Aurora at Kertujoki, Finland.

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I'd had this location in mind for a night shoot at some point. It's one of the only accessible sections of river in the area, so makes a change from the endless snowfields.
I was lucky enough to coincide my trip with a G1, which rained down some great aurora. This was the second burst of aurora that evening, after a considerable amount of sky pulse, which is very rarely seen. It's akin to the sky pulsating, with diffuse patches of aurora fading in and out all over the night sky rapidly, so much so, that it looks as though someone is powderpuffing the sky from above. A real pleasure to witness.

Kertujoki by Matty, on Flickr

… splendid, magical, Matty! (y)(y)(y)

Fantastic, on my bucket list.

… splendid, magical, Matty! (y)(y)(y)
Stunning Matt, saw it on Flickr earlier
:plus1: to all the above. A scene I shall never see for myself so many thanks for sharing.
Lovely capture
Lovely capture
Fantastic, on my bucket list.
It’s ok I guess
cracking picture

Thanks very much folks, it's always nice to see these breaks in the ice and a little flowing water, especially when the aurora performs in the skies above. Appreciate all your comments.

An amazing spectacle, very well captured you lucky so & so ;)

Wow, absolutely gorgeous.

An amazing spectacle, very well captured you lucky so & so ;)

Thanks, I do feel very privileged to witness the spectacle each time I see them!

Wow, absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you very much indeed.

Oh wow thats good. Did you get tempted to capture any video?

Cheers Byker, I do shoot some real time video for work during the weeks on an A7S, my personal stuff is generally all stills, though I have done a bit of time lapse over there too.

Magical shot.

Thanks very much indeed Alan

Cheers Byker, I do shoot some real time video for work during the weeks on an A7S, my personal stuff is generally all stills, though I have done a bit of time lapse over there too.
I was in Iceland about 15 years ago and caught the northern lights of which I have some old 1.2Mp images, but no video. It's on my list to go back again.

I was in Iceland about 15 years ago and caught the northern lights of which I have some old 1.2Mp images, but no video. It's on my list to go back again.

It’s not always the easiest thing to shoot video of, as it can move about pretty sharpish, and so you’ve gotta be quite reactive with regards to framing and composition. It helps if the Bz is keeping the aurora around 30-60 degrees off the northern horizon. The overhead shows and coronas are a nightmare to track haha.
Get yourself back there! Did you see the thing on BBC 2 last night about the aurora?

My partner and I had intended starting to get my new desktop up and running last night but got hooked on Gordon Buchanan's programme about the aurora. So much so that we're starting to think about how to get to see one ourselves, even if it's just in the north of Scotland.

Back