people have got it working, short of soft-proofing. One hint in a comment is to trash the preferences and start again...

Holy thread revival, I know... but I am still using Aperture, and have kept my Mac on Yosemite. I'm thinking I really ought to upgrade to High Sierra to get back to getting security updates, and I'm not sure what's going to happen to Aperture.

Is anyone still using Aperture on High Sierra and could comment?

The plan eventually is to to move to something like Capture One Pro, but at my age I'm quite worried about the learning curve... I've got Affinity Photo and find it pretty much impenetrable unless I can find a video that shows exactly what I want to do (layers make my brain go mushy)! I'd like to keep going with Aperture as long as possible.

Chris Udemy offer some really good AP tuition videos, the guys name is Simon Foster.they are on offer at the moment
Taken from an email to users on AP forum

75% off 'Affinity Photo for the iPad' with this coupon: AFFINITY_IPAD_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'Excellent!! I have learned a great deal in a short time. Would recommend this course to anyone.'

66% off 'Affinity Photo: Solid Foundations' with this coupon: SOLID_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'Great course, have learnt such a lot. the subtle repetition helps a lot. The videos are easy watch and to keep up with. Tutors voice is very easy to listen to all evening too!'

60% off 'Affinity Photo: Developing Landscapes' with this coupon: LANDSCAPE_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'It's the only video that shows a complete work flow using Affinity photo. It's just what beginners like me have been crying out for, well done!'

60% off 'Affinity Photo: The Little Box of Tricks' with this coupon: TRICKS_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'Totally awesome and at the exact speed to match my level in Affinity'

50% off 'Affinity Photo: Raw Image Development' with this coupon: RAW_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'Clear, concise, informative, simple to understand and fun.'

50% off 'Affinity Photo: Five Steps to Better Photos' with this coupon: 5STEPS_2017 - https://www.udemy.com/affinity...

'Exceptional course, even after completing 2 advanced courses. Simon is very good in what he does and is a good communicator as well.'

The vouchers are available until 6th january 2018 and are on a first come, first served basis.

Happy Holidays!

Simon

solid foundations is a good one to start with

Thanks Simon, signed up for that one...not started yet.

One problem I have with the Serif videos is, I only have a 15" macbook Pro, so it's not really possible to watch the video and work on my photo on the same screen; have to keep swapping back and forth. Anyway, we'll see how this goes. I hope it will help me get to grasp layers in the context of Affinity Photo a lot better (I have a vague grasp of layers, but it falls apart as soon as I try to put it into practice). I do have a shot right now where I want to replace the background behind the object with black, so that's at least something to try... later on!

Still wondering if anyone else is still using Aperture!

Thanks Simon, signed up for that one...not started yet.

One problem I have with the Serif videos is, I only have a 15" macbook Pro, so it's not really possible to watch the video and work on my photo on the same screen; have to keep swapping back and forth. Anyway, we'll see how this goes. I hope it will help me get to grasp layers in the context of Affinity Photo a lot better (I have a vague grasp of layers, but it falls apart as soon as I try to put it into practice). I do have a shot right now where I want to replace the background behind the object with black, so that's at least something to try... later on!

Still wondering if anyone else is still using Aperture!
im Chris,Simon is the video presenter here
https://www.udemy.com/user/simonfoster4/

do you have a tablet that you could watch the course on

Holy thread revival, I know... but I am still using Aperture, and have kept my Mac on Yosemite. I'm thinking I really ought to upgrade to High Sierra to get back to getting security updates, and I'm not sure what's going to happen to Aperture.

Is anyone still using Aperture on High Sierra and could comment?

The plan eventually is to to move to something like Capture One Pro, but at my age I'm quite worried about the learning curve... I've got Affinity Photo and find it pretty much impenetrable unless I can find a video that shows exactly what I want to do (layers make my brain go mushy)! I'd like to keep going with Aperture as long as possible.
I still run Aperture 3.6 on High Sierra 10.13.3 beta with no problems, although I'm only an occasional user now.

Back