August flowers

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
More processed from the backlog. (I've finally cleared out July and August from this year. Only another 9 months to finish off. And 10 months from 2015. And 3 from 2014.)

These were captured with my Panasonic G5 micro four thirds camera, probably hand-held, probably using a mild Canon 500D close-up lens, all using natural light only. The raw files were processed in Silkypix and Lightroom. There are 1300 pixel high versions in this album at Flickr.

1048 03 2016_08_14 P1180118 SP7 LR6 1300h by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1048 07 2016_08_14 P1180149 SP7 LR6 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1048 08 2016_08_14 P1180165 SP7 LR6 1300h

1048 11 2016_08_14 P1180182 SP7 LR6 1300h

1048 14 2016_08_14 P1180205 SP7 LR6 1300h

1048 20 2016_08_14 P1180246 SP7 LR6 1300h

1048 21 2016_08_14 P1180341 SP7 LR6 1300h

1048 23 2016_08_14 P1180355 SP7 LR6 1300h

Nice set. I like the backlighting on number 3, although if l were being critical, l would clone out the stray leaf on the bottom left of the frame.
The dark background of number 5 shows off the detail of the flower beautifully.

Nice set. I like the backlighting on number 3, although if l were being critical, l would clone out the stray leaf on the bottom left of the frame.

The dark background of number 5 shows off the detail of the flower beautifully.

Thanks Pete. It is good and helpful to get detailed feedback.

I can see where you are coming from with #3 and I do sometimes get rid of odd bits and pieces. I can't remember what my thinking was when processing this one, but by the look of it I suspect it was a deliberate decision to leave both the intrusions at the bottom left. I don't know if this will make any sense, but I'm seeing something like this.

1048 08 annotated

Thanks Pete. It is good and helpful to get detailed feedback.

I can see where you are coming from with #3 and I do sometimes get rid of odd bits and pieces. I can't remember what my thinking was when processing this one, but by the look of it I suspect it was a deliberate decision to leave both the intrusions at the bottom left. I don't know if this will make any sense, but I'm seeing something like this.

1048 08 annotated

I find flower and plant photography increasingly frustrating at times. Not only do you have to find a perfect bloom that's been unaffected by wind/frost/rain etc but it's not easy to find a new angle on the subject. Historic gardens/plants/wildflowers are a big interest of mine. I spend time looking at many other phtographer's work on the subject and there's not much out there that is different.

Towards the end of this year I have been playing about with various focus and composition scenarios. I'm half liking what I'm acheiving but am still certain I can do more. I'm now looking forward to the new season in the garden and seeing what it brings.

I find flower and plant photography increasingly frustrating at times. Not only do you have to find a perfect bloom that's been unaffected by wind/frost/rain etc

I'm fortunate in having quite a few flowers that I like in our garden. My wife is a keen gardener, flowers particularly. So I can wander around the garden frequently and catch subjects before they have been ravaged by the weather. (Although sometimes they are damaged as buds of course. That happens a fair amount with our camellias, getting burnt by frost.)

but it's not easy to find a new angle on the subject.

Yes. It tends to be the same subjects over and over again for me. There is a limit to the angles you can use, especially with the same plants in the same place throughout the season and from season to season (although what is around them can change as the season progresses), but I spend a lot of time exploring (sometimes very small) differences in angles, magnification, apertures, amount of under-exposure etc. Sometimes something rather different, or at least appealing to my eye, pops into view. And the changing light - that can make a big difference.

Historic gardens/plants/wildflowers are a big interest of mine.

Ah, I think you are much more knowledgeable about these things than I am. I just photograph what I see. I am very ignorant about what exactly it is I am photographing. My wife tells me the names of things but I rarely remember them.

I spend time looking at many other phtographer's work on the subject and there's not much out there that is different.

Perhaps it is a difficult subject to be very different with? I don't know. My aim/hope is to produce "pretty pictures" (pretty to my eye anyway), especially with flowers (it's a bit different with invertebrates and other subjects, where interest/oddity and similar tend to take priority over prettiness). I'm not really bothered whether they are original or special in any way. I'm easily pleased I think!

Towards the end of this year I have been playing about with various focus and composition scenarios. I'm half liking what I'm acheiving but am still certain I can do more. I'm now looking forward to the new season in the garden and seeing what it brings.

I hope you get good subjects and pleasing results.

Back