Aurora from just by Newcastle

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Not a patch on the amazing images I've seen on here & elsewhere this past 24 hours but thought I'd share my efforts from March 7th. 1st time I've ever seen it, spotted a faint green from the window so rushed out with the older boy totally unprepared a few miles up the road to escape the light pollution (a bit!). Anyway the location (10 miles west of Newcastle) had no planning at all and despite it being a tiny, dead quiet road I still got a passing car mid-way through one shot. And I totally forgot to try my 50mm f/1.4 and just used the f/4 16-35, doh! So they're not the most inspiring shots either, and one has well blown out highlights, but not to worry, for a first timer I'm very happy (and the boy was too!)

Great images!

loving the Ist shot... colours and composition... though the 2 white rocks(?) by the side of the road are quite distracting

loving the Ist shot... colours and composition... though the 2 white rocks(?) by the side of the road are quite distracting

Thanks all. Yes fair point about the rocks. I lost sight of them with the excitement of the green stuff! Cheers

Number 2 works best for me - no distraction from the car headlightights or weird colour cast on the foreground, and the composition with the blurred clouds all lines up to point at the lights. Shadows are a little muddy, and I'd be inclined to try some tweaks with a gradient on the foreground using clarity, highlights & shadows + colour temperature & tint to clean things up a bit. You could clone out the white rock too.

Well done, for getting out & getting the shots. :)

Number 2 works best for me - no distraction from the car headlightights or weird colour cast on the foreground, and the composition with the blurred clouds all lines up to point at the lights. Shadows are a little muddy, and I'd be inclined to try some tweaks with a gradient on the foreground using clarity, highlights & shadows + colour temperature & tint to clean things up a bit. You could clone out the white rock too.

Well done, for getting out & getting the shots. :)
Thanks for the feedback, I'm somewhat of a beginner with LR so I'll give your tips a try, cheers. :)

I didn't even think you would see the lights from around here, Kudos to you Graeme for getting the shots, I like number 1 the best :)

I didn't even think you would see the lights from around here, Kudos to you Graeme for getting the shots, I like number 1 the best :)
Thanks! First (and maybe last?!) time! Cheers [emoji106]

Back