Art Deco/Nouveau (an open thread) Streamline, Modernist, Bauhaus too

Well, I am not so sure what style it is. Maybe one should call it neo-cubism ... ---:D

Good as anything, very weird inside too, can't really describe the feeling
Would like to go back and get some better interior shots, this gives you an idea though.
cube 2.jpg

Last edited:
There are elements of Art Deco in quite ordinary buildings. I think this detail from the old Sidmouth Post Office (built I believe in the 1930s) qualifies...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130797.JPG

There are elements of Art Deco in quite ordinary buildings. I think this detail from the old Sidmouth Post Office (built I believe in the 1930s) qualifies...

View attachment 254859

Very true Andrew, spotted this above the Halifax Building Society branch in Newark, Notts

DSCF2029 1.jpg

Last edited:
Broadway Cinema in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire.

DSCF2391 1.jpg

Last edited:
This is Arts Et Metiers metro station, Paris. (Its on the Line 11 Platform should you want to visit)
Another not sure what category it fits into, probably best described as vaguely Steampunk
The small porthole type openings also have a miniature scene inside them, fascinating.

DSCF2378 1.jpgDSCF2374 1.jpg

Last edited:
Following on from the metro station thread, here is one of the older Art Nouveau style signs
Think its got bit of a War Of the Worlds thing going on

sign.jpg

Following on from the metro station thread, here is one of the older Art Nouveau style signs
Think its got bit of a War Of the Worlds thing going on

Hi, Art Nouveau was (roughly) from 1900 - 1930. Is the thread open for this, too?

Hi, Art Nouveau was (roughly) from 1900 - 1930. Is the thread open for this, too?

Why not, its very stylish

You seem to travel around taking photo as much or maybe more than me

Last edited:
Why not, its very stylish, lets have "Arts and Crafts" too.
Where I lived in London was right opposite the house of William Morris, its now a museum showcasing his work

You seem to travel around photographing as much or maybe more than me

Wonderful! (y) I do not have much Art Deco, but lots of Art Nouveau (Jugendstil, Sezession). Maybe, you should expand the thread header ... ---

So, let's take a ride (prestissimo) with an Art Nouveau picture, seen at a Art Nouveau exhibition in Wiesbaden ... :

DSC03581-s35-c-tp.jpg

Art Nouveau (like Art Deco) was intended for all artistic disciplines (archtitecture, sculpture, painting, glass, jewellery ...) .

One wanted to achieve a Gesamtkunstwerk - all-pervasive art.

Here we are at de Haan aan Zee tram stop, Belgium, its design gives a foretaste of the buildings found in this coastal town.
Most of the houses are built in an individual Art Nouveau style, its possibly the nicest resort I have ever visited.
Unfortunately my day there was curtailed by a case of "travel tummy" but its on my must revisit list

seaside 1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, as stated above, there is not a single Art Nouveau style. There are varieties, like the one above, using framework, or with this building in Mainz/Germany:

DSC03958-a7-s28c-tp.jpg

This one is from the Zurenborg district of Antwerp, two squares and associated streets with Art Nouveau buildings.

seaside 2.jpg

Another one from Zurenborg, lovely place and served by the number 11 Tram from central Antwerp

Antwerp 3.jpg

Hi, Art Deco in Mainz:

L1019219_DxO-L2824-c-tp.jpg

(We do not have many Art Deco buildings in Germany. I suppose, the 30s depression hit Germany very hard. So, not much building activity then.

And there was (and is) much Art Nouveau, perhaps due to the long period of prosperity after the 1870 Reich foundation.

After WW2, Art Nouvau was not very popular, it was seen as old and "pre-war". Thus, many buildings were "modernized" beyond recognition.)

Eberswalder Straße U-Bahn station, Berlin
Rather fine structure and famous for Konnopke's Currywurst stand under its arches

DSCF2532 1.jpg

This is a rather neglected cinema, shame because it has some fine Art Deco detailing, Cambridge, UK,
Tried hard to capture it, but the street is very narrow so this is my best effort.

seaside 11.jpg

Well tug my beard - I never knew that. ;)

Nor did I until I was called it at a Tram museum in Amsterdam.
Just visited a reopened one in Antwerp, as you may have guessed it's something of a passion for me
Keep those Art Deco photos coming please

Last edited:
Back