Beginner Anyone using Darktable for PP?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening,
I wonder if anyone can help me? I have been using Faststone Image Viewer since I "got back into photography" about a year or so ago to process my RAW images which then saves them as a jpeg. Just recently I have been looking around for something else and came across Darktable. I was hoping to be able to import my images from Faststone into Darktable but I can only find my jpeg files and not any RAW files. Am I missing something or are the two not compatable?

Many thanks in advance
Simon

Hi Simon,

Did you go with Darktable? I'm in a similar situation and trying to decide if Darktable is for me. The Adobe tools are just so embedded in the photography community.

I use it. Does everything I need plus probably tonnes more that I don't know about!

Been using it for a couple of weeks...plenty of details/tutorials on You Tube.
I'm lucky in that apart from PS Elements 2 and 5...!... I haven't used the market leaders before.
Good example of a tutorial if a little 'in your face'.;)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi4x2qQkG8c&t=1042s

DT has also quite recently gone through a major upgrade release... From 2.6.3 to 3.0.0

I had forgotten about this thread. thanks for the replies. Since posting I have also started using Canon's DPP in conjunction with DT and I find the combination works very well...for me.

Thanks for the links. Some i'd seen and found useful, but hoping to hear some current real-world experience. So it's good to see some positive comments. I think that I will give it a try.

On a slightly practical level.... does anyone know if there any file administration tasks that need to be kept in mind? Does the database need any attention?

No

The current Windows download version is 2.6.3.

I think that Darktable 3.0.0 was released in December. A long list of enhancements including improvements to GUI.

I've downloaded it and hope to give it a try later this week.

On Christmas Eve in fact. Current download link is for version 3.0.0

On Christmas Eve in fact. Current download link is for version 3.0.0

So it does...Thank you.
Have read comments that 3.0.0 is still in Beta version.
If it's OK to use should I uninstall 2.6.3 before downloading 3.0.0.....or is there an update option?:)

Last edited:
If I remember correctly.... the install detected the installed version, warned that the database would be upgraded and asked for permission to proceed.

I clicked 'Yes' and it automatically uninstalled/installed. Then as you mentioned it asked permission to change the database (twice).
On opening the new version it contiued from where the last one was with the old images and history etc.
Thanks for that.:)
Capture.JPG

Back