Arctic tern at Cemlyn Bay

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Had a great few sessions at Cemlyn Bay (Anglesey) over the weekend. Following the desertion of the Skerries tern colony nearby many moved to Cemlyn so the colony there was larger and later than it usually is. Most of the arctic / common terns had moved off the island onto the shingle spit as soon as their youngsters could fly but the latter were still dependent on their parents for food. So there was plenty of opportunity to photograph birds with fish in beak and feeding their chicks. Amazing place!_8020833.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one

Very nice Jerry, liking the greenery in the foreground (y)

Was there last Friday afternoon, hottest day of the year my ar*e, it was overcast, dull and that windy we struggled to stand up!! :LOL:

Great place though, last couple of years we've gone middle of June and there's been a lot more Sandwich terns than we saw this time, still a few about but mainly Arctic/Common.

I went a couple of weeks ago not that much around then .. keep meaning to go to the little tern colony at gronant thats only 8 miles away , couldn't go in lockdown now the areas heaving with holiday makers

Very nice Jerry, liking the greenery in the foreground (y)

Was there last Friday afternoon, hottest day of the year my ar*e, it was overcast, dull and that windy we struggled to stand up!! :LOL:

Great place though, last couple of years we've gone middle of June and there's been a lot more Sandwich terns than we saw this time, still a few about but mainly Arctic/Common.

Yes, there were still some sandwich terns around on Saturday but they had almost all gone by Sunday. It was definitely my best visit by far photography-wise out of a total of about 6 altogether over the years. A peregrine paid three visits on saturday morning, twice dropping down on to the island and attempting to carry off some prey but both times finding it too difficult to take off with it. Apparently it was around several more times during the day._8020863.jpg

Last edited:
Back