Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Visited here last week with my wife, the pair of us are still taken aback by the scale of everything that occurred here....

31884716944_a6c2ef1e8f.jpg
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Qzxvv3]Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RF9XoV]Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RNsDid]Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RCv63w]Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Mark

None of the photos are showing in the thread for me? I've just copied one of the BB codes and pasted below to show it. you might want to edit your original post to get them to display?

edit: photo removed now yours are showing.

I've looked on your Flickr stream and a good set of photos that will always struggle to convey the enormity of what happened there.

Last edited:
Mark

None of the photos are showing in the thread for me? I've just copied one of the BB codes and pasted below to show it. you might want to edit your original post to get them to display?

Thanks, noticed that as soon as I posted and just amended.

Very difficult if not impossible to put across the despair and horror of this place...

Thank you for the kind comment though.

No problem. I've edited my post now yours are showing

The red shoe is the one that strikes the greatest emotion for me.

I'm going in a few weeks. Not sure how I'll feel about it.

Thanks for sharing; something to think about.

I'm going in a few weeks. Not sure how I'll feel about it.

Thanks for sharing; something to think about.
Its definately something to think about, you just cannot imagine too horror the inmates were put through, seeing the snow on the ground after reading of the cold water torture just to see how long someone could last. It is a very apt reminder, and I do think it should be kept as a memorial.

Its definately something to think about, you just cannot imagine too horror the inmates were put through, seeing the snow on the ground after reading of the cold water torture just to see how long someone could last. It is a very apt reminder, and I do think it should be kept as a memorial.

The stories that are told by the guides are heartbreaking, I don't think I've ever spent so much time in silence just listening.

It should be on every ones list of places to visit in my opinion.

Thank you to everyone who has viewed and commented on the images here and on Flickr.

The stories that are told by the guides are heartbreaking, I don't think I've ever spent so much time in silence just listening.

It should be on every ones list of places to visit in my opinion.

Agree completely... it should be a compulsory visit for everyone, I didn't take any photos at all when we visited last year, the memory of the visit is a permanent one I'm sure

Simon

I didn't take any photos at all when we visited last year

Simon, I took no photos inside the 9/11 memorial museum in New York last year, I felt that it was just not appropriate.

So I have to admit I was in two minds as to whether to take photographs or not... But I wanted my son to see a little of what we saw and to enable me to pass on what we were told with images.

But I still wonder whether it was the right thing to do.

Simon, I took no photos inside the 9/11 memorial museum in New York last year, I felt that it was just not appropriate.

So I have to admit I was in two minds as to whether to take photographs or not... But I wanted my son to see a little of what we saw and to enable me to pass on what we were told with images.

But I still wonder whether it was the right thing to do.

I think it is worth the photos so more people experience the feelings, though it must be hard to take pictures like that, yours portrayed the grim events of this place very well.

I think it is worth the photos so more people experience the feelings, though it must be hard to take pictures like that, yours portrayed the grim events of this place very well.

Thank you, very kind of you to say.

Back