Autumn colour Derwent water

If it wasn't for those ripples and that awful duck I'd be all over that picture. I suspect though it will resonate more with others because of that. But not me. They're detractiona for me. There's also a distant road sign that I'd remove and a wooden footbridge I'd have composed out

I like two though. Stunning light and the landscape as god made it. And no ducks. Duck belongs on the dinner plate, not in images

Last edited:
very nice indeed. while i don't mind the duck the unsymmetrical long streak in the water is distracting. easily fixed with cloning though.

I often like seeing wildlife in landscape pictures but I think the duck is distracting here, it and the bright ripple are taking your eyes from the main subject which is those trees and is cutting into the reflection. I think it would be worth doing some duck cloning or finding a shot without, as that scene is pretty gorgeous.

Top one has a very good potential. First of all it is tilting maybe 1-2 degrees anti-clockwise (see reflection lines). The current, post-capture crop is not ideal and that is probably the one thing I would try and change. It's all about the duck and ripple but unlike Steve I have something very different in mind. While you could clone it out very cleanly you would be left with rather mundane bottom. Instead I would want to place the V shape in a stronger position:
a) crop it off from the left to the bridge inclusive and a bit from the right so the V is in the 3rds
b) crop some from the bottom and maybe some from the sides

2nd one should have been essentially a vertical shot from the middle section. That highlight should be dealt with too.

Up near 'Pike Island' down at the Manesty end I see Alf.
Love the colour.

Dont look for Pike Island on a map, its my own name, caught first ever Pike when I was about 11 when staying at what was Low Manesty then.

If it wasn't for those ripples and that awful duck I'd be all over that picture. I suspect though it will resonate more with others because of that. But not me. They're detractiona for me. There's also a distant road sign that I'd remove and a wooden footbridge I'd have composed out

I like two though. Stunning light and the landscape as god made it. And no ducks. Duck belongs on the dinner plate, not in images

Thanks Steve
The sentiment about the duck is no surprise but the light was gone before the duck in fact there are two in the later frames

I like the top one a lot. Steve's comment about the duck is funny but I don't agree with him..... ;)

It might have been possible to hide the bridge so if you cloned it out would anyone know?

Thanks Jerry
I was in 2 minds about the bridge

very nice indeed. while i don't mind the duck the unsymmetrical long streak in the water is distracting. easily fixed with cloning though.

Thanks
I get the point of the long streak

I often like seeing wildlife in landscape pictures but I think the duck is distracting here, it and the bright ripple are taking your eyes from the main subject which is those trees and is cutting into the reflection. I think it would be worth doing some duck cloning or finding a shot without, as that scene is pretty gorgeous.

A theme developing

Last edited:
Top one has a very good potential. First of all it is tilting maybe 1-2 degrees anti-clockwise (see reflection lines). The current, post-capture crop is not ideal and that is probably the one thing I would try and change. It's all about the duck and ripple but unlike Steve I have something very different in mind. While you could clone it out very cleanly you would be left with rather mundane bottom. Instead I would want to place the V shape in a stronger position:
a) crop it off from the left to the bridge inclusive and a bit from the right so the V is in the 3rds
b) crop some from the bottom and maybe some from the sides

2nd one should have been essentially a vertical shot from the middle section. That highlight should be dealt with too.

All worth a look

Duck (Canada Goose?) makes No:1 for me, with changes largely as per [Censored] :)

Dave

Thanks Dave
Not sure what changes you mean

number 2 for me, the light is stunning

Thanks Colin

Up near 'Pike Island' down at the Manesty end I see Alf.
Love the colour.

Dont look for Pike Island on a map, its my own name, caught first ever Pike when I was about 11 when staying at what was Low Manesty then.

Thanks Alan
I was talking to a pike fisherman earlier this year on ashness jetty

The duck adds to the image as the wake it makes in the water point up to that tree and the stunning light. The 2nd, just my opinion, I'd maybe crop a little to remove that bright point at the top of the frame.

Thanks Gareth

2 beautiful images, Alf
#1 I like the positioning of the duck leading the eye to the brightest tree.
#2 Well spotted and great light but I would clone or crop the wee triangle of light at the top

Thanks Mike
I get what you mean about the triangle I didnt think of cloning it out

Lovely Alf, both of them :)

Les

Thanks Les

Back