Are Kood filters any good.

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
I was thinking about buying a filter system. I have been looking at the Cokin P Series, holder etc, and some ND grads, and an ND filter. I presume the P series would be OK for lens sizes 52 to 77.

I see the Kood ones going at a relatively cheap price compared to the Cokin, but I wonder whether they are worth buying. I can't afford to spend mega money on Lee filters as I have been rather extravagant lately with my new lenses. Any advice welcome please.

I have the kood CPL and a couple of ND grads and I've not had any issues with them tbh, i got the whole kit inc holder and a couple of rings for about £30.00.

Barbara,

My personal opinion is that Cokin's are the minimum that you should aim for....the P-series being the ones as you stated.

Try 7dayshop for good prices as the filters will come in under the VAT threshold although they will be delivered individually to comply with this.

Bob

It would also be worth looking at Hitech filters. I have seen some good reports on here regarding these. They fit into the Cokin P filter holder, are not much more expensive £40 for three ND Grads and apparently do not suffer from the colour tinting reportedwith the Coking filters.

These can be picked up from http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=258. I have ordered a set, but haven't arrived yet, but certainly more affordable than Lee filters.

For ND grads I'd recommend Hitech over Cokin. They're not that much more expensive and I found the results far superior.
I think I got a set of three for £30 + vat and postage from here. One of the sizes fits into the cokin p system, :thinking: the 85mm I think but that needs double checking.

For ND grads I'd recommend Hitech over Cokin. They're not that much more expensive and I found the results far superior.
I think I got a set of three for £30 + vat and postage from here. One of the sizes fits into the cokin p system, :thinking: the 85mm I think but that needs double checking.

It is 85mm you need for the Cokin P holder.

I use Kood ND grads - not got anything bad to say about them :) I will be getting more as well...

Thank you everbody for all the useful information. Thats given me a lot to think about. One more question. I see that there are 2 types of P holders. A normal one and a wide angle one. Would the wide angle one work with all my lenses from my 10-20 which is 77mm filter size, the 105mm macro which is 58mm filter size, and my 50mm and 24mm prime which are 52mm. I realise that I also have to buy the Adapter rings, but just unsure whether I need the two types of holder.

Thank you everbody for all the useful information. Thats given me a lot to think about. One more question. I see that there are 2 types of P holders. A normal one and a wide angle one. Would the wide angle one work with all my lenses from my 10-20 which is 77mm filter size, the 105mm macro which is 58mm filter size, and my 50mm and 24mm prime which are 52mm. I realise that I also have to buy the Adapter rings, but just unsure whether I need the two types of holder.

I'm only answering this from my own reseach, so somebody who has used it in anger may have a different opinion. As far as I am aware the wide angle should not cause any vignetting on the 10-20, but it only holds one filter. While the normal holder does cause some problems at less than 11mm, it can hold 3 filters.

I am in the same boat as you, i have a 10-20 and a 28-105, but I just went for the normal holder, as having to work at above 11mm on the 10-20 would not be that big of an issue, but I have the extra flexibiliby. And besides if it does cause a problem, I would buy the wide angle holder later as they are only £7 from 7dayshop.

I have also seen that alot of people just use blue tack to avoid the vignetting issue, but maybe not.

I'm sorry my filters haven't arrived yet as could have given you a more definitive answer. But if my Hitechs come next week, I will let you know how they are.

There are adapter rings for the P series from 48mm to 82mm so the wide angle holder will work with all your lenses.
The normal holder can hold two filters but at wider focal lengths the edges of the holder become visible in the frame, the wide angle holder only holds one filter to prevent this happening.

Barbara, I have quite a few screw on type filters and my koods are excellent and to be honest I can't tell the difference between my hoya, kood, jessops or B+W filters. I am now just replacing damage and buying new types made by kood because the difference like I say is pretty minimal and the price is good. ;)

I'm only answering this from my own reseach, so somebody who has used it in anger may have a different opinion. As far as I am aware the wide angle should not cause any vignetting on the 10-20, but it only holds one filter. While the normal holder does cause some problems at less than 11mm, it can hold 3 filters.

I am in the same boat as you, i have a 10-20 and a 28-105, but I just went for the normal holder, as having to work at above 11mm on the 10-20 would not be that big of an issue, but I have the extra flexibiliby. And besides if it does cause a problem, I would buy the wide angle holder later as they are only £7 from 7dayshop.

I have also seen that alot of people just use blue tack to avoid the vignetting issue, but maybe not.

I'm sorry my filters haven't arrived yet as could have given you a more definitive answer. But if my Hitechs come next week, I will let you know how they are.

I think that I will probably do the same. Will the Hitech filters fit into the P series holder OK as I see the following on the Teamwork Digital website "*May not fit in some newer Cokin holders - please check before purchase."

There are adapter rings for the P series from 48mm to 82mm so the wide angle holder will work with all your lenses.
The normal holder can hold two filters but at wider focal lengths the edges of the holder become visible in the frame, the wide angle holder only holds one filter to prevent this happening.

Thank you Benroy.

I've been watching this thread with interest, as I'm looking to get a set of ND grads & held back because of the Cokin tinge problem. I will now get myself a set of Hitech ND grads - thanks for all the info guys & HWG for starting the thread (y)

I've been watching this thread with interest, as I'm looking to get a set of ND grads & held back because of the Cokin tinge problem. I will now get myself a set of Hitech ND grads - thanks for all the info guys & HWG for starting the thread (y)

I've just found this thread with good prices for the filter holders and rings. http://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/shop/index.php I don't know if anyone has experience of whether this company are any good. I will probably buy the Kood or Cokin holders from there, and then get the Hitech ND grads after checking they will fit the holders.

Hi see this i think there great for the price and if they get scratched they have protected your expensive len's and not hurt your pocket as far a replacing the filter kood filters

Regards Mark.

I've just found this thread with good prices for the filter holders and rings. http://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/shop/index.php I don't know if anyone has experience of whether this company are any good. I will probably buy the Kood or Cokin holders from there, and then get the Hitech ND grads after checking they will fit the holders.

I will let you know if they fit when mines come.

7dayshop is cheaper than cooked image for the adaptors and rings, even taking off the free postage. Also if you tend to buy magazinses, Digital SLR Photography are offering a Cokin set with a sunset filter for an anuual subscription.

Crooked Imaging are top notch,I've bought quite a few bits n bobs from them (y)

I'd go for:

Hightech
Kood
Cokin in that order.

I suppose Lee should be top, but they charge silly money for a bit of see through plastic really.

Here are the latest results of my research of cost versus quality.

Cokin, holder, 52, 58 and 77 ring from Crooked Imaging Total £32.46
----------do---------------------7 day Shop , Total £27.41

Kood holder,
52,58 and 77 ring from Crooked Imaging Total £15.96
------------do-------------------7 day shop, Total £16.91

Does anyone know if the Cokin holders in anyway superior to the Kood holders to justify me spending an extra £11.45.

Hi see this i think there great for the price and if they get scratched they have protected your expensive len's and not hurt your pocket as far a replacing the filter kood filters

Regards Mark.

Thank you for the link Mark.

I will let you know if they fit when mines come.

7dayshop is cheaper than cooked image for the adaptors and rings, even taking off the free postage. Also if you tend to buy magazinses, Digital SLR Photography are offering a Cokin set with a sunset filter for an anuual subscription.
Thank you PDB. I would be grateful if you could let me know. I've looked at the mag subscription but it doesn't say whether it's the A or the P size, so I think I'll stick to buying one.

Crooked Imaging are top notch,I've bought quite a few bits n bobs from them (y)

Thank you for your recommendation.

I'd go for:

Hightech
Kood
Cokin in that order.

I suppose Lee should be top, but they charge silly money for a bit of see through plastic really.

Thank you Puddleduck. Have you any experience of holder quality. Please see the previous post.

Thank you Puddleduck. Have you any experience of holder quality. Please see the previous post.

Hi

I've got a Cokin wide angle holder, and a Kood standard "p" fit one (which holds more than one filter) and frankly I'd go for the cheapest one you can find :)

Hi

I've got a Cokin wide angle holder, and a Kood standard "p" fit one (which holds more than one filter) and frankly I'd go for the cheapest one you can find :)
Thanks PD, its the Kood one first then.

I think Cokin are the only one who do a wide-angle holder, otherwise I'd have bought a "copy" one...

Thanks FIP
and the Cokin wide angle next.

there are plenty of cokin holders on e-bay the p series filters are 82mm @ the widest point, so the holder should be 83.5 mm across to hold them as some from china are smaller or larger, mass produced rubbish...

regards Mark

Barbara, I have quite a few screw on type filters and my koods are excellent and to be honest I can't tell the difference between my hoya, kood, jessops or B+W filters. I am now just replacing damage and buying new types made by kood because the difference like I say is pretty minimal and the price is good. ;)

Thank you for the information Alby, I'm sorry I missed your post earlier. It's going to be Koods for me now. Just got to get my credit card out again.(y)

I cut down a normal Cokin holder to make a wide angle holder for my Sigma 10-20 - I think the standard ones are cheaper?

there are plenty of cokin holders on e-bay the p series filters are 82mm @ the widest point, so the holder should be 83.5 mm across to hold them as some from china are smaller or larger, mass produced rubbish...

regards Mark

Thank you both.

Hello Barbara

It would be worth looking at eBay, I picked up my holder + a 72mm adaptor ring for £4, and in a seperate bid I picked up a 77mm adaptor for £3.50. So some bargains to be had.

The Kood filters can also be picked up cheap on 7dayshop (god you would think I worked for them or something). Anyway good luck with the purchase, we can share and compare results, when mine finally arrive.

It may be too late, but I don't find filter holders necessary. Just more faff if you ask me!

Use ordinary screw-in polarisers, and hand hold your grey grad's against the front rim of the lens when you're ready to take the pic.

It's easy enough on a tripod, and possible when hand held with a little practice.:)

Hello Barbara

It would be worth looking at eBay, I picked up my holder + a 72mm adaptor ring for £4, and in a seperate bid I picked up a 77mm adaptor for £3.50. So some bargains to be had.

The Kood filters can also be picked up cheap on 7dayshop (god you would think I worked for them or something). Anyway good luck with the purchase, we can share and compare results, when mine finally arrive.
Thanks Peter. I've decided to order from Crooked Imaging, and they have free delivery. Their prices seem good, £3.99 for holder, and £3.99 for each of the 3 adaptors that I need. I'm going to try one of the Kood ND4 grads to see what they are like as they are only £6.25, so not a major disaster if I don't like it.

It may be too late, but I don't find filter holders necessary. Just more faff if you ask me!

Use ordinary screw-in polarisers, and hand hold your grey grad's against the front rim of the lens when you're ready to take the pic.

It's easy enough on a tripod, and possible when hand held with a little practice.:)

Thanks Jerry. I did think of that, but I generally shoot hand held as I find my 190XB Pro tripod too heavy to carry around, when shooting landscapes. I think it would be quite hard to steady the lens enough whilst holding the grad in that hand.

What a cracker of a 1st post from a newbie :LOL:

Back