Aurora

Name
Leigh-Ann
Edit My Images
No
Aurora is really what got me started on my journey of photography and living on the NE Coast of Scotland gives me lots of opportunity to try and learn about night photography, here are a couple of images i took over Slains Castle on Mothers Day evening in 2015, a journey i almost turned back from due to the snow blizzards that night!!

Slains Castle Aurora
by Leigh-Ann Mitchell, on Flickr

Slains Castle Aurora

Slains Castle Aurora

Beautiful Leigh-Ann. Amazing colours and well processed too.

Thank you Ian it's always difficult processing Aurora images especially ones taken here in Scotland because it's not always so visible to the naked eye however on this occasion is was a big Aurora storm and this is exactly what you would have seen standing in this location in between the snow showers that is ha ha :D

Thank you also Brent62 & Holty :)

Last edited:
Marvellous work, Leigh-Ann- amazing & fascinating images .

Thank you doggle..... Slains Castle is a fascinating location to visit and sits right on the cliff edge it’s also know as Dracula’s castle with its connection to Bram stoker I will post an image in daylight tomorrow it really is a beautiful place I often visit it as it’s only 10 mins drive from my home :)

Just had a quick look on Flickr, at full size there's a lot of noise from where you've had to over-recover shadows. Possibly using a higher sensitivity, say 1600 or 3200, with the same exposure time might have helped, but it could just be that for this type of shot you either need to bracket & merge for HDR or have a camera with a better sensor.

Saying this doesn't detract from your work at all, but if there were a next time they might be even better.

Just had a quick look on Flickr, at full size there's a lot of noise from where you've had to over-recover shadows. Possibly using a higher sensitivity, say 1600 or 3200, with the same exposure time might have helped, but it could just be that for this type of shot you either need to bracket & merge for HDR or have a camera with a better sensor.

Saying this doesn't detract from your work at all, but if there were a next time they might be even better.

I know that’s the downside of Aurora shooting the images can be noisy when recovering the shadows I’m using the Canon 6D for my Landscape photography which has a pretty good ISO range ...... I’m still learning regarding bracketing & merging :(

Thanks for the info

Excellent set, well done (y)

Thank you it was pretty amazing watching them dance that evening...

I've never even seen them, let alone had the opportunity to photograph them! Still, there have to be some challenges to look forward to...

I've never even seen them, let alone had the opportunity to photograph them! Still, there have to be some challenges to look forward to...

Well i'm sure it will be worth the wait i have been lucky enough to see them many times and each time its a fantastic experience !

This one was taken from the top of my driveway on Hogmanay 2016 what a great way to see in the new year :)

AURORA

Back