(Automotive) Advice/Critique Please - First time speedlite shoot.

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, this was my first time using a speedlite so I'd really like some constructive C&C and also general advice please. I think I did 'ok' but ok isn't good enough for me. The thing I'm unhappy with is the shadows. They make the photo look very harsh and messy. What do you think? Also, how do you stop the mirrors reflecting on the bodywork?

I was shooting with a 6d and speedlite was a Yongnuo 685 off camera, on a stand, triggered by transmitter.

Two things come to mind that I could have done differently to improve. 1/Raise the flash stand so that the shadows were not so pronounced. 2/Shoot long exposures and trigger flash manually from different position. Would either of these things helped? What else could be done? I would have really liked to try number 2 but time was limited. Maybe a softbox would have done wonders?

The album is here if you want to see all of the shots:

https://www.facebook.com/SnappedByDan/photos/?tab=album&album_id=660615870779218

Really appreciate any advice and comments, and regardless its fun to learn something new and progress. Client was a friend, I'd never try something untested with a paying client.

15272254_660616264112512_1258004519248017363_o.jpg

15167691_660616380779167_2266415577795642749_o.jpg

15250679_660616384112500_2780817440299497542_o.jpg

15168761_660616437445828_3064163457577439188_o.jpg

15129543_660616460779159_7746953406280664544_o.jpg

With this shot, I was going for an almost silhouette. Its probably the shot I was happiest with but still feel it could be improved somehow. Maybe its just a case of practice, practice practice.

15235547_660621834111955_1578384141883465941_o.jpg

Last edited:
Automotive photography isn't really my thing altough I dabble occasionally, I like number-whatever (hint, numbering photos helps get feedback) with the low down front quarter angle. The fifth one down.

The window haze/flare in the last shot is distracting. I'm not entirel convinced about the combination of car and location, but can't quite put a finger on why - not quite "clean" and not quite "gritty".

Very good first effort and something to build on.

Btw, nothng unusual with 24-48hrs without comment. And bumping it yourself removes it from the "threads without a reply" feed.

Pretty good for a first go! I've a big fan of this kind of photography and i'm still getting my head around it. Ideally you need less light and let the flash gun do the lighting.

I'd try:

A longer exposure and fire the flash manually
Stand further away and hold it higher
Try the same distance but turn down the power

I started off with a single flash gun,then upgraded to 3 and its alot easier. With a single it just takes time and practice,take loads of shots with the flash in different positions (cos you can guarantee when you merge the files,part of the car won't be as exposed as the rest)

(mine are far from perfect but here are a couple of examples)

25727609653_1808fea4b9_z.jpg

25091760890_0fbf4f07b5_z.jpg

Automotive photography isn't really my thing altough I dabble occasionally, I like number-whatever (hint, numbering photos helps get feedback) with the low down front quarter angle. The fifth one down.

The window haze/flare in the last shot is distracting. I'm not entirel convinced about the combination of car and location, but can't quite put a finger on why - not quite "clean" and not quite "gritty".

Very good first effort and something to build on.

Btw, nothng unusual with 24-48hrs without comment. And bumping it yourself removes it from the "threads without a reply" feed.

Good points on numbering and being patient for replies, thank you :) Good point about the hazy window on the silhouette shot, it didn't jump out at me until you said it. Will have to keep that in mind for similar shots. Location was definitely not a considered choice, bit last minute and rushed because his girlfriend was cold. Thank you for the constructive feedback :)

Pretty good for a first go! I've a big fan of this kind of photography and i'm still getting my head around it. Ideally you need less light and let the flash gun do the lighting.

I'd try:

A longer exposure and fire the flash manually
Stand further away and hold it higher
Try the same distance but turn down the power

I started off with a single flash gun,then upgraded to 3 and its alot easier. With a single it just takes time and practice,take loads of shots with the flash in different positions (cos you can guarantee when you merge the files,part of the car won't be as exposed as the rest)

(mine are far from perfect but here are a couple of examples)

25727609653_1808fea4b9_z.jpg

25091760890_0fbf4f07b5_z.jpg

Thanks so much Chris, appreciate the kind words. These shots are great, exactly where I want to get to. After just one shoot with the flash, I am absolutely getting one more and then another when I can. I wish I invested in them sooner. They'll pay dividends for portraits/weddings too anyway! Good advice on different things to try too. Thank you! :)

In most of the shots the stronger shadows are not from the flash, they are from the overhead light that it's parked under. If the vehicle wasn't so close to the building I don't think the flash generated shadows would have shown much, if at all.

Just a couple from me:

Location: as with light painting you really need to watch ambient light or account for it with a higher lower f-stop, with the shallow D.O.F in your other shots, it'd suggest why the ambient light is so bright in comparison to the flash.
White Balance: if you can't get around ambient, try use flash gels to compensate for the difference in colour (Shot #2, the front of the car has a purple hue to it).
Streaky Windows: A nightmare in light painting, that can be solved either by putting the windows down, or what I like to do - put the flash in the car to light the interior, or use a CPL and composite the shot.
Miscellaneous: Try turn wheels in a few shots, turn lights on for a few hots, tidy up stray reflections in PP.

Good first offer though, far better than mine, I'm by no means an expert on this stuff - still very much a beginner.

Darker location next time around will make a huge difference and it'll be easier to see changes you make.

Compositing a shot with a single flash is probably a better bet at first.

Hopefully that helps :)

sko77y and sk66, thank you both so much. Really, really helpful feedback and its massively appreciated! I've actually written all of this down in my little notebook :) CPL is on my list.

I was actually trying to get in MORE ambient light, not less. I think given more time at the location, I would have tried it with a higher aperture and maybe been happier with the results.

Broken, how do you know him? Maybe we've met :) pm me

Back