Autumn at Beecraigs

Name
Blair
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few pictures from a weekend walk with my Wife and our Nephew.
First time trying to use the 55mm 1.8 in anger, missed focus a few times (he moves so much!) and its perhaps not as sharp as I was expecting so may need to do some tests on static objects so see if I need to calibrate (it is second hand). I may have also been guilty of sticking to 1.8 since I haven't had it available to me since I got this camera

Overall I am happy with them as a set, there is a few more but these ones went down best on facebook :)

Cheers

Beecraigs-02400
by Blair Lochrie

Beecraigs-02427
by Blair Lochrie

Beecraigs-02490
by Blair Lochrie

Beecraigs-02713
by Blair Lochrie

the pics all seem soft where was the focus point ?
if you use the lens wide open at 1.8 you will have very very very shallow depth of field
if you use it to close to the persons head it can do funny things to the head shape and nose shape

it takes a bit of practice to use it to its full potential.
i was up beecraige this morning as well it was windy !

Yeah they are a bit soft which I think I covered fairly well in the introduction

#1 - missed focus slightly, seemed to have settled on his mouth / chin
#2 - ok I think, close to the eyes
#3 - again, ok - his right (our left) eye
#4 - his face to push the foreground objects oof

Small children have a habit of making sharp lenses look soft as ice cream in my experience, what with their constant moving and unwillingness to hold still :LOL: something I experienced again this afternoon with my daughter :)

I like the photographs though, they capture the feeling of his exploring :D

Small children have a habit of making sharp lenses look soft as ice cream in my experience, what with their constant moving and unwillingness to hold still :LOL: something I experienced again this afternoon with my daughter :)

I like the photographs though, they capture the feeling of his exploring :D
Absolutely. My two year olds skin seems to lack contrast and really confuses the af system!

Hopefully we can get back out with him in the coming weeks and get some more images.
I do think I am trying to be too specific with my focus using a flexible spot, maybe a move to an area AF would help with him movement.

I wouldn't worry to be honest mate - I think you've captured him brilliantly & they are really nice documentary shots. That 2nd shot is brilliant btw, love everything about that one. Very nicely done (y)

My 55mm is the same - sharp as a tack when I nail focus but actually nailing focus is the difficult bit when it comes to super feral toddlers (my daughter :LOL:)

if you use the lens wide open at 1.8 you will have very very very shallow depth of field
if you use it to close to the persons head it can do funny things to the head shape and nose shape
!

What?? Are you confusing focal length with using a lens wide open? Aperture makes no difference to compression

Back