Are Roe Deer creatures of habit?

Edit My Images
No
The reason I ask the question was that on our walk this evening I spotted some Jackdaws working a meadow/field, so my attention was taken to watch the birds.

However, I spotted some movement at the tree/hedge line and as far as I could tell it was a Roe Deer. No camera, nor on this occasion even my binoculars :(

It, or shall I now say she, came slowly into the field to browse a bit but was it seemed being annoyed by the bugs.....so she upped the pace a couple of times and disappeared ' stage right' in that sides tree/hedge line.

Now to the question I asked.....what is the likelihood that she frequents the same route, everyday or intermittently???

PS @Stuart Philpott Stu, seeing your post about the Roe I thought I would tag you here for any insights about the behaviour, as my question above :thinking: :D :ty:

Last edited:
I find, they can be, not too the exact minute or so, but often, if i wait long enough, they appear at the same spots.

I can only comment on the Roe deer I have that track through my woodland, as they move from one area to another. {my woodland sits in the middle).
They do follow the same tracks for the most part. The male especially has 'set' times where he moves through the woods[every couple of hours]. And the females with young tend to move through early mornings and early afternoon [and at night].

I can confirm- during my spell ( 15 years) as a Gamekeeper, I could virtually set my watch with a Roe Buck being on a certain pasture every morning during the Summer months whilst feeding on their prefered food - they do follow established Game Trails within woodland and even open terrain

Sense of smell is good- their eyesight is mostly for motion in my experience- sit down and be quiet - may get the shots you want

like this- I sat and waited on a Game Trail - he saw me :)

eBK4IMF.jpg

Good luck fella

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local Muntjacs have a 'treat' visit at the same time most days!:)

Buddy sorry slow . As to your Q yup :ROFLMAO: :exit: I'm no expert mate I just love them to bits and adore trying to make images of them I'd love to help you in any way possible if I can?

If you find the place where they lie up doze ruminate, there is every possibility you will see it there again. if you go back Really work out what the wind direction will be at your site.. So your approach gives no scent and the wind helps with time of day and light. for your images

You want to be aware of them before they are you so you approach with scent in mind and slower than a snail going backwards,:ROFLMAO:step look look look step ponderously slow so your eyes have chance to scan every nook and you see them first. .

With you looking to build on a first sighting I think covering the ground same time of day ,very slowly will give you the most info . to build upon, Get the wind right !!:)

Laurence all the luck they are an enchanting subject, wind right, painfully slow drab colours I cover face and hands :banghead: Look hard ..they are all but bright orange right now but the grasses hide them this time of year

Back