Ash & Kayla Wedding

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
A few from last Thursday at Thornton Manor - Reminded me of why I usually don't do friends weddings, always that added pressure to deliver...

Ash-Kayla0003.jpg

Ash-Kayla0006.jpg

Ash-Kayla0008.jpg

Ash-Kayla0011.jpg

Ash-Kayla0015.jpg

Ash-Kayla0016.jpg

Ash-Kayla0017.jpg

Ash-Kayla0022.jpg

Nice set. Have you considered a closer crop on number 14? I think the Bride, the 2 people behind her and the Champagne bucket without the groom or the 2 stood up would be a nice shot. The Father of the Bride has his eyes shut too on number 12.

Last edited:
OK, very much FWIW ...

#1 Nice enough but no context. Who is she, what's going on, what's she smiling about?

#2 Well seen, but that's not enough to make it a great picture

#3 Gosh, I've tried the very same picture no end of times and often had the same problem. IMO this works better if you lose half the wall to the left of the bride, but then you'd lose your aspect ratio. Couldn't you have framed it a bit more to the right?

#4 Nice. If the window won't go down any further than that, it's always worth taking this shot then opening the door and getting another through the "vee" formed by the central door pillar and the edge of the open door.

#5 Nice enough, but I'd crop in a bit to lose the folk on the right and I'd also zap that blob on the door to the right of the guest who's gone to his happy place.

#6 I wonder why you shot from there when you were bound to get the naff background and the bored best man? Whatever, that's an awesome head of hair that registrar has.

#7 Nice.

#8 I trust that you gave yourself a slap when you saw how you chopped off their feet?

#9 I'd have been happy with that despite having framed it just a bit too high (if that's all the foreground)

Can't usefully comment on the next two, but for

#12 I reckon you were too far away and too high up. The FOB will always look down at his daughter while he's doing his speech, so you need to be low enough to avoid the problem you've got here.

#13 You were in the wrong place for that one. It's always worthwhile removing anything on the top table that's going to bugger up your shots of the main players during the speeches before they kick off e.g. that table name that's blocked the bride's face in this shot.

#14 Nice. Very well caught.

And I can't comment on the rest of 'em 'cos I was never into doing that sort of thing.

ETA - just took a squint at your blog, and considering what it looks like you had to go at with that wedding, that's a nice set of snaps :)

Last edited:
Oh believe me, this and also getting horizons going through heads are two things that I'm trying my best NOT to do any more.

Perhaps I should actually start slapping myself.

:D I used to be famous for doing exactly the same things. And chopping the very top off the arch of church doorways.

I got an amazing amount of flak from my missus about that ...

Last edited:
Ooh.. #19. Spectacular. Other compositions may have worked better to some ways of thinking - for instance landscape including the whole of their shadows and / or reflections - but I love it as it is.

One observation.. you seem to have a slight tendency to position things too near the bottom of the frame (or centrally, it amounts to the same thing). I only noticed 'cos I do it too.

Overall I think the couple will like these :) A few observations...

1) I don't think it's sharp. Although I know flickr blah blah...

3) Don't like the background at all. I guess you used it for the shade...?

8) I think the feet have been mentioned but worse for me is what the groom is doing with his hands.

9) Cracker but I don't think it needs that much empty space above her.

14) She's laughing at something (I assume) the speaker has said. But they are almost forgotten in the very top corner. I'd crop it tighter or wider.

15) Why? Did you really need to knock the ambient light down so much?

I would also add that the groom really does look like an afterthought in these pictures. And the ones he's in don't really do him justice. Whilst I realise the wedding is all about the bride HIS family won't see it that way.

I really like these. Too many for me to comment on individually and as someone who is trying to find his own way, not in a position to give detailed critique but overall I think they are really very good.

Back