B&W Ardley cemetary

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Photography is a bit like seasonal cooking - you just have to go with what's available in your area most of the time, which in my case means dull, sometimes foggy mornings if I'm lucky. There's something about Ardley church and cemetary that often has me coming back to take pictures, although these are the first from that location I've posted here.

These are anything but a straight image, but they are pretty much what I saw when I pressed the shutter button.

Ardley%20cemetary-0692_zpshuauhg4p.jpg~original

Ardley%20cemetary-0708_zpsob5qr5yp.jpg~original

Ardley%20cemetary-0690_zpsr9qxlz68.jpg~original

I like the large amounts of negative space in the first 2, just providing atmosphere. C&C welcome.

I like to shoot in places like that too!

I dig the blue chill rendered here.
For composition #2
For symbolic #3

I think I'm more sinister then you are Toni! ;-)

You're on slippery ground there Toni!

GAUCHE means:
— left, left handed or clumsy or
— the left associated with revolution, change, chaos

You may pick your weapon after you gave an answer.
Or we go for a drink and talk about something else. ;-)

Sinister can also mean to the left (as used in heraldry). I was playing with words, which is possibly a little unfair. ;)

What would you like to drink?

What would you like to drink?

I like very much to drink but I don't drink very much… I'm no drinker
but a serious taster, red wines and whiskey!

In any case, NO BEER!

My previous definition was from French…
just curious what it is in English:

gauche | gōSH |
adjective, lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.

Socially awkward! … in a cemetery?
•••

BTW, how is it in the UK?
…can a man, eventually, marry the sister if his widow?

Last edited:

My previous definition was from French…
just curious what it is in English:

gauche | gōSH |
adjective, lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.

Socially awkward! … in a cemetery?
•••

BTW, how is it in the UK?
…can a man, eventually, marry the sister if his widow?

I can't think of a finer place to be socially awkward than a cemetary, since no-one will complain - I chose the word for the French handedness meaning. As for your question, I have no idea since my wife was an only child!

As for the images, a tad more contrast might enhance the sinister and dark impression of the church. The image needs to be felt as well as seen.

As for the images, a tad more contrast might enhance the sinister and dark impression of the church. The image needs to be felt as well as seen.

I did do quite a bit of juggling with contrast etc. More contrast reduced the mistiness that I'd really tried to keep, ditto dropping shadows down. In many ways I wish I could reduce contrast and alter lighting further to simplify the images down to just shadows and outlines (might try later) that hint at something.

I like the last one Toni, the white glow gives it a very ethereal feel which works well considering the subject.

Back