Undecided Autumn Colours

I’ve spent the last couple of days in the Peak District, wonderful autumn colour now...The last two mornings have been absolutely stunning with mist and spectacular light, and golden hour last night was superb. It’s interesting how most oak trees have barely started to turn but beech and birch are mainly showing well. At least there’s plenty of leaves left after the high winds. These last few days have been perfect autumn conditions I’d say

I’ve spent the last couple of days in the Peak District, wonderful autumn colour now...The last two mornings have been absolutely stunning with mist and spectacular light, and golden hour last night was superb. It’s interesting how most oak trees have barely started to turn but beech and birch are mainly showing well. At least there’s plenty of leaves left after the high winds. These last few days have been perfect autumn conditions I’d say
Don't know where you visited but I've never seen Padley Gorge so short of colour.

Don't know where you visited but I've never seen Padley Gorge so short of colour.

Padley Gorge isn’t the only place to photograph autumn in the Peak District...I went up Win Hill, visited the woodlands beside Ladybower, Gardoms Edge, Grindslow Knoll, Surprise View, Longshaw Estate...I walked past Padley but didn’t go in, however the mix of colour in the morning light was beautiful. I think the difference this year is a lot of beech trees are at full colour already whereas oak generally hasn’t changed much so far. Birch and rowan trees are putting on a great display, and mixed with the bracken look stunning.

Last edited:
On Friday I went over the north side od the cotswolds and the leaves are nice that way, However a lot are on the ground.
In North Summerset they are not as far advanced, but due to the recent high winds I lot of leaves have already been blown off.
Back in Milton Keynes (Not very exciting I know) the leave that have turned brown are dropping loads. Must have been the cold nights.

Pete

This weekend, the colours are more advanced, but much more are on the ground. Still very few red leaves showing.

Pete

Went over to the forest of dean, last weekend and a few nice splashes of golden colours but still a lot of green leaves left on the trees

Just thought i'd give a little update to this thread. The colours are really starting to show now, even the Oaks are showing good colour.

This was taken on Sunday, the weather conditions were not great mist, drizzle and it was quite dark too.

A view from my garden, South Shropshire

untitled-109-Pano by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Just thought i'd give a little update to this thread. The colours are really starting to show now, even the Oaks are showing good colour.

This was taken on Sunday, the weather conditions were not great mist, drizzle and it was quite dark too.

I agree, the colours are at or very near to thier best here in Milton Keynes, what is left of the leaves anyway.

Similar in south Cheshire at the moment, I'm hoping the leaves will survive today's wind and rain and planning to get out on Sunday to take some photos (if the sunny intervals the forecasters have predicted actually arrive).

The Quantocks in Somerset were still pretty good yesterday... although I don't think much will be left after the wind and rain that's just picking up now!

The Quantocks in Somerset were still pretty good yesterday... although I don't think much will be left after the wind and rain that's just picking up now!

Nice! A bit different to the last time I was up there. Having just come back today from a week in the Algarve (nice colour down the A38) I don't think there's going to be much left by the end of today :(

The Lake District valleys were still looking good this week but it was raining leaves in areas exposed to the strong winds. I started photographing a scene in Borrowdale with an autumnal tree and twenty minutes later it had been stripped bare, the same was happening by Derwent Water, but lots of opportunities for abstract shots with the leaves in the water and reflected bare trees

Back