Captive Atlantic Sea Nettle Jellyfish

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, I took this over at The Deep, in Hull.

I really like the shot itself, however i know it needs more PP, i just don't know what! Any help you guys can give me would be brilliant. Let me know what you think.

C&C very much welcomed.

Atlantic Sea Nettle Jellyfish by K Stanley, on Flickr

Nice, it looks like it has storm clouds inside it.

Not very experienced with PP, but had a small play with the curves adjustment and a slightly tighter crop. I'm not on a very good monitor but I noticed you shot at ISO6400 and it does look a bit noisy to me so you might be able to do something to clean that up a bit.

21087294149_1781bf29c5_k edited.jpg

I like the "floating in darkness" look so I didn't crop too much. Just a little clarity, exposure, teensiest bit of saturation, and noise reduction.

Jellyfish edit-1.jpg

Nice, it looks like it has storm clouds inside it.

Not very experienced with PP, but had a small play with the curves adjustment and a slightly tighter crop. I'm not on a very good monitor but I noticed you shot at ISO6400 and it does look a bit noisy to me so you might be able to do something to clean that up a bit.

View attachment 46043

Thanks Steve, I'm not very experienced with PP either, after i got the above result, everything i seemed to do just "messed" the photo up so always reverted back to that, i just couldn't really do any more with it. Unfortunately it was ridiculously dark there, and no flash was allowed, i had kids in front of me bashing my camera out of the way (literally), so i had to go for a fast shutter speed to try and get some shots before i was barged out of the way again, hence the 6400ISO.

I like the "floating in darkness" look so I didn't crop too much. Just a little clarity, exposure, teensiest bit of saturation, and noise reduction.

View attachment 46045

Thanks Samuel, I prefer your crop on the image, and it all just seems a little cleaner. After I took a break from the image, i noticed how dark it was, so i had intended to bump it up a little, but I ended up putting windows 10 on my laptop, and haven't got round to installing lightroom and photoshop back on, so I've not been able to do anything with it at all. Can i ask, what program did you use to alter the image?

Do you have a prefered program?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks Samuel, I prefer your crop on the image, and it all just seems a little cleaner. After I took a break from the image, i noticed how dark it was, so i had intended to bump it up a little, but I ended up putting windows 10 on my laptop, and haven't got round to installing lightroom and photoshop back on, so I've not been able to do anything with it at all. Can i ask, what program did you use to alter the image?

Do you have a prefered program?

I use lightroom, I don't really bother with the filing system, I prefer to import all my files myself but the editing part of the program is very simple and all I need for PP. If you're into the whole "pixel by pixel" editing then photoshop would be the better choice but for most photographers and myself, LR is great.

I use lightroom, I don't really bother with the filing system, I prefer to import all my files myself but the editing part of the program is very simple and all I need for PP. If you're into the whole "pixel by pixel" editing then photoshop would be the better choice but for most photographers and myself, LR is great.

I use Lightroom for 99.9% of PP, and i also use it for filing (after a few tweaks, it files perfect for me)

I do find photoshop for PP too time consuming, especially if you have a lot of images to alter.

Thank you very much for your help and advice :)

Back