Art Deco/Nouveau (an open thread) Streamline, Modernist, Bauhaus too

Hi, the Art Nouveau funeral hall at the cemetery in Frankfurt-Niederrad/D :

L1022735_DxO-z25b-c.jpg

Senate House in London, a bit of Deco.
Architect Charles Holden, finished in 1933 it became the Ministry of Information during WW2 and was where the Keep Calm and Carry On poster was designed.
George Orwell used Senate House as the inspiration for the Ministry of Truth in his book 1984, and it was the exterior of Bertie Wooster's Manhatten apartment in Jeeves and Wooster.
Fujicolour 200
senate.jpg

Last edited:
Another bit of modernism.
The Brunswick Centre in Bloomsbury, started in 1967 and finished in 1972.
Architect - Patrick Hodgkinson.
Jack Nicholson strolled down the plaza and main steps in The Passenger(1975). The steps have gone but the flats are still there.
Fujicolour 200

brunswick.jpg

Jack Nicholson strolled down the plaza and main steps in The Passenger(1975). The steps have gone but the flats are still there.
Fujicolour 200

View attachment 290825

Good shots and good to get some info on the buildings as well

Fujicolour 200

View attachment 290825

I used to go shopping in the Brunswick Centre when my boat was moored up at St Pancras Lock
Fair few years ago now because it was a Safeway supermarket and they are long gone

Hi, Art Nouveau in Mannheim/D: a water-god with his "friend" ... :

L1005295-z50s-c-tp.jpg

Hi, Art Nouveau (the Arts Building of Manchester University, covered by Cristo (? ;) )) :

DSC05228-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

The Isokon Building in London NW3.
Finished in 1934 by engineer Wells Coates it became home for luminaries like Walter Gropius, Marcel Breuer and Lazlo Moholy-Nagy founders of the Bauhaus and Agatha Christie.
In the 1950's Arnold Deutch, a Russian spy recruited the Cambridge Five, Burgess, Maclean, Philby, Blunt and Cairncross from here.
Philip Harben, TV's first celebrity chef used to run the restaurant.
isokon 002.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) art in the park in Wiesbaden-Biebrich/D :

L1023182_DxO-v152-4-c.jpg

Spotted this rather fine building as we drove up the A1 near Peterborough.
Just had to stop and take a few photos, think it was at one time a Ducati showroom.
I was trying for the look of 50's brochures, got a bit to go yet before I crack it

AD 1.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted this rather fine building as we drove up the A1 near Peterborough.
Just had to stop and take a few photos, think it was at one time a Ducati showroom.
I was trying for the look of 50's brochures, got a bit to go yet before I crack it.

Nice shot - it used to be a Little Chef.
Last time I passed by it was a Ducati dealer but judging by the big empty shield it's not any longer?
I imagine it was a fantastic place to roll onto the A1 and lose your licence or life on a test ride before you'd got the hang of an Italian Superbike :eek:

The architect's site has some nice pictures of it through it's history - looks like a labour of love to restore it.

Nice shot - it used to be a Little Chef.
Last time I passed by it was a Ducati dealer but judging by the big empty shield it's not any longer?
I imagine it was a fantastic place to roll onto the A1 and lose your licence or life on a test ride before you'd got the hang of an Italian Superbike :eek:

The architect's site has some nice pictures of it through it's history - looks like a labour of love to restore it.

Thank you, that's really interesting, one of those places I always intended to photograph.
Usually full of cars, but I assume they are working from home during these times.
Now you mention I can recall it being a Little Chef when I travelled northwards to watch the O's

Hi, Art Nouveau (Jugendstil), "modernized" in Ennepetal-Milspe/D :

L1004055_DxO-z18-c.jpg

Back