Automotive photography

Name
Steve Hall
Edit My Images
No
Had a quick browse, seems there's not a lot of car photography here, so I thought I'd post some of my old faves as well as recent work, to share for C&C.

Attachments

• Morgan_Aeromax_2013-06-23_DSC_4519.jpg
    Morgan_Aeromax_2013-06-23_DSC_4519.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_1644.jpg
    DSC_1644.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 46
  • _D3B7843.jpg
    _D3B7843.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 43
The Morgan (as you'll see from my profile pic!) is a true old favourite, one of the most fun shoots ever - I was given the keys for 24hrs and told to make cool stuff. This was rigged, I was lucky to get some low sunlight spilling through the trees, combined with a 30sec exposure made for something a bit surreal which suits the car.

Lamborghini. What a mad shoot that was. Picked car up from factory near Bologna, shoot the road trip back to uk (was for EVO magazine, if you know it). The factory, being typically Italianate, were somewhat ambivalent about our need to make a lot of miles that day as our 9am pickup turned into a 12:30 departure. Given they'd found a fuel leak on a morning test drive, it was probably better that way. It did mean that by the time we reached a spot in rural France where we were going to overnight, it was almost sunset, and I had to drive at unmentionable speed to get this shot. Literally plonked tripod, pinged a handful of frames, and it was gone.

Nissan. Looooong hours on this shoot. We shot the usual press pack stuff all day up to sunset, but they wanted a selection of afterdark creative stuff too. We finished on the Welsh mountain around 1:30am, knowing we needed to be back at 4:30 for sunrise.... ouch.

I do love a sunrise/sunset. The classic Porsche was shot in Germany after the owner (who's become a good friend over the years) advised he knew of 'a great place for pictures' near his home. I normally worry when non photographers say that, because it's usually a nice building or something, totally unsuitable for shooting cars where I just want a nice landscape, preferably west/east facing. Well, this time he came up trumps....

Ferrari was shot last week 10miles from home; client had little time and we're trying to keep miles down. This is about the only spot I know near Southend that'll give me a nice visual with the sunset. It's all about the light really.

Porsche shot in Wales (for Porsche UK); not the best shot from the shoot but shows the kind of action stuff we need. Day one (when I had my assistants) was gloomy and occasionally wet; so you can imagine how doing these shots is tricky when you're chasing a car @ 30mph down a mountain road, trying to balance shutter speed vs physical speed, knowing the filter is going to be covered in water droplets in about 4 secs. Frustrating. But when it's gloomy, the only way to extract something dramatic is impression of speed, so.....

Attachments

• OD4_8687lr.jpg
    OD4_8687lr.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 26
  • OD4_1983.jpg
    OD4_1983.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_8457.jpg
    DSC_8457.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
Back