Apple Slice

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen this done before and wanted to have my own shot at it. I haven't had the chance to get out for landscapes for a few weeks, so when I did get a few free hours one recent afternoon, cue frantic running around to try and set up the scene in the spare room:)

I've tried two processing approaches, and would appreciate feedback.

I used a black background which I've darkened down, but I'm not sure if it looks too artificial?

The second is an attempt to repeat a reflection effect like here (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lightbulb.566099/#post-6579023).

Constructive C&C welcome.

Cheers

Alan

chop chop
by alan72 on Talk Photography

chop chop 2
by alan72 on Talk Photography

Totally baffled how you create that. Great shot/s The 2nd is a little dark for me but more magical.
Thanks for commenting

I used kebab skewers and some blue tack against a black background, then a bit of careful cloning. The second shot is a composite, the image is copied as a layer in photoshop elements and then opacity reduced.

Looks like critique and feedback is tough to come by these days!!

I personally, would have used Layers in Photoshop, I do however love the 1st image- very creative

Les

Good effort, nicely photographed, personally I prefer the first, the chopping board seems to set a bit more context. One minor niggle is that the apple slices are not parallel, I appreciate it must have been a real fiddle getting it set up but you were after C&C.

I also wonder if you tried varying the spacing, closer gaps nearer the knife, bigger gaps further away?

How did you stop the apple going brown, or did you just work quickly?

Getting them absolutely parallel would make the illusion stronger.
I'm fascinated by the skewer versus layers debate. They both have obvious advantages. But it's often the intangible side effects that benefit the "do it live" approach. Even though I'm a layers juggler. Gimp has layers and is free.

Last edited:
I prefer the first image too and must say you've done an excellent job in the cloning to remove the skewers on the surface of the apple slices.

Good effort, nicely photographed, personally I prefer the first, the chopping board seems to set a bit more context. One minor niggle is that the apple slices are not parallel, I appreciate it must have been a real fiddle getting it set up but you were after C&C.

I also wonder if you tried varying the spacing, closer gaps nearer the knife, bigger gaps further away?

How did you stop the apple going brown, or did you just work quickly?

Cheers sirch, I painted the apple slices with lemon juice, it works really well to keep the apple fresh.

Nice idea on spacing, I may try this again and will do that.

Getting them absolutely parallel would make the illusion stronger.
I'm fascinated by the skewer versus layers debate. They both have obvious advantages. But it's often the intangible side effects that benefit the "do it live" approach. Even though I'm a layers juggler. Gimp has layers and is free.
Thanks Ian

I prefer the first image too and must say you've done an excellent job in the cloning to remove the skewers on the surface of the apple slices.

Thanks Chris

Wow great composure and technique.

Prefer the first with the visible cutting board. It gives the image a familiar point to work from. Second photo is making me wonder where in space the apple is.

Mj

First shot is great second is a bit too dark for me around the knife which kind of fades away. Nicely done though.

Wow great composure and technique.

Prefer the first with the visible cutting board. It gives the image a familiar point to work from. Second photo is making me wonder where in space the apple is.

Mj

First shot is great second is a bit too dark for me around the knife which kind of fades away. Nicely done though.

thanks Mark & Simon!

Excellent technique. I prefer the 1st one, but both are brilliant. I think the 2nd one would look better if you changed the colour of the background, so that it looks like you are cutting on a reflective black chopping board? Currently it just blends into the background so doesn't see very realistic

Back