Assynt Sunset from Stac Pollaidh

Very nice, and agree, it has to be one of if not the best view in the UK and it's made relatively easily compared to other lung busting views.

Thanks Scott, it felt like a stroll down the garden compared with Suilven, which we did the following day. I’m curious as to the view from some of the other peaks around there, so definitely reason to return. It’s a very accessible point to shoot from as you say, even if it does look daunting from below.

Magic Matt :)

Cheers dude

Excellent photo; I especially like the small clump of grass between the sandstone in the very foreground. Great viewpoint, but I prefer the view north from Sgurr an Fhidleir, which has Stac Pollaidh in it.....

Cracker of a shot Matty and brilliant warm light as well. I was just scanning an old photo of when I was up the top many years ago, but tragically with low cloud and nothing like this for a vista!

Indeed that is a fantastic view well worth the hike and scramble Matt, maybe a little clone out of that lump growth middle frame between the two rock formations LHS that is not being caught by the light however the setting sun is touching that plant/growth, minor I know but it just keeps catching the eye, many thanks for sharing
Regards
Kevin

It certainly is an amazing view and very well executed for sure

Thanks very much, lucky to get a splash of decent light while I was up there!

Excellent photo; I especially like the small clump of grass between the sandstone in the very foreground. Great viewpoint, but I prefer the view north from Sgurr an Fhidleir, which has Stac Pollaidh in it.....

The fiddler is next on my list when I head back up that way. It looks to throw up a really good overview of the area from there, so I'd be excited to see it!

Cracker of a shot Matty and brilliant warm light as well. I was just scanning an old photo of when I was up the top many years ago, but tragically with low cloud and nothing like this for a vista!

Thanks Peter, We got really lucky with the weather, only an hour before this, all the tops were covered with hill fog, and there wouldn't have been a view at all.

Indeed that is a fantastic view well worth the hike and scramble Matt, maybe a little clone out of that lump growth middle frame between the two rock formations LHS that is not being caught by the light however the setting sun is touching that plant/growth, minor I know but it just keeps catching the eye, many thanks for sharing
Regards
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, you mean the reddish coloured clump? I had considered that, but thought I would probably just make a mess of it if I started cloning stuff out! Its a great little scramble up onto the top, far and away the highlight of the trip!

And yet two thirds of your picture is taken up by two huge lumps of rock in the foreground. Why?

To show the balance of the shadow and golden light, to use the smooth curves of the sandstone to act as a lead in to the image, to showcase a little detail of the rock formations on Stac Pollaidh, to shorten the distance to the Lochs and hills at the back of frame without including the less photogenic moorland below that wasn't catching the light, to compose a photograph by trying to fill the frame with interest, to make more use of the golden light from the setting sun, rather than just rely on the slight glancing blow of light on the peaks in the distance?

'To show the balance of the shadow and golden light, to use the smooth curves of the sandstone to act as a lead in to the image, to showcase a little detail of the rock formations on Stac Pollaidh, to shorten the distance to the Lochs and hills at the back of frame without including the less photogenic moorland below that wasn't catching the light, to compose a photograph by trying to fill the frame with interest, to make more use of the golden light from the setting sun, rather than just rely on the slight glancing blow of light on the peaks in the distance? '

Agree 150% !

Very nice, lovely soft light and the rocks work for me! A nice leading into to that spectacular backdrop.

I just looked back at my library and realised it's 5 years since I went up there, I really need to make another trip to this area one day. I didn't have a courage to make the extra climb to the very top which I think you did, next time!

What a fabulous vista from there. Great reward for perseverance and planning Matt.

Back