Ashness Jetty This Morning

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Just got back from an overnight stay in The Lakes. Some fantastic sunny weather and unusually calm conditions on Derwent Water this morning.

5D MKII
Tamron 17-35 @ 17mm
Haida 3 Stop Filter (to give a nice clear foreground)
Hitech .6 Soft Grad
f18
1.6 Seconds

As always, any comments/crit are more than welcome.

Jetty by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Gorgeous. Soft (the scene not the image) and tranquil.
I'm wondering though about the small rock on the right.
Because it's not as clearly visible as the one nearer the jetty, I'm not sure about it. It seems maybe more of a distraction than part of the scene.
Not sure I'm making sense....maybe it's just me! :LOL:

Anyway...it's a very pretty image :)

Nice to see the jetty shot from the side rather than along its length and with the background clearly visible rather than lost in the mist! Not that one shouldn't shoot clichés, just that so many of the same shot (bar the date stamp) being shared these days...

Because it's not as clearly visible as the one nearer the jetty, I'm not sure about it. It seems maybe more of a distraction than part of the scene.

Ruth, it's not just you - lots of Mrs Nod's students have problems with their left and right as well!!!

Ruth, it's not just you - lots of Mrs Nod's students have problems with their left and right as well!!!

It's very common.
You know what I meant though :p

Nice to see the jetty shot from the side rather than along its length and with the background clearly visible rather than lost in the mist! Not that one shouldn't shoot clichés, just that so many of the same shot (bar the date stamp) being shared these days...

It's very common.

Thanks Ruth/Nod,

Thought I'd try a different composition to the ones I've tried previously, I scouted about for a little while then the water settled to show the reflections and that kinda made my mind up for me.

Re the left/right rock :) I think you're right, it does distract a bit, I'll probably clone that out on the original file.

It's a nice picture but doesn't have the interest of your other photos especially the ones with water. I feel it's missing something, but not sure what, perhaps I'm just missing the point that this is a photo of emptyness and tranquility and this is exactly what you wanted to show?

It's a nice picture but doesn't have the interest of your other photos especially the ones with water. I feel it's missing something, but not sure what, perhaps I'm just missing the point that this is a photo of emptyness and tranquility and this is exactly what you wanted to show?

Cheers Derek,

Yeah it was a really quiet tranquil morning and that's kinda what I was going for - not minimalistic, just calm.

I've got some waterfall shots from Patterdale to add once they're edited - bit more drama in them ;)

That's what I thought having looked at the others. Not every picture needs drama to be enjoyed!

Really like this Danny, lovely colours and reflections give this such a nice tranquil mood.

@viv1969 Searched and searched for the rock on the right ;)

Another comedian :LOL:

Strictly speaking there are at least 5 rocks on the right......But then, you know that :)

It's very common.

I know you know I know... If I was going to make it up to BaconButtyFest 2015, I wouldn't have dared point it out! [/banter!]

It's a difficult call, Danny - if you take the rock out, it leaves a huge dead area but the rock being there is undeniably a distraction and does nothing other than stop the area being completely empty.
A quick play with a sheet of paper and a little imagination shows that cropping so the diagonal of the reflection of the jetty comes out of the bottom right of the frame and then removing the rock on the left works but that's IMO!

I know you know I know... If I was going to make it up to BaconButtyFest 2015, I wouldn't have dared point it out! [/banter!]

It's a difficult call, Danny - if you take the rock out, it leaves a huge dead area but the rock being there is undeniably a distraction and does nothing other than stop the area being completely empty.
A quick play with a sheet of paper and a little imagination shows that cropping so the diagonal of the reflection of the jetty comes out of the bottom right of the frame and then removing the rock on the left works but that's IMO!

Thanks Nod - I tried that crop in an even more crude manner using my thumb across my phone screen and I can definitely see benefits to that crop - although I like the reflection of the closest post and that would be lost. Think I'll clone out the infamous left/right rock :)

The relfections are very nice, good calm and serene feeling - does feel like the sky is darker than the water/reflection which does feel a little unnatural.

The relfections are very nice, good calm and serene feeling - does feel like the sky is darker than the water/reflection which does feel a little unnatural.

Cheers Stu. Yeah I've probably over-gradded the sky again, I do it so often without realising that it's becoming a bit of an unwanted trademark! :)

Really like this photo, as said above "really tranquil, calm with superb reflections" could easily be someone's happy place :)

Interestingly until I read the comments about the rocks, I thought they just added to the natural feel of the scene - however, if anything the dry portion of the rock above water on the right near to the jetty 'could' have been less noticeable if the top surface had been wetted ?

But I would be extremely happy to display this exactly as is. Thanks for posting.

Back