Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes
arch_5.jpg

the end of the voyage...salford docks to liverpool via the msc

Good capture and cool rendition, Geof!

Would it have been possible to have taken this 4 or 5 steps
to your right so to free the main building at the left?

Nick, I think he got the most interesting shot, the main building is the Royal Liver Building, and is probably recognised more than any other building all over the world, especially by us seafarers, it is an icon of Liverpool waterfront, the second to the left is the Cunard Building, again another icon of Liverpool Waterfront.

Andy

Nick, I think he got the most interesting shot, the main building is the Royal Liver Building, and is probably recognised more than any other building all over the world, especially by us seafarers, it is an icon of Liverpool waterfront, the second to the left is the Cunard Building, again another icon of Liverpool Waterfront.

Andy

just a little end to your good comment above...i sailed the atlantic from liverpool on a cunarder...the franconia
my other trips were from southampton on the queen mary, the ss united states and finally
my return trips were on the ss united states, mauretania, and the italia..which was full of germans
we docked twice at le havre, once taking on people at cobh, and once touched halifax nova scotia but mainly straight to new york
so by the time i was 13 i had done the atlantic crossing 6 times...and WNA got my gut going...!!!
i worked in the shipyards as an apprentice marine fitter but never went to sea...left the yard and went to work with the coal board
all in the distant past..
what did you sail? most ships we worked on were big diesels with a few isle of man jobs...and one turbine...a city boat
cheers
geof

glug,,i was on deck then...a bit risky but it would had maybe helped to clone it out
cheers

thats one of the best shots I've seen of the Liver birds for a while

just a little end to your good comment above...i sailed the atlantic from liverpool on a cunarder...the franconia
my other trips were from southampton on the queen mary, the ss united states and finally
my return trips were on the ss united states, mauretania, and the italia..which was full of germans
we docked twice at le havre, once taking on people at cobh, and once touched halifax nova scotia but mainly straight to new york
so by the time i was 13 i had done the atlantic crossing 6 times...and WNA got my gut going...!!!
i worked in the shipyards as an apprentice marine fitter but never went to sea...left the yard and went to work with the coal board
all in the distant past..
what did you sail? most ships we worked on were big diesels with a few isle of man jobs...and one turbine...a city boat
cheers
geof
Hi Geoff, I sailed on Manchester Liners, but also used to go on day trips on the ferries when I was a kid in the 60's. Was deep sea all through the 70's and wary 80's

Hi Geoff, I sailed on Manchester Liners, but also used to go on day trips on the ferries when I was a kid in the 60's. Was deep sea all through the 70's and wary 80's

you a deck walla or an engineer
tankers or cargo

when we did repairs on tankers and cargo boats i was really taken with going to sea...the agents used to come round the shipyards to chat up last year apprentices to sea if they wanted to go to sea
i transferred to the drawing office for my last 6 months time...and thought that might be a cleaner job...so i stuck at draughting and got on with that for a career..
glad to speak with you
cheers
geof

sorry i missed the above

were the liners diesel or steam...what routes did you do...far east..
ps
i have a friend who is a chief engineer on the ferries...and has to go back to sea to keep his ticket..his family arent too keen on that

Last edited:
you a deck walla or an engineer
tankers or cargo

when we did repairs on tankers and cargo boats i was really taken with going to sea...the agents used to come round the shipyards to chat up last year apprentices to sea if they wanted to go to sea
i transferred to the drawing office for my last 6 months time...and thought that might be a cleaner job...so i stuck at draughting and got on with that for a career..
glad to speak with you
cheers
geof

sorry i missed the above

were the liners diesel or steam...what routes did you do...far east..
ps
i have a friend who is a chief engineer on the ferries...and has to go back to sea to keep his ticket..his family arent too keen on that

All diesel except the Manchester quest, which was my first ship, she was called Manchester Miller when she was general cargo, a really pretty ship, but the ugliest thing afloat when converted to a container ship. I was a deck walls, started as apprentice, and got as far as second mate before CY Tung took over the Furness Group and laid most of us off.
Mainly Manchester to Montreal , they also had a middy trade which was tied in with Prince Line. Towards the mid and late 70,s they started building ships for charter, and we ended up going all over the world, Far East, Australia all very interesting, and a great life in those days. Nice to chat over the old times.
andy

Last edited:
All diesel except the Manchester quest, which was my first ship, she was called Manchester Miller when she was general cargo, a really pretty ship, but the ugliest thing afloat when converted to a container ship. I was a deck walls, started as apprentice, and got as far as second mate before CY Tung took over the Furness Group and laid most of us off.
Mainly Manchester to Montreal , they also had a middy trade which was tied in with Prince Line. Towards the mid and late 70,s they started building ships for charter, and we ended up going all over the world, Far East, Australia all very interesting, and a great life in those days. Nice to chat over the old times.
andy

a lot of shipping i think has gone down the tubes with the container vessels coming along....no class!!!

most repairs we did on tankers were the big doxford and bw opposed piston two strokes...a few sulzers and a couple of deutz
dirty but easy to fix and we got extra money for going into the crankcase...it was called pistons and liners
the real only steam jobs i had a chance to work on were the triple expansion steam...there was one turbine but we only got to slacken off the casings...the makers men took over then
brilliant chat andy
cheers

Back