As big as it gets

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of shots from around Dubai.

I've seen so many photos taken from the top of the Burj Khalifa looking down onto the city I thought I'd try to get one looking up. Not as easy as I thought as it's not the easiest pf buildings to get a good shot of. This was the best I could do. I like it because it's not your normal view and I like to think it shows thatthere is still construction going on in a city that seems to just keep on growing upwards and outwards.

Burj Khalifa
by Alex, on Flickr

Next up Al Jadaf metro station. Probably one of the most unusual looking stations I've ever seen and in the middle of a huge piece of waste ground. Why anyone would want to go there I haven't a clue.

Al Jadaf
by Alex, on Flickr

The tower rendition is very nice. As for the metro station, how about this

dibaiPP.jpg

I'm sure you could do better with the RAW.

Quite an amazing place, nice shots :)

The tower rendition is very nice. As for the metro station, how about this

I'm sure you could do better with the RAW.

I will be honest I prefer the original, but thank you for giving it a go. It might just be my screen but it looks to overexposed for my liking and has lost some of the detail and sharpness due to a lower resolution.

Alex

I always look forward to what you post next, it's very interesting to see the different aspects of the place, the other images with rickety water taxis to desert with trains etc.
Then these really modern and awesome architecture shots.. :)

I always look forward to what you post next, it's very interesting to see the different aspects of the place, the other images with rickety water taxis to desert with trains etc.
Then these really modern and awesome architecture shots.. :)

That's the thing about the Gulf states, you never know what's around the corner. The contrast between even Dubai and Saudi Arabia is startling at times and yet they have so much in common. Two countries (well Dubai is one of 7 emirates within the UAE) that have the same origins, beliefs and principles and yet are so different in how they have tackled being a modern society.

That's the thing about the Gulf states, you never know what's around the corner. The contrast between even Dubai and Saudi Arabia is startling at times and yet they have so much in common. Two countries (well Dubai is one of 7 emirates within the UAE) that have the same origins, beliefs and principles and yet are so different in how they have tackled being a modern society.

It really is interesting... Keep posting :D

Pics like this get me excited about visiting Dubai, i can't wait to get there and i know 3 nights isn't going to be enough.

Pics like this get me excited about visiting Dubai, i can't wait to get there and i know 3 nights isn't going to be enough.
It's an interesting place, although not a true reflection of the Gulf States. There's plenty to see and visit but you need to do some exploring.

Are you staying at a resort hotel or in Dubai city itself? The Metro is the best way to travel about and very easy to use. Public transport uses a system like Oyster Cards in London. You top them up and can use them on the Metro, trams and buses and it's rediculously cheap. 16 Diram (roughly 3 quid) will be the maximum you use in one day, no matter how many journeys you make. Taxis are good, drivers generally speak good English and know where they are going but obviously they will cost you more to get about.

The Burj Khalifa shares a stop on the red line with the Dubai Mall. If you want to go to the top of the tower book it online at least two weeks in advance and you should be able to get an early evening slot and catch the sunset and the city lit up below. The Dubai Mall is worth a visit just to keep the other half happy. It's the biggest in the world with a food hall that you can get lost in. The waterfall inside the mall is worth going to see. If you exit the station onto street level you can walk up to the tower but it's a little walk. You can also see the Dubai fountain display as well.

To get to the river it's probably best to go to Al Ghubaiba on the green line. You come out between the Abra dock (the small river taxis that are a bundle of laughs) and the diving village, also worth a visit. Spend 20 quid and you can hire an Abra all to yourself for an hour and do some sightseeing up and down the river for an hour.

Mall of the Emirates is also worth a mention as it's the one with the indoor ski slope and a cheesecake shop to die for.

Yeah, i've done my research on Dubai, i have to maximise my time there, going to do dubai mall / Khalifa and fountains on one day, visit the palm and Dubai marina on the next day, and Jumeirah on an evening, probalbty the 1st evening. I'd like to try and get a visit to Ski dubai in too, and the gold souks but don't know where. So much to see / do in so ,little time

Back