1. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    One thing I have always struggled with ever since I joined is resizing my pictures to upload to TP, and it seems I am not alone in this from the searching I have just done, so as a result I tend not to post many, which could be a blessing ..?
    I can get them small enough to load, but they are never sharp compared to other peoples.
    Would it be hard to implement some sort of auto-resizing tool for those of us who are clearly not much good at these things..?

Very many thanks if it is possible!

2. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I use Lightroom to produce the jpeg for uploading. I export as a jpeg with a maximum size for the long edge. That works fine for me. Once you have done this, the image will be a smaller image. If you try to zoom in to make it the same size as the original, definition and resolution will be visibly worse - so don't zoom in.

stevewestern likes this.
  3. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    I use Photoshop and the 'Save for web' option, to drop to 1024 pixels on the longest edge and below 500Kb.
    Ifranview is a viewing programme that can also do batch resizing.

stevewestern likes this.
  4. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    John - Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying, but I am talking about something slightly different. I use ACDSee software, have always tried to resize a copy to 899 along the long edge and in order to get an image to load onto TP I need to reduce the quality such that it looks pretty rubbish - and that's not to do with the content..

Thank to you too Roger - I've just downloaded Irfanview and am trying it out - lets see how this looks..
    PS Guess what I've just ordered...

[​IMG]
    goose
    by stevewestern on Talk Photography

Hmm. Better but still not as sharp as I'd like it to look - I'll keep trying..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    889 pixels are not very many. 1250 pixels would be a lot better and give better IQ. The software you use should not matter. Use the resize option with 1250 pixels and you should be fine .

I need to repeat: the uploaded image will not be as good as your original - do not compare them.

6. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It always used to be the largest size I could get to upload John!
    Also, I am comparing like for like - the resized image on my pc, and when it is posted on TP..
    The goose is bigger (1024 I think) as per gramps suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can I ask you how you are uploading the image to TP? There are two options - upload image or upload file. The first - upload image - has an icon at the top of the posting window. Ignore this. Below the posting window is an option to upload a file - I use this.

8. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    As John says it will never look quite as good as your pre-uploaded image, there is some compression in the upload to the forum I believe and that will have an effect.
    I use Flickr and use the BBCode to embed the image with the option to click on it to view it in Flickr, that way you can see what the original looks like. :)
    PS not sure what you mean by 'ordered' Irfanview, the basic is free and works fine for resizing.

stevewestern likes this.
  9. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Not a lot of difference between a resized original and the image as viewed on the forum. I resize (often simply by cropping to a suitable pixel size) in PSE then sharpen as necessary for the resized image then save as, again adjusting file size using the quality slider to get below the file size limit (?350kB?). I almost always use the Upload a File button since I can't get at my Flickr account (due to my own problems!) and found their resharpening algorithm bu99ers up images anyway (unless you upload images to there at the correct size for posting here.)

stevewestern likes this.
  10. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    All I see is the option to upload photo's, which then gives me the option to upload a file.
    It could be me showing my age...
    I'll keep trying, but to get back to my first post, it would be good if there were some way to auto-resize as this has been a problem for me for well over a decade, and from what I've seen on here several others also struggle with this. Mods, over to you ?

However, many thanks to everyone for their input - guess that for now I've got an excuse for missing focus and blurry pictures..!

11. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I only ever use 800 pixels longest edge on the web. Easy from lightroom

I don't think there's many struggle to generate a small image

12. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't struggle to make a small image, its just trying to get one that looks sharp compared to others I see on here.
    There have been a couple of threads from people in a similar position, and there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules which is why I think it might be a good option, and I can't see it being hard to implement....

13. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Upload a File button is on the right, below the posting window, next to the Post Reply button.

14. Marc

Marc Mucky Rims Staff Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    There isn't an upload image option. The image icon Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 17.21.05.png is to put IMG tags around a URL for a photo which has been uploaded elsewhere.

TheBigYin likes this.
  15. stryvya

stryvya

Name:
    Lennard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Which ACDSee Software?

on ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018 you have the Option to Export the File, this gives you many Options to change, Pixels, Resize, etc.

Try various options there.

16. Nev

Nev

Name:
    Neville
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This program sizes the photos to whatever you want, you can get the trial version and if you like it buy the full version.I've been using this for about five years now. Tend to use it mostly for emails and other forums where there's a size issue.
    http://www.obviousidea.com/shop/?from=lir5&source=app

17. stryvya

stryvya

Name:
    Lennard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Standing around_1.jpg

Posted using Export on ACDSee Ultimate 2018

18. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've actually just downloaded ultimate 2018, though not installed it yet. Currently using whatever the previous version was.
    However the problem I have is that there is seemingly no standard way to do it (resizing at quality)
    I posted a picture on TP which didn't look sharp. 899 pixels long. I then sharpened it and tried to post it again, but it was now too large. I reduced the size to 850 pixels, still too large.
    Now I don't imagine my pictures are going to have a big impact on the forum, but if there was an automated resizing option I'd post a lot more. As it is, the few I do post lack punch and sharpness, so I tend not to...
    Obviously most people manage without a problem but before starting this thread I did a search and there are certainly a few others like me...

19. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    DSC_3558e2.jpg

Hmm. Still not as sharp, but better.
    Using Stryva's suggestion of exporting via ACDSee..
    Guess its just me, but if not then might it (auto-resizing) be a possible update for the forum..?

Thanks for the help everyone !

20. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Might be an odd thing to say, but have you thought about uploading to flicker?
    (I don't think, ( but not 100% sure) that there are size limits on flicker up loads.)
    And then using the BB code to post here? flicker gives you "sizing options" when posting.
    When you post the image if its small you can click it through to the flicker original

ie

Opera Snapshot_2018-03-13_202857_www.flickr.com.png

Click the thumbnail to see what I mean

[​IMG]
    129A3780
    by Chris, on Flickr

there is a guide to using flicker
    here
    https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/inserting-images-from-flickr-updated-22-08-15.7/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  21. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not an odd thing Chris - many thanks, I've never used flickr, but maybe I should. The thing is that I've not got a problem resizing pictures, but when I upload them to TP they just loose sharpness - and I am comparing the resized version on my pc. It's not a tiny amount either.
    I have to say that I do feel a bit stupid admitting this given how long I've been a part of the forum - maybe I should buy a soft-focus lens then no-one will ever know.. .

Maggie52 and Cobra like this.
  22. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks to Cobra, I now have a flickr account. Lets see if this works...

[​IMG]DSC_3617e3 by Steve Powell, on Flickr

Blimey... A sharp image from me !!

Maggie52 and Cobra like this.
  23. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    and it's facing the right way ... incredible what hosting can do! ;)

24. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No all birds turn tail when I approach....!

[​IMG]DSC_7998e2 by Steve Powell, on Flickr

gramps likes this.
  25. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Brilliant stuff Steve, I'm glad that it worked out for you (y)

stevewestern likes this.