Critique Audi A4 Quattro - First Attempt

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All,

I spent the weekend correcting the paint work on my A4. To cut a long story short the light on Sunday evening was absolutely beautiful so I seized the opportunity and took the car out to get some shots. Out of them all I've come back with the two below, I'd appreciate any and all critique where possible as I'd like to learn more about the subject (I'm into landscape predominantly). Anyway onto the photo's...

Audi A4 Quattro
by James, on Flickr

Audi A4 Quattro Rear
by James, on Flickr

James

the number plate treatment distracts and catches the eye straight away - not sure how you can treat it to avoid that?

the number plate treatment distracts and catches the eye straight away - not sure how you can treat it to avoid that?

I wonder if all 'white' & 'yellow' as appropriate................yes will still look odd but but maybe better than the "lets block the lettering out" ???

PS Other than that I am not a great one for cars in scenic situations ~ but the second one with the sun flare does have a better composition and a tad of drama :)

Last edited:
My first thought was a bit of flash on the car would make it pop. You have picked a great location and then the sun is side on but not lighting up the car from your POV but with a bit of flash you could light it.

It looks very clean or new so good job, the location is also excellent..

I wonder if all 'white' & 'yellow' as appropriate................yes will still look odd but but maybe better than the "lets block the lettering out" ???

PS Other than that I am not a great one for cars in scenic situations ~ but the second one with the sun flare does have a better composition and a tad of drama :)

Agreed or perhaps even removal of them would be better (as in the next time I'm out and about).

My first thought was a bit of flash on the car would make it pop. You have picked a great location and then the sun is side on but not lighting up the car from your POV but with a bit of flash you could light it.

It looks very clean or new so good job, the location is also excellent..

I'll try that next time. I do have a flash that I seldom use - I can probably count its uses on one hand - would you use a modifier of some description or just off camera flash as it is?

James

I think you've done very well. I like the lighting and the line of the road in the second shot leads the eye through the picture. In the first shot you may like to try cropping a bit from the LHS to fouc in more on the car and also clone out the white patches on,the tarmac which I find a touch distracting

Both are spot on but IMO the second shot is more dramatic and has nicer tones.

For the plate I would recommend either getting rid of it completely or (easier) dropping in something like a dealer plate - Audi UK or similar. I wouldn't have used an external light source in this instance to be honest, especially with the car being black.

Thanks all. I haven't been getting updates on my phone hence the late reply (I'm sure Tapatalk used to send them). In relation to the plates, for any further shoots they'll be coming off. It'll be time for a bath and a sunset shoot again now that the weather is breaking.

James

Best thing is to get some show plates made and replace the plates, if not just block them out in original colour (white/yellow).

As for the shots, the first frame is a little close - my preference would be to show the car in more context and also from a slightly higher angle so you can see more of the overall shape of the car than just the front and lower sections being right in your face so much. The paintwork could do with a little more pop and ideally use flash if are familiar with OCF and have the right modifiers and the patience to composite multiple shots.

The 2nd shot being wider is better, but the car is central - perhaps if parked on the other side would have been better. Car again could do with a bit more light to pull the shadows up but its not bad.

Good choice of location/timing/light.

Nice light, but I think you need to change the angle and use a longer lens.. get more of teh side of the car in shot, also sometimes a straight side shot can look great..

Back