At last!

Finally, 19 months after the operation and 9 months after putting the application in, the DVLA have finally given me my license back!
Nice one Nod (y)

yep , 3 months in a rigid should cast for a snapped collar bone converted me from biker to cager - just as well really as the next crash I was involved in (when some prick pulled out of a side road when I was 15 yards away travelling at 70mph) would have been fatal on a bike , it didn't do my car much good either, but at least I walked away from it bar a sprained wrist and some minor wiplash

Smart move.

yep , 3 months in a rigid should cast for a snapped collar bone converted me from biker to cager - just as well really as the next crash I was involved in (when some prick pulled out of a side road when I was 15 yards away travelling at 70mph) would have been fatal on a bike , it didn't do my car much good either, but at least I walked away from it bar a sprained wrist and some minor wiplash

ahh buggery , that was supposed to be a post edit not a quote :banghead: (still its not as bad as the time I inadvertently posted an RTM )

Last edited:
Three months in a cast for a broken collar bone is extreme!!

It was more smashed than broken, its got internal pins and allsorts - I went over the handle bars and but my hands out - bang , still looking on the bright side the collar bone is there to take the shock n your arms and stop it being transmitted to your neck/spine so its probably just as well

yep , 3 months in a rigid should cast for a snapped collar bone converted me from biker to cager -
Pussy :p
It never stopped me riding, after ripping out the nerves from the base of my skull,
that trigger my left arm.
(Brachial plexus injury)

Some nerves grew back some didn't.

Some pillock pulled across the road in front of me,
while I was doing the legal limit.
On a rather nice 750 F1.
(Well it was a nice bike :( )

2.5 years off work, and not a single broken bone.
And pain like you would not believe.

Even after all these years, the pain still kicks off now and again,

but thanks to the amazing Physio, that I received,
They managed to "retrain" some of the muscles
to act like the dead one or two.

Now where did I put my fire blade again?

It's that smashed wreckage trapped under some pillock's transit van

I'm popping down to Plymouth / Truro next month, I was going to drive but maybe I should have a look at the trains... :runaway:

Ps. DVLA / NHS is a pain (30 odd years as type 1 diabetic)

I'm popping down to Plymouth / Truro next month, I was going to drive but maybe I should have a look at the trains... :runaway:

Ps. DVLA / NHS is a pain (30 odd years as type 1 diabetic)

Given the residents I'd definitely say train.

Or Wales :)

Nah whales are crap as a transport option

Much congratulations from me also. :) All you need now is a half decent summer to get the most out of your renewed status as a driver.

Last edited:
Well, 30+ years on 2 wheels with no problems so far! Current bike choice was made to some extent on lack of performance combined with relatively modern brakes.

You couldn't make it up! This morning a letter from the Medical f@<#wits at the DVLA dropped through the door telling me that I was now considered fit to drive and if I don't receive my license within 14 days to contact them! Erm... The license issuing department managed to get the thing to me on Monday (BTW, thanks for sending it second class...)

Never mind, the wait is over and life can start getting back to normal.

@archangel, sorry I missed your post about your stroke - hope you're back to full fitness and never have to deal with the medical department again. I'm led to understand that after an intra cranial incident, whether surgical or a bleed carries a risk of causing fits which is why they remove the privilege. Quite how they decide that suddenly someone is fit to drive again is beyond me entirely - I haven't seen a doctor of any sort about my head for well over a year and have been off the Phenytoin for as long (with [obviously] no ill effects).

Adam, I have a feeling Pete's Mum lives up there somewhere and that he's coming up for the extravaganza (as am I) so beware! BTW, fourteen?

@archangel, sorry I missed your post about your stroke - hope you're back to full fitness and never have to deal with the medical department again. I'm led to understand that after an intra cranial incident, whether surgical or a bleed carries a risk of causing fits which is why they remove the privilege. ?

I got the car licence back but I offered to surrender the truck and bus licences to appease them... :D

Dozy bleeders originally demanded that I filled in the extra forms for truck and bus drivers because when I passed my test it allowed me to drive smaller trucks (?up to 7.7tonnes?) and minibuses. When I phoned to query this, they told me it was unnecessary and that I needn't have the medical examination required by the forms. Maybe if I had had the examination wheels would have been in faster motion? Still got the same entitlements I had before everything.

Nod, appologies me old mucker, I seemed to have missed the first page and thought this was petes thread, even though I was thinking of your brain when I read the title...

So a very fat congrats to you, yes indeed, which is what i wanted to say before pete took over.... ffs Pete, tis all your fault im sure. ;)

So very pleased for you. :clap: :) ...Ah the wind in your hair, flies in the teeth, a wasp down the jacket, oh happy days. Oh and ride carefully mate, them cage drivers are less observant than ever to be sure!

Dont know what you're on about a fourteen.

Do you mean Twelve.

Last edited:
Adam, I have a feeling Pete's Mum lives up there somewhere and that he's coming up for the extravaganza (as am I) so beware! BTW, fourteen?

I'm not coming to the extravaganza now , chris couldn't guarantee me protection from the hordes of swooning females so i had to decline (also I'm on holiday in northumberland that week)

two hundred and eighty three

Last edited:
Possibly eleven, Adam - twigged!

Back