Anyone Use The Nik (Google) Software

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Watching a video on YouTube, the presenter, as a final stage sent the image he was working on to his Nik Software bundle. I just wondered if anyone on TP was using any of the Nik package and what they felt about it.

I have been using the Topaz Effects bundle for some time now and the Nik stuff, now that Google have it is now a similar price to the Topaz offering. It would be good to find out if one of the programmes is any better than the other. Most of my PP work is for landscapes.

I use it (them?) and love it. A few years ago NikSoftware was considered 'de rigeur' for Black and White post-processing but it was expensive for each individual Element - Google bought it and now distribute the complete bundle for what I consider to be a reasonable price prior to the original prices.

Ditched using Topaz in favour of Nik the moment Google did the right thing and sold the bundle at an affordable price. No regrets whatsoever.

Whilst LR provides control points for adjustment, the way it's implemented in Nik is, I find, easier to use.

Barry, Adrian, thanks for the help. After the prices I had seen some time ago, £95 for the complete looks to be great value.

I have bought it but not used it much as LR does what I need to.

I use it solely for B&W. Gets you to where you want to be much quicker than LR.

I like the Nik range of software, I use the silver efex pro sometimes for B&W, only problem I've found is you need a light touch with the sliders as it's easy to generate unwanted noise if you are not careful, Dfine I use for noise reduction if ever I need it, and in Color Efex Pro, I use the skylight filter to gently 'liven up' colours on an odd image.
One thing I particularly like is you can 'paint' the filter on the image, so can be very selective in how and where it's applied.

I use Nik regularly and very happy with it. If you are going to buy it I would suggest googling for a discount code - there always seems to be one around. HDRsoftware15 worked for me, don't know if it is still valid - gave 15% off what was already a good price.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm ready to take the plunge, does anyone have a code at all to make a fair priced product even cheaper?

I've used it for a number of years, even before Google took over. There are quite a number of tutorial videos available through the "Learn" link on the website. Very useful for getting started.

I've used it quite a bit but am rather lazy now with the variety of LR presets I have and find something more suitable for the type of photos I take in there most of the time.

Good option though.

Can only really echo what other's have said. I love Silver Efex and it is my regular go to start point for presets (I very rarely block process and often tweek each individual image to suit). I've had a play with the other programs in the bundle and often scour YouTube for instructional videos.
Once you get playing with them they're great.

I bought Silver efex just prior to the Google takeover and was given a free upgrade to the whole package shortly afterwards. I find very little use for the other modules though.

I use Silver Efex pro for my B/W and very happy with it.I dont use any of the other modules either.

I received Silver Efex Pro free bundled with my Epson R2880 printer in a deal WEX were doing a couple of years ago.

When Google took over NIK I also received the complete bundle free - Good fun to experiment with, however I end up using only a handful of effects on a few selected images. A lot of the presets are a tad overcooked for my taste.

Best plug-ins out there and fantastic value for money once Google bought them over. I had seen them demoed at Focus a few years back but from memory each module was over £100 and there was no way I could justify spending that. Bought the package as soon as the price dropped and wouldn't be without it now. Use them in both Photoshop and Lightroom.

nik is a great system but like everything you need to know how to get the best out of it for individual photos

Back