Critique Auschwitz - B&W.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Before I went to visit museum I knew my job - to transfer unsettling atmosphere into a digital format, to achieve it photos had to be converted to B&W. Which is what I believe is my weak spot in photography.
Please could you pass me some critique regarding my monochrome conversion.

Auschwitz museum by Rudlin, on Flickr

Full set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudlin/sets/72157649181554653/

Thank you

Black and white conversions look good to me.

Good range of tones although 3 is a bit less punchy in that respect.

Some nice compositions and use of dof.

Hmmm I used same preset for all of the pictures. Which is a lot of clarity, some grain and vignetting. Perhaps I should have split into different sections for each composition then.

Hmmm I used same preset for all of the pictures.

Probably more to do with the quality and direction of light at the time of shooting.

See how the walls facing the street and gable ends are all the same.

i like all of them

1 and 2 are the best though

Ooh, that's given me the inspiration to visit a concentration camp to get some shots. (autocorrect wanted to replace shots with shoes) Thanks.

I visited Auschwitz a couple of years ago and regret taking notice of the signs saying no cameras, to the extent I returned my camera to the car.
There were loads of people who were taking photographs so it seems the rule is not enforced.

I hope to return - just to ensure we don't end up in a fight this is not meant as a criticism of those taking photographs.

ChasG during my visit only very grim exhibitions were forbidden to be photographed, crematorium for one, human hair for second. People would very much respect those rules.

To be honest I'm with @ChasG and I would have left the camera behind and having known someone who was in a liquidation camp, even more so.

I actually think your 3rd image is the most unsettlingly of the images because it just looks like regular blocks of buildings,

Yes I also think the third image is very unsettling, is that the Crematorium block in the centre of the photo?

No. Crematorium and gas chambers were by design built further away from living blocks as to not to instil dread into prisoners hearts.

For anyone who hasn't been, photography is banned inside buildings in Auschwitz I
And Birkenau is a MUST visit, more so than Auschwitz I

I'm just reading about Dachau Concentration camp in southern Germany, which says nothing about no photography in the FAQ or guidelines PDF. So I'll give it a try.

It is not permitted
 To disturb the peace of the dead in any way.
 To wear any article of clothing or symbols, whose manufacturing or sale is generally associated with right-wing extremist groups.
 To violate in any way the human dignity of others because of their origins, skin color or religion.
 To leave luggage unattended
 To smoke
 To eat
 To bring any vehicles
 To carry and display flags or banners
 To use media devices with loudspeakers
 To bring dogs

Permitted only with advance approval by the memorial management
 Any form of commercial film recordings
 Distribution of printed material of any kind
 Surveys of visitors or staff
 To carry and hang posters or banners
 Events, private memorial services, demonstrations
 Musical or artistic performances

Last edited:
Oh Dear --- I have booked a 4 day tour to Krakow with Wife and specifically wanted the Auschwitz day -- now you say 'No Photos allowed' surely I can get something there ?

Oh Dear --- I have booked a 4 day tour to Krakow with Wife and specifically wanted the Auschwitz day -- now you say 'No Photos allowed' surely I can get something there ?

Photography is banned inside the buildings.........however, without wishing to start a fight it is a little worryng that your goal for the trip involves reducing the site of horrific human mysery to "getting something". Maybe just an unfortunate turn of phrase

To be honest the first thing I noticed on all of them was the very obvious pp preset. I noticed that before I even looked at the subject. I'm all for consistency in editing, it's something I'm trying to achieve myself, but although they are of different subjects, they're all almost identical (if that even makes sense).

Mmmmm.....these dont say concentration camp to me at all i'm afraid. not sure that its the processing, rather the shots themselves. Take the hugely emotive title away and they could be anywhere?

This might suggest the issue (if indeed there is one) is with the actual shots rather than the pp.

I havent visited but can only imagine the feelings and emotions it must instill however, these don't capture them for me.

Sorry!

Yes -- 'turn of phrase' as usual by me -- I need some photos for my Children's School research.

Mmmmm.....these dont say concentration camp to me at all i'm afraid. not sure that its the processing, rather the shots themselves. Take the hugely emotive title away and they could be anywhere?

This might suggest the issue (if indeed there is one) is with the actual shots rather than the pp.

I havent visited but can only imagine the feelings and emotions it must instill however, these don't capture them for me.

Sorry!

Apart from the gas cans... :agree:

Thank you all for the valuable input to this thread. Auschwitz is a striking museum to see, and at this point I do not even wish to return to the post-processing as the actual experience of even processing those photos was unsettling enough.

As for people raising concern about ban on photography. I would wish to clarify certain things:

Upon entry to the museum first sign will tell: All flash photography is banned.

Photographing inside of the building blocks is allowed, with the following exception -
  1. Take photos in the buildings with the use of flash units or tripods. Taking photos is entirely forbidden in Room 5 of Block 4 and in the cellars of Block 11.
It is not mentioned however, but taking photographs is forbidden in the gas chamber as well.

Have a nice day.

Apart from the gas cans... :agree:

Yeah, but even knowing where they were taken it took me a moment to realise what they were. Without the title and as a standalone image would you have known? Obviously the shots that might give you a clue as to the location are probably forbidden and rightly so.

I fully understand the OP's reluctance to re-edit. Visiting these camps must be a harrowing experience and thinking while editing does take it out of you.

It's a place I have to visit one day. Incredible that it's only 70 years ago this was going on. A lesson on how cruel a human being can be in the right circumstances. A good set on your flickr page.

Were these just straight greyscale conversions with just the clarity, grain and vignetting? For me, I'd like to see more contrast but keeping it simple does seem somehow more respectful to the subject matter.

Generally speaking though, I find converting to B&W then using adjusting each colour channel from the raw separately can make B&W images more striking.

Last edited:
It's a place I have to visit one day. Incredible that it's only 70 years ago this was going on. A lesson on how cruel a human being can be in the right circumstances. A good set on your flickr page.

And sadly some countries have still not learned the lesson. I was out in Kosovo just after the war photographing, exhuming mass graves and recovering the forensic evidence as part of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office British Forensic Teams contribution to UNMIK. What I witnessed was truly disturbing and I'm still haunted by those images today. Bizarrely, while I was out there 'Nazis a warning from history' was being shown on BFBS TV,

I think this is good quality set of images and the subject has been tastefully recorded. Would I visit Auschwitz or any of the other death camps ? No.

Last edited:
A humbling visit by the looks of it. I like the use of dof in your shots.

The first picture does it for me, great shot and just has a certain feeling to it that i am finding hard to explain. Was it hard to get the shots you were after in such a moving environment? not sure i could concentrate on taking any if i went.

1, 2, & 4 get to me emotionally regardless of knowing where they were taken. The first is maybe the most emotive - seeing the word 'block', and the black '2' shaped like a swan ....

3 is less directly emotive, more documentary ...

It seems in general photography for tourists is allowed inside and out. But no flash or tripods indoors. And in certain places it is completely forbidden.
But it is easy to find out on the web before you go:

Auschwitz II-Birkenau Prohibitions
On the grounds of the Museum, it is prohibited to:
  1. Light candles in places other than specifically designated areas (i.e. the Death Wall in Auschwitz I and the International Monument to the Victims of the Camp in Auschwitz II-Birkenau).
  2. Consume food or alcohol, smoke and use e-cigarettes.
  3. Use vehicles of any kind except for wheelchairs.
  4. Enter blocks and other structures in Auschwitz I with baby pushchairs.
  5. Enter with animals, either walked or carried (the prohibition does not apply to guide dogs accompanying blind persons).
  6. Enter with flags on poles, banners, posters, advertisements; conduct canvassing or door-to-door sales.
  7. Possess weapons, items and substances which may pose a danger to life, health, or safety.
  8. Enter under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicative substances.
  9. Take photos in the buildings with the use of flash units or tripods. Taking photos is entirely forbidden in Room 5 of Block 4 and in the cellars of Block 11.
  10. Use musical instruments, radio receivers or other acoustic devices.
  11. Use mobile phones in the exhibition buildings.
  12. Use drone cameras over and on the grounds of the Museum without authorisation of the Director.

Last edited:
Back